2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

As if they made any effort before this but, ESPN is no longer hiding their love of all things Red Sox. Has anyone noticed that ESPN's new baseball promos feature a background that is a dead ringer for The Green Monster?

You're crazy - the background is that of a generic old-school hand-operated scoreboard. If anything, it's closer to either Wrigley Field or the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium...not the Monster.

I may be crazy but I disagree. It isn't a complete rip-off but it's more Fenway than anything else

LOL! I think I'm hearing boos towards President Bush. That's classic!!

Thank you, National fans. You made Opening Night great... BTW, that ballpark is nice. That High Def scoreboard is nothing short of pure beauty.

Bush booed as he throws out the first pitch. lol

I am no fan of President Bush but I think booing him was a pretty lousy thing to do. There's a time and a place for politics and a baseball game isn't it. He was there in a ceremonial role. It wasn't a campaign stop. They should have shown the proper respect. Show a little class Nats fans.

Great park though.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! I think I'm hearing boos towards President Bush. That's classic!!

Thank you, National fans. You made Opening Night great... BTW, that ballpark is nice. That High Def scoreboard is nothing short of pure beauty.

Bush booed as he throws out the first pitch. lol

I am no fan of President Bush but I think booing him was a pretty lousy thing to do. There's a time and a place for politics and a baseball game isn't it. He was there in a ceremonial role. It wasn't a campaign stop. They should have shown the proper respect. Show a little class Nats fans.

Great park though.

I agree. Booing stains the tradition of the presidental first pitch.

The only reasons I would have booed Bush at a baseball game in Washington is he was an owner of the Texas Rangers, who were once the Washington Senators... so guilty by assocation.... and that pitch was just a bit too high :oops:

I saw, I came, I left.

Great park though.

The only reasons I would have booed Bush at a baseball game in Washington is he was an owner of the Texas Rangers, who were once the Washington Senators... so guilty by assocation.... and that pitch was just a bit too high :oops:

You pay your money, you get to boo and cheer whomever you like. It's part of the rules. And no person in our country is so untouchable that they can't be booed. President Bush seals himself off from dissenting voices. If he only gets to hear how people really feel about him at a baseball park, then so be it. Again, those people bought tickets. It's their right to boo if they wish.

Also, is anyone else not all that blow away by Nationals Ballpark? It looks....like a baseball stadium. That's it. There's nothing especially nice about it. It reminds me an awful lot of Great American Ballpark, but at least that stadium overlooks the Ohio River.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1. Is the park going to remain "National's Park" or is this just a temp. thing until they get a sponsor?

2. It would have looked nicer if they went with navy seats instead of royal, as it would have gone better with there scheme, and further distinguished the park from Citizens Bank Park.

3. Sorry if this was covered, but what's with the one-game "series" to open the season? Washington has a series in Philadelphia starting tomorrow, so they're already in a spot where they're #2 is going against another team's #1 (although in this rare instance, that may work to their benefit.) Has this ever been done in baseball before? It seems very silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great park though.

You pay your money, you get to boo and cheer whomever you like. It's part of the rules. And no person in our country is so untouchable that they can't be booed. President Bush seals himself off from dissenting voices. If he only gets to hear how people really feel about him at a baseball park, then so be it. Again, those people bought tickets. It's their right to boo if they wish.

Also, is anyone else not all that blow away by Nationals Ballpark? It looks....like a baseball stadium. That's it. There's nothing especially nice about it. It reminds me an awful lot of Great American Ballpark, but at least that stadium overlooks the Ohio River.

The park is nice, but not in the top 5 in the league to me. It looks nice, and it does have some views of the Anacostia River, Capitol Building, and Washington Monument, but nothing spactacular.

Easily behind PNC, PetCo, Camden, Fenway, Wrigley, and Minuite Maid in terms of watching on TV.

I do like the backstop at Nationals Park. The rock, slate, whatever it is, is very nice looking and is a change from the normal green padding. It is the thing you see most while watching a game on TV and it is a nice change.

saBS.png

Well, compared to the poorly maintained RFK, this place is a huge upgrade. Also, it's modern appearance is a sort of welcome relief from the rash of retro-style ballparks we've seen since Camden Yards.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

OPENING DAY! The best sports day of the year! Finally. Can't wait to see the Nats new park. Enjoy the experience Donjunagoaty.

Go anyone who is playing the Red Sox.

In related news...

As if they made any effort before this but, ESPN is no longer hiding their love of all things Red Sox. Has anyone noticed that ESPN's new baseball promos feature a background that is a dead ringer for The Green Monster?

Well, I'm so excited for another season of Boston-bashing. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but just because they show a green scoreboard doesn't proclaim love for one team from a national network. I don't think the Red Sox own the color green, plus it is widely associated with baseball. Whatever though.

I can't believe I turned the game off. I even forget the reason why I did. Plus Moylan is on my fantasy team. ^_^

Regarding the Park: It looks nice. As others have said, not top-of-the-line, but probably above average. A bit cookie-cutter, but it's always nice to see a new park not screwed up. It look sa lot better than the Braves' away uniforms. :P

Great park though.

Bull- :censored:. It's different and you know it. A baseball game isn't a political forum. The President was there representing the office and the country not his politics or his policies. We certainly have the right to boo him at a ball game but that doesn't make it any less disrespectful. The President has those same rights but if he had used his time in the booth on ESPN to make a pitch for his policies or the GOP agenda you would be leading the charge to bitch about it.

BB52Big.jpg

Well, I'm so excited for another season of Boston-bashing. :rolleyes:

And I am excited for another season of watching you whine every time someone says something that isn't complementary about your team. You may be the most sensitive fan I have ever run across. Lighten up Francis. :P

BB52Big.jpg

Bull- :censored:. It's different and you know it. A baseball game isn't a political forum. The President was there representing the office and the country not his politics or his policies. We certainly have the right to boo him at a ball game but that doesn't make it any less disrespectful. The President has those same rights but if he had used his time in the booth on ESPN to make a pitch for his policies or the GOP agenda you would be leading the charge to bitch about it.

If Barry Bonds were making the first pitch and people booed him, would you have a problem with it? I think it's the same thing.

Forget "respect for the office." That's for old-timers and nincompoops. People don't like the man and they let him hear it. Just once in eight years is certainly acceptable. And I'm sure Mr. Bush can take it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Fantastic game. I was a bit emotionally deflated and worried after Lo Duca had that passed ball, but Zimmerman's walk-off was pure bliss. Absolutely fantastic.

Infrared, you're not the only one seeing the Green Monster in the promotional scoreboard. The fact that the first game is a Yankees home game (I think) made that much weirder.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

If Barry Bonds were making the first pitch and people booed him, would you have a problem with it? I think it's the same thing.

Forget "respect for the office." That's for old-timers and nincompoops. People don't like the man and they let him hear it. Just once in eight years is certainly acceptable. And I'm sure Mr. Bush can take it.

Barry Bonds and The President are the same thing? Now that's funny. And no, I wouldn't have a problem the crowd booing Bonds. As I said before, it's different and you know it. Old-timers and nincompoops eh? When did showing some respect for our President, no matter how unpopular he may be, go so horribly out of style? Does being so contrary ever get old for you? Better yet, do you ever end up contradicting yourself? I'd think it would have to happen eventually. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Barry Bonds and The President are the same thing? Now that's funny. And no, I wouldn't have a problem the crowd booing Bonds. As I said before, it's different and you know it. Old-timers and nincompoops eh? When did showing some respect for our President, no matter how unpopular he may be, go so horribly out of style? Does being so contrary ever get old for you? Better yet, do you ever end up contradicting yourself? I'd think it would have to happen eventually. :D

Well, I get my shot in and then it's back to baseball, deal?

My argument is that paying baseball fans can boo whoever is on the field. Your argument is that the president is not a normal citizen and should be above regular baseball decorum. Somehow, my opinion is unacceptable and that makes me contrarian and hypocritical. Oh well. Some people learn to attack the argument and not the person, while others, I guess, went to Ohio State.

Quandary tomorrow. I have class at 1:15, and if I go, I won't get home until after 3:00. The best rivalry in the National League goes down at 1:20, and it's on THREE STATIONS! I can have my pick. If I get tired of the Cubs-praising commentators on WGN, or moreso on ESPN2, I can switch over to FSN.

So I'm not sure, but biology is about as useful to me as a headcold, so I think I'll skip and watch the game. Has anyone done this?

I skipped a review session for a class to go to a football game (vs. Richmond). I would say go for it, especially since it's biology.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived