South Carolina Changes Color Scheme

tron1013

Sorry if already posted, but South Carolina is changing its official garnet color to PMS 202:

The USC athletics department is trying to show its true colors.

By Seth Emerson

The State

Published: April 12, 2008

PMS 201

PMS 202

The Gamecocks will use a slightly darker shade of garnet in an effort to be more consistent in its color usage. On the Primary Matching System color chart, which has 814 colors, USC is going from color 201 to 202.

The move was initiated by the university?s licensing office after consulting with an outside licensing company. The move is an effort to get ?a truer garnet color,? said USC?s Chip Harvey, director of creative services for university publications.

?It?s one of those things where, if you look in the stands, you?d see shades from red to garnet. What we?re trying to do is get things a little more consistent,? Harvey said.

Mississippi State uses color 202, while Oklahoma, Alabama and Southern Cal use 201. USC?s change is effective immediately.

- Seth Emerson

http://www.peaceproducts.com/Pantone%20Color%20Chart.htm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if already posted, but South Carolina is changing its official garnet color to PMS 202:

By Seth Emerson

The State

PMS 201

PMS 202

The Gamecocks will use a slightly darker shade of garnet in an effort to be more consistent in its color usage. On the Primary Matching System color chart, which has 814 colors, USC is going from color 201 to 202.

The move was initiated by the university?s licensing office after consulting with an outside licensing company. The move is an effort to get ?a truer garnet color,? said USC?s Chip Harvey, director of creative services for university publications.

?It?s one of those things where, if you look in the stands, you?d see shades from red to garnet. What we?re trying to do is get things a little more consistent,? Harvey said.

Mississippi State uses color 202, while Oklahoma, Alabama and Southern Cal use 201. USC?s change is effective immediately.

- Seth Emerson

Man...I hope they didn't use that chart as the basis for their decision...that chart is almost 10 years old, is missing a large number of newer colors, it includes all of the double-impression (2X) colors that were dropped in 1999, and the RGB values are from about 2 or 3 measurements ago.

Really not a good source for Pantone colors.

By Seth Emerson

The State

PMS 201

PMS 202

- Seth Emerson

Man...I hope they didn't use that chart as the basis for their decision...that chart is almost 10 years old, is missing a large number of newer colors, it includes all of the double-impression (2X) colors that were dropped in 1999, and the RGB values are from about 2 or 3 measurements ago.

Really not a good source for Pantone colors.

Do you have a newer version of a chart? I just want to see it.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

...Mississippi State uses color 202, while Oklahoma, Alabama and Southern Cal use 201. USC?s change is effective immediately...

Mississippi State switched from 202 C to 505 C in 2006.

The change from 201 to 202 really isn't that big of a deal...it is hardly noticeable.

What is important, and what I think is the point of this announcement, is to try and get all of the retailers and manufacturers in line and this is a "heads up" on the color situation. All too often, you can walk into a Gamecock shop and see 4 to 5 shades of garnet...from cherry red to burgundy. My hope is that the ones involved take note.

I work with colors (pantone line as well) all day long so I know the importance and precise judgment that we use for our customers, so I hope they do the same.

The change from 201 to 202 really isn't that big of a deal...it is hardly noticeable.

What is important, and what I think is the point of this announcement, is to try and get all of the retailers and manufacturers in line and this is a "heads up" on the color situation. All too often, you can walk into a Gamecock shop and see 4 to 5 shades of garnet...from cherry red to burgundy. My hope is that the ones involved take note.

I work with colors (pantone line as well) all day long so I know the importance and precise judgment that we use for our customers, so I hope they do the same.

This happens with so many schools too. There are like 10 shades of Carolina blue. Georgia Tech can't decide if they are yellow and black, or vegas gold and navy. UGA has it pretty standard though. Not many ways to do red and black.

This happens with so many schools too. There are like 10 shades of Carolina blue. Georgia Tech can't decide if they are yellow and black, or vegas gold and navy. UGA has it pretty standard though. Not many ways to do red and black.

That's why there are color standards. And, every school has them. There are no real good excuses for getting the colors THAT far off - if the licensees do their homework, it shouldn't be TOO difficult.

NorthCarolinaUOf_ATH_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

GeorgiaInstituteOfTechnology_OFF_99.jpg

GeorgiaUOf_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

The U. of Georgia doesn't have it any easier or harder than anyone else...in fact, they recently changed to that horrible 485 C (in 2006).

Unfortunately, the licensees rarely actually do their homework. Even worse, the licensors don't enforce their standards very well, either. As a South Carolina student, I can tell you how mismatched a lot of our licensed merchandise is.

Interestingly enough, most of the Carolina gear that has a black base has our garnet shade correct in logos and text. It's the shirts that should have a garnet base that vary so much... though most are just red. I'm guessing that's because of the availability of blank red shirts as opposed to blank garnet shirts, but I wish that the University would enforce its color policies better.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The U. of Georgia doesn't have it any easier or harder than anyone else...in fact, they recently changed to that horrible 485 C (in 2006).

I think what he means is that, because Georgia uses standard colors, the merchandise tends to be consistent. Every company that makes t-shirts can make a red t-shirt.

But for a school like SC, which uses a less common color, some manufacturers will be able to match and some will just use whatever they stock that comes closest, be it burgandy or maroon or brick or some other "darker red".

I think what he means is that, because Georgia uses standard colors, the merchandise tends to be consistent. Every company that makes t-shirts can make a red t-shirt.

But for a school like SC, which uses a less common color, some manufacturers will be able to match and some will just use whatever they stock that comes closest, be it burgandy or maroon or brick or some other "darker red".

Thats what I mean. It's easier to replicate a solid red shirt than a shade of light blue.

...Mississippi State uses color 202, while Oklahoma, Alabama and Southern Cal use 201. USC?s change is effective immediately...

I have a little connection to Mississippi State. I lived in Starkville from '69-71, my mom worked there, AND my uncle went there on a college football scholarship (in fact he played for them in the last Liberty Bowl held in Philadelphia).

That being said, (and Pantone, correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like their "maroon" traditionally and currently has a much more 'purple' look to it than other schools' 'burgundy' or 'garnet', even more 'purple' (I guess, more to the blue side of the scale) than the only other school I can think of that is stated as wearing 'maroon'-- Texas A&M.

Am I on track here, or is my color recognition off?

It is what it is.

I have a little connection to Mississippi State. I lived in Starkville from '69-71, my mom worked there, AND my uncle went there on a college football scholarship (in fact he played for them in the last Liberty Bowl held in Philadelphia).

That being said, (and Pantone, correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like their "maroon" traditionally and currently has a much more 'purple' look to it than other schools' 'burgundy' or 'garnet', even more 'purple' (I guess, more to the blue side of the scale) than the only other school I can think of that is stated as wearing 'maroon'-- Texas A&M.

I think Mississippi State and Texas A&M are actually the same PANTONE shade now...believe it or not, I read that online somewhere recently.

I think Mississippi State and Texas A&M are actually the same PANTONE shade now...believe it or not, I read that online somewhere recently.

Yep - the same:

TexasAAMU_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

MississippiStateU_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

This color has also been called "Michigan Panthers Royal Plum"...

Thats what I mean. It's easier to replicate a solid red shirt than a shade of light blue.

Yes...I understand your point now. And, it's a valid one.

Archived