The World's Most Ridiculous Sports Team Names

roxfan00

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (college); since when do they have hurricanes in freaking Oklahoma?!?

Upon further review of a sports almanac I have (circa 1991), the student body from Tulsa originally did want the Golden Tornado nickname. However, at the time, another local team had the Tornado name, so the students picked the "next best thing"--a hurricane.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well one of the names on the list of "Non-threatening animals" is the Columbia College Fighting Koalas. I agree that they don't really need the "fighting" in there, but koalas can be very dangerous animals. Like any other type of bear, they can be mean and do some damage. I'm sure whoever wrote this list is used to seeing the cutesy pics of them, and maybe a few of them in zoos where they're tamer and not really interacting with humans.

believew.jpg

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (college); since when do they have hurricanes in freaking Oklahoma?!?

Upon further review of a sports almanac I have (circa 1991), the student body from Tulsa originally did want the Golden Tornado nickname. However, at the time, another local team had the Tornado name, so the students picked the "next best thing"--a hurricane.

Wouldn't have storm been better? Or at least make more sense.

jNTsTyQ.png

Wouldn't have storm been better? Or at least make more sense.

If you wanna keep nicknames regional, then perhaps they would have been better off naming themselves the Tulsa Golden Mullet.

6uXNWAo.png

Well one of the names on the list of "Non-threatening animals" is the Columbia College Fighting Koalas. I agree that they don't really need the "fighting" in there, but koalas can be very dangerous animals. Like any other type of bear, they can be mean and do some damage. I'm sure whoever wrote this list is used to seeing the cutesy pics of them, and maybe a few of them in zoos where they're tamer and not really interacting with humans.

I actually thought the same thing when I read that, but I wasn't positive so I didn't say anything.

...And get punched in the face by people who hate their jobs.

but koalas can be very dangerous animals. Like any other type of bear,

They aren't bears, they're marsupials. Of course, marsupials are dangerous, too. Kangaroo will mess you up good. And anyone that's surprised a possum will back me up.

Here's a close up of a koala's hand (paw?):

IMG_2427.jpg

And the Pius girls' teams are... wait for it... the Lady Popes.

Try to get your head around that one.

There was a popular story about a Pope Joan and I recall someting about a chair the new pope had to sit in that had a hole one could stick a hand in to confirm the new pope is male.

So, Lady Popes is a name that could really grab you by the balls.

In the Non-Threatening Humans category, they definitely missed the high school from where I lived in Florida:

Tarpon273200.JPG

Something tells me the kid in the mascot suit has been skipping class...perhaps for many years. :P

TS_mascot.jpg

For those interested in background, Tarpon Springs has the largest percentage of Greek-Americans in the nation. From Greece they brought the business of sponge-diving (harvesting sponges). For quite a while it had devolved into just a tourist business because sponges were available more cheaply from the Mediterranean area but the industry has rebounded in Tarpon Springs and is once again thriving.

ahahaahahh! That's my schools rivals.

Where in this area are you from Blue Sky? Tarpon?

• 4 weeks later...
Hickman High School - Columbia Missouri.

Hickmaninfobox.png

You're :censored: in kidding me.

Not at all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Hickman_High_School

I know some guys that went there. They used to refer to themselves as Kewp-Dawgs - as if that made them sound tougher :rolleyes:

Spelling "dogs" with a "w" makes you douchier... not tougher.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived