Detroit Tigers alternate jersey

Gothamite

DSC02348.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

My Cardinals MDA Day alternate jersey from 1999. It is KNIT. Sorry about the first photo, it's much too bright. Color is more accurate in second shot. I don't know if they're still doing it, but the Cards used to auction off the Labor Day jerseys for the MDA. This one I would call issued, not worn, as it's pretty crisp. All those jerseys needed was a front number and they would have been PERFECT.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, you were right. Well done.
Do you at least consider (the Henderson guide) a starting point and send in corrections when you find them in order to improve it, or do you just slam it when you can? I smell an agenda here...

No agenda other than accuracy.

And FWIW, I've started working with him to at least improve the Brewers section. I really want it to be a credible guide, it just isn't there yet.

As for the Cards, I would love any actual evidence that the red they wore was not BP but an actual honest-to-goodness alt, making the Yankees the only team in the modern era to have but one home and one road jersey. Maybe if Chris has the style guide - what year would that have been?

I talked to Bill about helping him with the Orioles section way back when he did the first version of the CD, but never got around to it. I'm lazy that way...

I love how the Tigers look on the road, but at home they're just way too boring. I wish the organization had the guts to add orange trim to the home uniforms and maybe bring the Tiger-D logo in as the full-time logo.

You're the same guy who likes the Lions black alts best. You comment on a lot of Detroit topics, you seem to be a Detroit fan across the board. I know your profile says you're in Portland, but you can't possibly be from Michigan with those opinions...right?

I believe the Orioles' 1969 vest and 1971 all-orange ensemble (see below) were one time deals. However, they wore the vest again during a Turn Back the Clock Day at some point.

al_1969_baltimore_01.gifal_1971_baltimore_01.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

DSC02348.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

My Cardinals MDA Day alternate jersey from 1999. It is KNIT. Sorry about the first photo, it's much too bright. Color is more accurate in second shot. I don't know if they're still doing it, but the Cards used to auction off the Labor Day jerseys for the MDA. This one I would call issued, not worn, as it's pretty crisp. All those jerseys needed was a front number and they would have been PERFECT.

Wow, before seeing this I would have sworn it was a BP jersey they wore. That is the exact styling of the BP jerseys from that era, but they were mesh. I have one at home, but it may be a replica. I bought it in '98 and it was about 50-60 bucks. Not sure how much "authentic" BP jerseys were at that time.

Do you own the jersey? If so, are the Birds chainstitched? I'm not sure if they chainstitch BP jerseys or not.

I believe the Orioles' 1969 vest and 1971 all-orange ensemble (see below) were one time deals. However, they wore the vest again during a Turn Back the Clock Day at some point.

al_1969_baltimore_01.gifal_1971_baltimore_01.gif

The all-orange has been the subject of much conversation on Uniwatch in recent weeks - they were worn in a couple games, 1971 and 1972.

Here's the New York Times on the first time, September 16th, 1971.

And coverage of a second wearing - April 17 1972.

As for the Cards, I would love any actual evidence that the red they wore was not BP but an actual honest-to-goodness alt, making the Yankees the only team in the modern era to have but one home and one road jersey.
My Cardinals MDA Day alternate jersey from 1999. It is KNIT.

Do the Yankees now stand alone?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Sure looks that way.

I don't know, can you really consider a jersey done only as a one-off a true "alternate"? Because if you do, the Cards would have already broken into that realm by participating in the TATC promotion, rendering any discussion of this red jersey moot.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love how the Tigers look on the road, but at home they're just way too boring. I wish the organization had the guts to add orange trim to the home uniforms and maybe bring the Tiger-D logo in as the full-time logo.

You're the same guy who likes the Lions black alts best. You comment on a lot of Detroit topics, you seem to be a Detroit fan across the board. I know your profile says you're in Portland, but you can't possibly be from Michigan with those opinions...right?

I'm from Michigan, just several years removed. I tend to like modern designs over simplistic ones, that's all. Maybe it has to do with my close proximity to Nike headquarters and the University of Oregon?

Sure looks that way.

I don't know, can you really consider a jersey done only as a one-off a true "alternate"? Because if you do, the Cards would have already broken into that realm by participating in the TATC promotion, rendering any discussion of this red jersey moot.

I think a one-off can be a true alt. Not willing to say so conclusively yet, but leaning that way.

TATC is the same as a throwback - alternate uniform. I guess what I'm defining here is Third Jersey more than anything else.

Wow, before seeing this I would have sworn it was a BP jersey they wore. That is the exact styling of the BP jerseys from that era, but they were mesh. I have one at home, but it may be a replica. I bought it in '98 and it was about 50-60 bucks. Not sure how much "authentic" BP jerseys were at that time.

Do you own the jersey? If so, are the Birds chainstitched? I'm not sure if they chainstitch BP jerseys or not.

I do own the jersey. On both this jersey and the mesh BP of the period, the birds are chainstiched onto white (tackle twill?) fabric, which was then sewn onto the jersey. Oddly enough, my BPs have velcro closures between the 2nd and 3rd buttons, but this jersey does not.

Sure looks that way.

I think a one-off can be a true alt. Not willing to say so conclusively yet, but leaning that way.

TATC is the same as a throwback - alternate uniform. I guess what I'm defining here is Third Jersey more than anything else.

If you're suggesting a difference between the two, allow me to present the conundrum of the 2001 Chicago White Sox, who regularly wore their 1917 World Series throwbacks as a Sunday alternate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think any jersey that's meant to be worn ONLY as a one-time deal, like the Cardinals jersey, should NOT be considered a third jersey, but rather be catergorized with the throwbacks (not saying IT's a throwback). They said beforehand that it would only be worn that one game and then auctioned off, so I wouldn't say it counts as a third jersey. Now those that are meant to be worn more than once, but subsiquently are used the singular time (usually due to it's hideousness that the team itself is unaware of but everyone else notices right away), SHOULD be considered as thirds because their intention was to be worn more than once.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Maybe we need the following categorization: home, road, alternate, special.

The latter category would cover TATC, TBTC, and other one-offs like the Cardinals jersey. One season jerseys, like the White Sox have done recently, could fall either into the alternate or special category.

Sure looks that way.

If you're suggesting a difference between the two, allow me to present the conundrum of the 2001 Chicago White Sox, who regularly wore their 1917 World Series throwbacks as a Sunday alternate.

I would call those White Sox jerseys, along with the current Brewers and Blue Jays jerseys alternates. Yes, they are wearing a past jersey, but if you were it regularly (every Sunday, every Friday) then it should be considered an alternate as it is part of regular uniform set.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

al_1969_baltimore_01.gif

That 1969 Orioles vest is one of my all time favorite jerseys. Damn that's sharp. If they sold any of that style to the public after the turn back the clock day, I'd love to have one. Heck, I've been tempted to buy one with sleeves and see if I could possibly have it converted by a tailor I love it so much.

Heck, while I'm at it, I also love the "Baltimore" road jersey to death as well.

Where do you find some of these gems? Only place I know to find jerseys other than new ones is eBay, and anything I deem cool is out of my price range.

Ebay. No where else but ebay. According to the information I have from the seller and the oft-criticized Mr. Henderson's guide, the Expos road BP jersey was never made for retail, so if you have one it's some sort of team issue and this one was purchased at their spring training facility in 2000 as a game worn.

It wasn't cheap, but it was listed on ebay as "rare" but NOT as a game worn in any way, but I suspected it was based on the info I had going into it. With that in mind, plus the 30th Anniversary patch, it being a defunct team, how incredibly beautiful I thought it was and being my size, I bid according to what I felt it was worth to me. Maybe a lot for a BP jersey, but I've spent more on game worn jerseys, and with no retail version option, I didn't want it to get away.

Only after I had the auction did I inquire about it source where the seller confirmed where he bought it and how it was represented to him as having been worn by the team. That was a bit of strategy on my part to wait since I was very certain based on the information presented in Henderson's guide that it was a team used jersey, and I didn't want to ask him during the auction and have him then post that information on ebay while it was still open for bids in case the other bidders did not realize it's likely origins.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

That 1969 Orioles vest is one of my all time favorite jerseys. Damn that's sharp. If they sold any of that style to the public after the turn back the clock day, I'd love to have one. Heck, I've been tempted to buy one with sleeves and see if I could possibly have it converted by a tailor I love it so much.

Agreed. I have loved vests in general since I first saw them on old Reds and Indians baseball cards. I had no idea the Orioles had ever worn one until they had the turn back the clock day. For the record, I have no idea whether they were ever sold to the public.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I might as well throw in this:

orioles.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived