Calgary Eyeopeners

Asheville Moonshiners

Bloomington Suckers

Palmyra Mormons

Charlotte Presbyterians

Salem Friends

Pekin Celestials

Monterrey Gray Monks

Sounds like a bunch of people in early baseball didn't have good focus groups ...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know -- I really like all the names that are oddball and functional. Biolermakers and Packers and the like. It's distinctive and local. I'd rather root for a team named the Biscuits than something generic and common. The Cedar Rapids Kernels are a lot easier for me to care about than the Cedar Rapids Reds ever were.

I always kind of resented how my high school was the Eagles, along with half of all other high schools in Minnesota, while our annual town festival was Schooner Days. Named after the wagons -- or "prairie schooners" -- that brought the pioneers west. So why couldn't our school be the locally meaningful Schooners, instead of the Eagles? Sure, today, there actually are a lot of eagles in my hometown. But at the time, DDT had only recently been banned and there were no eagles within 50 miles.

20082614447.png

Christ School(NC) Greenies

Way back when the school was in it's early years. After the baseball teams first victory, a student was asked to pick out the new uniforms. he picked out ones with all green.

hence the name Greenies.

I don't exactly know what a greenie is, but I am proud to be one

nick Wall

"Find the flame, light the fire"

BEAT ASHEVILLE SCHOOL

Abstract concepts:

Toronto Rock (NLL); it's supposed to refer to rock music, but obviously it can also be interpreted as an inanimate object

And here i was all these years thinking the team was named after Toronto's booming crack cocaine industry..

sig.png

Sheffield Wednesday began its life as a cricket club that played its matches on Wednesdays. After the club had been established as Sheffield Wednesday for a while did they start a football club.

Yeah, plus it's not a nickname, but part of the club's name. Their nickname is the Owls.

The thread is called "The World's Most Ridiculous Sports Team Names". Not necessarily nicknames.

And just because there was a good reason for a team name when it started out, doesn't mean it won't start sounding silly as times change.

CCSLC signature.png

Two towns in my area are the Estherville Midgets and the Sheldon Orabs (colors are orange and black). I'm with BallWonk on this one. The school I graduated from was the Wildcats, and the town I live in now is the Tigers. Yawn.

Bakersfield Fog (minor-league hockey, since renamed)

The Fog name/logo was conceived by Mike Butters, who played "Paul" (the guy stuck in razor wire) in the original Saw movie. Butters also owns the Helena Bighorns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his name somehow associated with the Tampa Bay Lightning if/when Oren Koules can find the financing to buy it.

Sounds dirty:

Macon Whoopee (ECHL, defunct)

USC (and many other teams called the) Trojans; a condom brand

Saskatchewan Roughriders; another (defunct?) condom brand

There's also a Butte RoughRiders hockey team.

For another Texas high school reference, there's the (Euless) Trinity Trojans. Insert joke oxymoron joke about Catholicism and birth control. Trinity is better known for their Tongan football players who do the Haka.

Questionable role models:

Oklahoma Sooners (college); named for settlers who snuck into Oklahoma Territory illegally before the federal government officially opened it to settlement. Wouldn't this be like naming a team today in honor of illegal immigrants?

You sound like an orange-blooded teasipper... :blink:

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (college); since when do they have hurricanes in freaking Oklahoma?!?

Well, here's a radar loop from last summer of Tropical Depression Erin, over Oklahoma 60-70 hours AFTER landfall near Corpus Christi, reintensifying to a tropical storm (with some hurricane force gusts)...

Oklahoma_trop-dep_Erin_Loop.gif

Yes, that is an eye...

fxc_Unusual_Event.jpg

• 10 months later...
If this thread is still going, I'll through a name out there. Here in Omaha, we have a high scholl called Benson. The mascot: Bunnies! The Benson Bunnies. How intimidating!

Didn't y'all also have some minor-league Arena League football team or something like that called the Omaha Beef?

EDIT: upon further review, apparently y'all still do. THAT is one funny name!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Gallatin (HS) Green Wave....in Gallatin, TN. Why are there waves in a landlocked state? And why are they green?

I actually went to school with a guy who was a former Chattanooga Central Purple Pounder...or was supposed to be. (I don't remember if he went to CCHS for a year and transferred, or moved before HS.) The logo looks like the Arm & Hammer logo done in purple.

Knoxville Farragut HS is the Admirals; why an entire team shares a rank, I'm not entirely sure.

A school for the gifted in this area has a very amusing team name. The Webb School has the Feet (and Lady Feet). Webb Feet? Get it? Ha ha.

Murfreesboro Blackman Elementary is the Sparks; Blackman Middle the Flames; And BHS is the Blaze. Clever and logical...but why fire?

Another nearby school is the Cascade Champions...yet I've never heard of them winning a thing. (If anyone knows the history of this school/name, let me know.)

And the only other local oddity I can think of is Montgomery Bell Academy. The MBA "Big Red." Anyone intimidated? You probably should be, because their teams are notoriously solid...but it's hard to fear a team that shares its name with cinnamon gum.

Oh, I almost forgot an interesting one. The all-girls' school out of Chattanooga is simply called "Girls' Preparatory School." (I don't know the nickname.) If that blandness weren't bad enough, they also refer to the school by its initials...GPS. Yep.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Here in Nassau County there's some real gems with high schools

-Malverne-East Rockaway Rockin' Mules

-Carle Place Frogs

-Lawrence Golden Tornadoes (they should be the Hurricanes considering they're right on the water, or Jets considering they're across the street from JFK Airport, but...)

Now granted my school's not that great either with our nickname. We're the Division Blue Dragons. Though it's not too bad considering quite a few other schools use it, ie: Cortland Red Dragons.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

If this thread is still going, I'll through a name out there. Here in Omaha, we have a high scholl called Benson. The mascot: Bunnies! The Benson Bunnies. How intimidating!

Didn't y'all also have some minor-league Arena League football team or something like that called the Omaha Beef?

EDIT: upon further review, apparently y'all still do. THAT is one funny name!

Ya, unfortunatley they are still around. The team is almost as big of a joke as the name is. If you live in Nebraska and you like football, you like the Huskers. The Beef don't get any attention, besides 2nd and 3rd graders. The Beef!

I say 2nd and 3rd graders because when I was in those grades it seemed to be a big deal. They still are the only ones that love it. No offense was meant to 2nd and 3rd graders by the way.

Archived