Arena Rafters & Banners

Sadly, the Atlanta Braves are celebrating being the best 2nd-place team in the National League for the 2010 season. The pocket schedule mentions being the "2010 NL Wild Card Champions", and they've even hung a banner at Turner Field to commemorate the occasion:

banners-001.jpg

The Braves should really be above this.

Agreed, I was mildly disappointed when I heard that news. I mean, it's good that they're recognizing it, but it just should've been a section in the yearbooks, the Wild Card isn't banner-worthy.

In a sport that is, for now, the most difficult to make the playoffs, I am OK with such a banner. Maybe it would make more sense for, say, the Brewers, who have very few appearances compared to ATL. But in MLB, where getting in is the key, I am OK with this.

What I cannot stand, however, is the phrase "Wild Card Champions." That is not a championship any more than "NBA Western Conference 7th Place Playoff Birth" is a championship.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sadly, the Atlanta Braves are celebrating being the best 2nd-place team in the National League for the 2010 season. The pocket schedule mentions being the "2010 NL Wild Card Champions", and they've even hung a banner at Turner Field to commemorate the occasion:

banners-001.jpg

Agreed, I was mildly disappointed when I heard that news. I mean, it's good that they're recognizing it, but it just should've been a section in the yearbooks, the Wild Card isn't banner-worthy.

In a sport that is, for now, the most difficult to make the playoffs, I am OK with such a banner. Maybe it would make more sense for, say, the Brewers, who have very few appearances compared to ATL. But in MLB, where getting in is the key, I am OK with this.

What I cannot stand, however, is the phrase "Wild Card Champions." That is not a championship any more than "NBA Western Conference 7th Place Playoff Birth" is a championship.

Agreed, I would just say "Wild Card" or "Wild Card Winner"

90758391980.gif

banners-001.jpg

Agreed, I would just say "Wild Card" or "Wild Card Winner"

I agree about the toughest playoff berths being recognized and omitting championship from the wild card commemmorations.

It's an impressive display the Braves have there, but -- referencing the OP's point -- isn't every yellow flag celebrating a "second place finish" of one kind or another? If we're going to draw a line, might as well do it at the red flag, because some of those division titles were just token playoff appearances, too (says the Cubs fan whose home field has a very similar display of real flags on the roof, with only 2 that ultimately mean anything).

And why no red flag for Milwaukee? A bit of a pet peeve of mine when teams don't carry over their history.

Why do they call themselves "World Champions"? I've never understood that when it comes to the NFL, NBA and MLB. For one, it's not an international championship. I know for the NBA, there are other countries in the world besides the US that have domestic leagues and I'm pretty sure they don't put "World Champions" when they win their respective domestic competitions. I might just be picky here but I think the title of "World Champions" should be reserved for international competitions such as the FIBA World Champs (currently going on in Turkey right now), FIFA World Cup and Club World Cup, IIHF World Champs, IRB Rugby World Cup, and World Baseball Classic. I know there are many others for various sports, just too many to list. My point is that the title "World Champions" should not be given to domestic competition winners. What's wrong with "Super Bowl Champions"?

Please identify the club baseball and basketball teams that could take a 7 game series from the MLB and NBA champions, or the club American football team that could win a game against the Super Bowl champions.

You can't, can you?

/Just think of them as the World Club champions in their respective sports.

What a dumb reply. The point is they aren't "World Champions" at all, just of their respective league.

And their respective leagues are without question the highest level at their respective sports anywhere on Earth, making them the World Champion.

Current San Jose Sharks Banners

4239602261_cbfa4b9409_b.jpg

God i wish they'd take taht western conf reg season banner down... if you won the Pres. Trophy.. of course you won your conf.

This perfectly exemplifies why the San Jose Chokes Sharks are the biggest joke of a franchise in the National Hockey League. The fact that Northern California has an unrequited hatred of Southern California, coupled with the fact that the Kings played the first SCF in CA hockey history, and the Ducks both appeared in the 2003 and 2007 SCF (winning the latter), gives San Jose Sharks fans the most massive inferiority complex in sports (this side of Boston's penis envy with New York, of course.)

Oh, San Jose, how very pathetic you are.

The city's official motto should be: "San Jose - The Minor League Sports Capital of California!"

And the Sharks should update their wikipedia entry to reflect their biggest rivals to be: The Ducks, Predators and, umm... the second round of the NHL playoffs.

Wow, only one who seems to have an issue here is you my friend. Fixated on the Sharks much?

WolfPack_209.jpg

Inside the (Hartford) XL Center. If you look closer you can see that the banners for #5 Ulf Samuelsson, #10 Ron Francis, and #11 Kevin Dineen. I will see if I have a better picture.

There is a new banner for Gordie Howe.

198839_193300940707671_148845768486522_462616_2481022_n.jpg

Now there are six banners for one team, but three different fonts, logos, and lines.

Also, they added a banner to honor "Hockey's First Family".

197987_193301370707628_148845768486522_462639_3892321_n.jpg

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

View of the Colisée's Rafters

r8KMK.jpg

First Row:

Tournoi Pee-Wee International

Marius Fortier

retired numbers, and titles, Nordiques

2nd Row:

Retired Number, Jean Beliveau, Citadelles (AHL)

Retired Numbers and Titles, Aces (QPHL, AHL)

Retired Numbers and Titles, Bulldogs (NHL)

Last rows:

Titles and retires numbers, Remparts (QJMHL)

Love Kansas's banners. Simple and to the point. Think that's great.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 weeks later...

Just a random question, but does anyone know how many banners are in the rafters of the Bell Centre? 24 Cups, plus like 10 retired numbers, not to mention division championships, President's Trophies, etc.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Just a random question, but does anyone know how many banners are in the rafters of the Bell Centre? 24 Cups, plus like 10 retired numbers, not to mention division championships, President's Trophies, etc.

Well, I can tell you there are 0 President Trophy Banners.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I agree about the toughest playoff berths being recognized and omitting championship from the wild card commemmorations.

It's an impressive display the Braves have there, but -- referencing the OP's point -- isn't every yellow flag celebrating a "second place finish" of one kind or another? If we're going to draw a line, might as well do it at the red flag, because some of those division titles were just token playoff appearances, too (says the Cubs fan whose home field has a very similar display of real flags on the roof, with only 2 that ultimately mean anything).

And why no red flag for Milwaukee? A bit of a pet peeve of mine when teams don't carry over their history.

That's interesting about no flag for the championship in Milwaukee- or Boston, for that matter. When I visited Turner Field for a game a couple of years ago they had a very nice visual display on the outfield wall of the team's history from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta, so it's not like they aren't interested in playing up the franchise's full history.