Detroit Tigers alternate jersey

Gothamite

Recently somebody posted a picture of the Detroit Tigers' short-lived alternate jersey. Anybody have any more information on that (when used/abandoned)?

Doing research on alts, and as far as I can figure there are only two teams who have never had 3rd jerseys (excluding throwback, TATC and other one-off events): the Cardinals and Yankees. I'm trying to conclusively eliminate the Tigers from that group....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this alternate on uni watch

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070823

1194875266_fe7c98c061_o.png

1995: The Tigers issue a navy alternate jersey, which is worn just once or twice. Reader Dave Murray explains the jersey's demise: "Before one game, I saw the team president, John McHale, near the dugout and asked him about the navy jerseys, and whether the team would wear them again. He said they wouldn't -- 'They just don't look like the Tigers,' he said. 'If that's the case,' I asked, 'will the team lower the prices of the ones sold in the gift shop?' He smiled and walked away.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Recently somebody posted a picture of the Detroit Tigers' short-lived alternate jersey. Anybody have any more information on that (when used/abandoned)?

Doing research on alts, and as far as I can figure there are only two teams who have never had 3rd jerseys (excluding throwback, TATC and other one-off events): the Cardinals and Yankees. I'm trying to conclusively eliminate the Tigers from that group....

The Expos never wore an alternate jersey... do they count?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Brilliant. Thank you!

I've never understood why teams like the Dodgers and Tigers, who have nearly-perfect uniforms, feel the need to adopt alternates. Glad that the Tigers came to their senses.

Amen, brother.

That jersey was softball-league quality and the logo was representative of 90s' garishness. Thankfully, it seems that the interlocking D-tiger has been de-emphasized (at least on their website) by the standard old-english "D" (a far superior representation of the franchise anyway).

In the hearts and minds of true baseball connoisseurs, of course. Forever and always.

RIP, les expos. we miss you.

that's a nice jersey if I do say so myself. I think I feel one of my patented DIY projects coming on...

and techincally, the Expos never had an alt. They did wear their BPs for a game in Philly once though (and said BPs were the sharp looking, non-templated threads from before 04...or was it 03?)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That's a nice jersey. I swear to GOD the Cardinals wore red in the late 90s.

The only red jersey I ever remember them having was from the "Chicks Dig The Longball" commercial:

CardsRed.jpg

But I have no idea if they were ever worn in a game...

...and as an aside, I love how Maddux and Glavine were filmed at the Vet, and we weren't supposed to realize McGwire was taking BP @ Busch...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That's a nice jersey. I swear to GOD the Cardinals wore red in the late 90s.

The only red jersey I ever remember them having was from the "Chicks Dig The Longball" commercial:

CardsRed.jpg

But I have no idea if they were ever worn in a game...

...and as an aside, I love how Maddux and Glavine were filmed at the Vet, and we weren't supposed to realize McGwire was taking BP @ Busch...

aug2107ballshirtscompicod9.jpg

I swear they wore this in a game, because it was one of my very first jersey obsessions next to the Dallas Cowboys double-stars. I kept wondering why they seldom wore red.

bSLCtu2.png

They did wear the BP jerseys in one game, and then auctioned them off for charity. Not sure I'd count that as a true third jersey, though. It's more a one-off, like the TBTC (or TATC) uniforms.

I'm also not inclined to count defunct teams, because there are a lot of those in MLB's history who never wore an alternate.

Didn't they have a blue alternate top they wore in the latter years?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That logo has always been fantastic. Personally I don't like the business of using the letter from the hat as a primary logo. The Yankees NY and the Detroit D are great secondary marks, but the D with the tiger or even the baseball/top hat/cane thing are better as primary logos.

Archived