Detroit Tigers alternate jersey

Gothamite

Recently somebody posted a picture of the Detroit Tigers' short-lived alternate jersey. Anybody have any more information on that (when used/abandoned)?

Doing research on alts, and as far as I can figure there are only two teams who have never had 3rd jerseys (excluding throwback, TATC and other one-off events): the Cardinals and Yankees. I'm trying to conclusively eliminate the Tigers from that group....

The Expos never wore an alternate jersey... do they count?

Didn't they have a blue alternate top they wore in the latter years?

Only the B.P. jersey, which they did wear at least once in a game but was never designated as an alternate jersey.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Bill Henderson's Style Guide (which may or may not be the final word on such things, depending on how you feel about it, but it's exhaustive):

1.) TIGERS - the blue alt with the Tiger crawling through the D was worn in 1995 and was "available" (but not worn) in 1996. No record of any white verson of a jersey with the Tiger crawling through the D.

2.) CARDINALS - no alternate. Never had one. The red mesh jersey in the McGwire commercial was the 1998-2002 BP jersey. Whether or not it was ever worn for a game is immaterial. A BP jersey is by definition a BP jersey, not an alternate.

3.) EXPOS - no alternate. Never had one. The blue jersey was one of several BP jerseys worn through their history (they always had a blue BP jersey - in addition to a red one - but they were always designated BP jerseys).

Again, according to Henderson, the only alt-less teams are the Cardinals and the Yankees (and the Expos, if you believe the Nationals are not an extension of that franchise).

Aside from the Tigers' short-lived alternates, the only other teams with that kind of limited alt usage are Philadelphia, who only had those red/burgundy nightmares in 1979 prior to this season's adoption of the throwback alternates, and the Dodgers, who wore those blue alts in 1999 only, even though they had them available for use in 2000.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Found this alternate on uni watch

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070823

1194875266_fe7c98c061_o.png

1995: The Tigers issue a navy alternate jersey, which is worn just once or twice. Reader Dave Murray explains the jersey's demise: "Before one game, I saw the team president, John McHale, near the dugout and asked him about the navy jerseys, and whether the team would wear them again. He said they wouldn't -- 'They just don't look like the Tigers,' he said. 'If that's the case,' I asked, 'will the team lower the prices of the ones sold in the gift shop?' He smiled and walked away.

A fun surprise to see myself quoted here in the forum!

The Tigers did wear that jersey once -- and I believe just once.

They never wore the blue in a game, not once. They were going to use those with pin-striped pants on Sundays, but somebody, maybe McHale, stepped in and put a stop to it.

Exactly right. It was a Tuesday (could have been a Thursday upon further thought) afternoon game, and as soon as the first players walked out of the dugout, McHale called to the clubhouse and had everyone change, pronto. From the story I heard from one of the reps (Russell or New Era, I can't remember which one told the story) McHale said they looked like "clown suits"

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I find nothing wrong with those jerseys as alternates. Now if they went Padres and wore them too often, then yeah.

Still, the home uniform could stand to have some orange trim on the numbers and the D. I dont care how perfect the lot of you say the Tigers home uniforms are, there needs to be some orange on them. You got two team colors, use them.

I also forgot, but they used to have a different road hat/helmet with the tiger crawling logo and an orange bill:

hat

helmet

Still lookin for the jersey...

I own the two road caps they used back then. The first half of the year it was a blue cap with orange bill and orange "D". The second half of the season, the road cap was the blue cap with the orange bill and tiger crawling through the "D".

And no, the Tigers never wore that alternate.

Still, the home uniform could stand to have some orange trim on the numbers and the D. I dont care how perfect the lot of you say the Tigers home uniforms are, there needs to be some orange on them. You got two team colors, use them.

Agreed. Even if it's only used as trim or something really minor, some orange is better than no orange.

I've gotta say, I think it's a shame this alternate never got a chance to take root. I think it's a simple and unique beauty. I think trying to wear them at home was a mistake - history has shown anything but the standard Old English "D" at home will not be well-received. But as a road alternate, this could have had real staying power.

For me, Detroit's best non-home uni was in 1994 - the first year of the modern "Detroit" script on the roads. Sure, the hats could have been dialed down a bit - the standard orange "D" on a solid navy hat would have been fine - but the rest is fantastic.

al_1994_detroit.gif

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Agreed. Even if it's only used as trim or something really minor, some orange is better than no orange.

Sock stripes. Problem solved. :D

Can anybody provide reliable documentation that they didn't wear it in a game?

And no, I'm afraid Henderson's doesn't count.

Will the anti-Henderson jihad ever abate?! :D

I thought it was agreed upon they did wear them once or twice, but that is following the circle back to Lukas and Murray. You know, more anecdotal than anything.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived