Arena Rafters & Banners

I'm not a fan of the Canucks changing all their past banners to meet the current identity...

I totally agree here...was there a lot of outrage in vancouver over this?

This past season, the sabres actually replaced their 1997-98 northeast division champion banner and their 1998-99 eastern conference banner, but they redid them in the black and red colors from that era.

it really made a lot of sense to fix this - - the other 2 banners did not match the style of the old one, they were both white, and it looked flat out dumb.

I'll try to find some pics..

rigaspecadomECC.jpg

This is the banner that went up in 1999.

The one that went up the year before looked exactly the same - - white background, goathead, secondary logos in the corners, and it read "Northeast Division 1997-1998 Champions." Which is really awkward word order.

The Seattle and Vancouver photos reminded me I have theirs as well...

IMG_0150.jpg

The Vancouver one is from September 2007, I was at game 8 of the Super Series, so this is not how the banners look now, as they were updated to match the photo posted earlier.

IMG_1333.jpg

I kind of wish the Canucks would have stuck with the logo or style of the team at the time they achieved their banners, instead of updating them all to match the current look.

Just like I wish the Oilers 05-06 Western Conference Champion banner would have been copper instead of orange, or if they managed to win the Presidents trophy it would be midnight blue/navy instead of royal blue/blue.

Also, an unnecessary fact, but in 2005 the Oilers had all of their banners remade as exact duplicates of the originals, as many were faded (blue was becoming purple) and even a bit tattered. They used the originals in charity auctions - and got a pretty penny for them. The new ones are coated in special... whatever stuff that prevents any fade in color.

The Red Wings changed their banners too.

When they won the cup in 1997 they changed all their past banners to look like the new ones. Also, when they retired Yzerman's # they changed the old retired number banners to look like Yzerman's

- Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm not a fan of the Canucks changing all their past banners to meet the current identity...

This past season, the sabres actually replaced their 1997-98 northeast division champion banner and their 1998-99 eastern conference banner, but they redid them in the black and red colors from that era.

it really made a lot of sense to fix this - - the other 2 banners did not match the style of the old one, they were both white, and it looked flat out dumb.

I'll try to find some pics..

The one was worded awfully too. EDIT: I see you mentioned that in another post.

Now the need to take the time to fix the Bandits banners.

My problems with the current Bandits banners are as follows:

1) Their size. I have bed sheets that are bigger then those! They're are the most prestigious banners hanging there too, aside from retired Sabres.

2) The logos. The incorrect logo is on the first two.

3) The wording. Year + World Champions I don't like. Year + MILL Champions for the three that are up.

4) There are a couple missing... 1993 & 1994 National Division Champions, 2006 East Division Champions, and 43 Darris Kilgour 1992-1999 (I know, I know, it's on the turf... the number anyway).

They don't have to be in the same style as the Sabres, but upgrades, and the inclusion of all of them will be fine. Of course, winning the Championship in a couple of weeks would be a nice event to prompt my changes.

July232006071.jpg

The Indians have these hanging in the concourse for the WS winning teams. I'm not sure if they have anything else around the stadium.

July232006081.jpg

And these in the RF bleachers honoring their retired #'s.

fenway.jpg

Fenway has these banners for the AL East/AL/WS Champs.

saBS.png

Bisons062405051.jpg

The Bisons have the retired #'s on the wall, and the championships on the banner on the wall, both updated this year.

hockee039.jpg

Sabres Accomplishments, now updated with 07 accomplishments.

hockee009.jpg

Sabres retired #'s

ralphwilson009.jpg

The Bills honored (not retired, only #12 is retired) #'s are up on the wall like this example of the most notorious Bill of all time.

saBS.png

Sadly no. Sometimes, I honestly think that I was the only one who noticed as I was the one who pointed it out to people I was with when I went to the games this year.

I wouldn't have minded them redoing the banners to make them more consistent in regards to the fonts and wording, because as oakland ehs' pictures show, some of the banners said just the year, and others showed the season. Plus, keeping the correct logos from the time the team won them is a must as well.

Overall, the new Canucks banners get a thumbs down from me.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Plus, keeping the correct logos from the time the team won them is a must as well.

That's what I hate about the Brewers' retired numbers. Hank Aaron didn't wear that goofy font, why should his retired number be saddled with it?

I sometimes wonder about this myself - - It's pretty much a lock that one day, the Sabres will retire Hasek's 39.

But will the retired number be done up in blue and gold, or black and red?

The years he is most remembered as the amazing sabres goaltender would be during the black and red era of the late 90s...

And that might be the worst of all possible worlds.

They should use the number font the players wore. Bad enough to use the current number font, but one that is neither?

And while we're on the subject, some of those retired numbers are questionable - seems to be more about dying early than being an outstanding player. Is their stadium under a power line or something?

The Red Wings changed their banners too.

When they won the cup in 1997 they changed all their past banners to look like the new ones. Also, when they retired Yzerman's # they changed the old retired number banners to look like Yzerman's

- Dan

Not that the Cup banners were right to begin with. They all had the current version of the logo on them rather than the version used in that year. Small difference but still...

The retired number banners are always going to be wrong if you want to have a name on them but still have them look like the back of a sweater, since most of the players didn't have a name on their backs.

I'm not against redesigning banners to be consistant, as long as you don't try to rewrite history too. You can have the same design and use different logos.