Arena Rafters & Banners

Are the seats really black? That's pretty cool.

It's nice that they have the rafter all to themselves for banners. Some of the Flyers / Sixers banners are hard to see, because they can't be hung in the middle like that. Also, the Flyers have gone to (at least for division, we'll see about conference this year) single banners with multiple years on them - think Celtics retired number banners. I guess they were running out of space cause of the Sixers.

I think the color is actually a charcoal gray, but it still looks good irregardless.

Whiteouts are going to look even more dramatic since black-dominated seating areas are now going to be the norm. (As opposed to the igloo's characteristic burned orange.)

By definition, a white out against black seats won't look any more dramatic than a white out against orange seats. Also, unless there are tons of empty seats (which I'm assuming that there hasn't been recently - a stark contrast to when I used to go to games there and just get a walk-up tic for $12) it won't be much of a big deal during the game. Still looks neat though when it's empty.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Are the seats really black? That's pretty cool.

It's nice that they have the rafter all to themselves for banners. Some of the Flyers / Sixers banners are hard to see, because they can't be hung in the middle like that. Also, the Flyers have gone to (at least for division, we'll see about conference this year) single banners with multiple years on them - think Celtics retired number banners. I guess they were running out of space cause of the Sixers.

I think the color is actually a charcoal gray, but it still looks good irregardless.

Whiteouts are going to look even more dramatic since black-dominated seating areas are now going to be the norm. (As opposed to the igloo's characteristic burned orange.)

By definition, a white out against black seats won't look any more dramatic than a white out against orange seats. Also, unless there are tons of empty seats (which I'm assuming that there hasn't been recently - a stark contrast to when I used to go to games there and just get a walk-up tic for $12) it won't be much of a big deal during the game. Still looks neat though when it's empty.

Pssh. Reality schmeality. :P

oBIgzrL.png

• 1 month later...

So as mentioned somewhere else in this thread, the Phillies fly a color-coded flag for every year in which they won some kind of championship (division, league, world.) Only one flag per year is flown, so obviously it's the highest level one. Here's an example pic, and my sig shows the different color combos. One kinda cool thing is that they give the players the flag as soon as the championship is won, and it is flown right away - so last year a white "division" flag was flown until they beat the Dodgers in the NLCS, then it was replaced by the blue NL flag (unfortunately that one wasn't replaced by a red world flag.)

So the question is - what do they do if they win the wild card but not the NL? It's not really a championship, but it does represent a playoff appearance. I hope that they don't honor it with a flag, since despite what the Rockies will tell you, it's NOT a championship. I have a feeling that they will though, which begs the question of what color it would be.

The only choice given the current pallet is to make it white but reverse the colors from the division flag - make the numbers red and the trim blue.

My idea is to make it gray. It would "devalue" it by not making it bright and bold, and it would separate it from the division colors. It's not really one of their colors, but it's the only other color that it would make any sense to add. I'd make it just like the division flag, but gray instead of white.

2993593798_11135a2d02.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Current San Jose Sharks Banners

4239602261_cbfa4b9409_b.jpg

God i wish they'd take taht western conf reg season banner down... if you won the Pres. Trophy.. of course you won your conf.

This perfectly exemplifies why the San Jose Chokes Sharks are the biggest joke of a franchise in the National Hockey League. The fact that Northern California has an unrequited hatred of Southern California, coupled with the fact that the Kings played the first SCF in CA hockey history, and the Ducks both appeared in the 2003 and 2007 SCF (winning the latter), gives San Jose Sharks fans the most massive inferiority complex in sports (this side of Boston's penis envy with New York, of course.)

Oh, San Jose, how very pathetic you are.

The city's official motto should be: "San Jose - The Minor League Sports Capital of California!"

And the Sharks should update their wikipedia entry to reflect their biggest rivals to be: The Ducks, Predators and, umm... the second round of the NHL playoffs.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

So the question is - what do they do if they win the wild card but not the NL? It's not really a championship, but it does represent a playoff appearance. I hope that they don't honor it with a flag, since despite what the Rockies will tell you, it's NOT a championship. I have a feeling that they will though, which begs the question of what color it would be.

Nothing can be as dumb as what the Mets do:

Pennants-1.jpg

Yes, that really does say "Wild Card & NLDS Winners".

What a joke. Then again, that's the Mets for ya. Yes, that picture is from Shea, but they were all moved to the LF Wall at Citi Field.

Of course they could add to this after another lovely season:

unknown.jpg

And for years they've also flown their 4 World Champs/NL Pennants on a flagpole in addition to having them on the wall.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

[img removed]

God i wish they'd take taht western conf reg season banner down... if you won the Pres. Trophy.. of course you won your conf.

This perfectly exemplifies why the San Jose Chokes Sharks are the biggest joke of a franchise in the National Hockey League. The fact that Northern California has an unrequited hatred of Southern California, coupled with the fact that the Kings played the first SCF in CA hockey history, and the Ducks both appeared in the 2003 and 2007 SCF (winning the latter), gives San Jose Sharks fans the most massive inferiority complex in sports (this side of Boston's penis envy with New York, of course.)

The city's official motto should be: "San Jose - The Minor League Sports Capital of California!"

And the Sharks should update their wikipedia entry to reflect their biggest rivals to be: The Ducks, Predators and, umm... the second round of the NHL playoffs.

If you can't put your immature team / city partisanship aside and make objective posts in the logos board, then you should join Panny in the kiddie board until you learn how to behave.

Yes, I know - backseat mod. It's just really annoying.

[img removed]

If you can't put your immature team / city partisanship aside and make objective posts in the logos board, then you should join Panny in the kiddie board until you learn how to behave.

Oh, pardon me. For a second there I forgot my sports fan manual... let me just turn to the page where it prohibits trash-talking...

Turning...

Turning...

Turning...

Hmmm..

I can't find it!

Perhaps you could direct me to which chapter it's filed under?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

[img removed]

Oh, pardon me. For a second there I forgot my sports fan manual... let me just turn to the page where it prohibits trash-talking...

Turning...

Turning...

Turning...

Hmmm..

I can't find it!

Perhaps you could direct me to which chapter it's filed under?

Too easy.

It's right in the forum description (or should I say, "trash talking" is not in the forum description):

Sports Logos

Discussing the history of sports logos, as well as any news and rumours

So I repeat - if you can't critique the art without starting trouble by starting a fight that's just going to derail a thread (yes, I see the irony here) then maybe you shouldn't be here. There's a Sports In General board for you to spout off about how much you hate a team.

/backseat moderating

Taking the high road from previous comments aimed at my team...

Western Conference Regular Season Banners are few and far between, I'm pretty sure Dallas and Detroit also have such banners.

Nice and classy banners in New Orleans. Did they update the ones they had before (2000? NFC West)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

So I guess that Saints "World" Champions banner will be the last of it's kind that features a unique SB logo and not the new standard one (not that there's too many football banners anyway.)

They could go with powder blue. Not a current team color, but was a part of their scheme in the maroon days. Plus, you can't really walk more than twenty feet in Citizens Bank Park without running into somebody wearing powder blue Phillies gear.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

They could go with powder blue. Not a current team color, but was a part of their scheme in the maroon days. Plus, you can't really walk more than twenty feet in Citizens Bank Park without running into somebody wearing powder blue Phillies gear.

Until I'm proven wrong (probably by ColorWerx) I'll argue that powder blue was never part of their color scheme, just like gray isn't now. It was simply the base color of their road uniform, and appeared nowhere else in any official marks. They were red, maroon, and white in the '70s / early '80s, and then simply maroon and white in the late '80s.

Why do they call themselves "World Champions"? I've never understood that when it comes to the NFL, NBA and MLB. For one, it's not an international championship. I know for the NBA, there are other countries in the world besides the US that have domestic leagues and I'm pretty sure they don't put "World Champions" when they win their respective domestic competitions. I might just be picky here but I think the title of "World Champions" should be reserved for international competitions such as the FIBA World Champs (currently going on in Turkey right now), FIFA World Cup and Club World Cup, IIHF World Champs, IRB Rugby World Cup, and World Baseball Classic. I know there are many others for various sports, just too many to list. My point is that the title "World Champions" should not be given to domestic competition winners. What's wrong with "Super Bowl Champions"?

Why do they call themselves "World Champions"? I've never understood that when it comes to the NFL, NBA and MLB. For one, it's not an international championship. I know for the NBA, there are other countries in the world besides the US that have domestic leagues and I'm pretty sure they don't put "World Champions" when they win their respective domestic competitions. I might just be picky here but I think the title of "World Champions" should be reserved for international competitions such as the FIBA World Champs (currently going on in Turkey right now), FIFA World Cup and Club World Cup, IIHF World Champs, IRB Rugby World Cup, and World Baseball Classic. I know there are many others for various sports, just too many to list. My point is that the title "World Champions" should not be given to domestic competition winners. What's wrong with "Super Bowl Champions"?

Please identify the club baseball and basketball teams that could take a 7 game series from the MLB and NBA champions, or the club American football team that could win a game against the Super Bowl champions.

You can't, can you?

/Just think of them as the World Club champions in their respective sports.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think there would be a fair amount of teams in Japan or Korea that could take on some of the MLB teams, same with some European clubs with basketball. I'm not sure who they would be because I don't really follow those sports. As for football, they have a name for the championship game, my argument is, why can't they call themselves "Super Bowl Champions" instead of "World Champions"?