Arena Rafters & Banners

On 12/14/2014 at 8:43 PM, 2001mark said:

It bothers me that the Blue Jays have retired 'Pat Gillick' & the '# 12'.

Future gens of fans won't all know right away that retired 12 is for Roberto Alomar. It's just a nameless number banner with the HOF logo.

I googled this to be sure you were saying what I think you were saying. That his number (and not name) was on his retired number banner...and it is. I actually like that. However, that banner is kinda ugly...fitting in the HOF and team logos makes it far too big to just have the number. It almost needs a "watermark" photo or something. I wish they'd just use the "12" from his ceremony.

I actually like just seeing the retired number and no name. For one, I just think the below looks really good...They have similar numbers at Fenway and I suspect some other places. Second, it's kinda a conversation starter. "Hey dad, what are those numbers for?" "Why does the 42 look different?" "Who wore number 29?" And in this day and age, it's pretty easy to look up.

I will say though that these circles work very well in a smaller ballpark. A huge retractable dome like the Rogers Centre probably requires banners a bit more.

Here is what the Metrodome did by the end (yuck).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Phillies numbers at Cbp look crummy, as they're just painted on to the brick. The old pinstripe-circles from the Vet (they should really bring that back) were much better.

14039569308_477d280851.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eagles added their numbers and some championships last season before the big renovation:

player-banner.jpg

champ-banners.jpg

Not sure if this counts since it's not a team-sanctioned banner, but thought I'd post it anyway. Fortunately that fat turd is long gone.

wip-10-reid.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Miami Heat continue their proud tradition of superfluous banners with the addition of a HOF notation on Zo's retired jersey.

B2SLhhzCEAA8UVF.jpg

Wow. Do they really put up banners for players on the team who won gold medals in the Olympics? That just seems really dumb. They didn't win them for the Heat... they won them for the pride of their nation. Jeez. I'd like to see an NHL team try and do that :rolleyes:

Here's a serious question though: who would get the raise Shaq's number up in their rafters? Or has that happened already? I really don't follow the NBA.

The Carolina Hurricanes have done this, but I assume just for Olympic years. When we went to a game there in 2010, they had each player that played in the Games a separate banner featuring their name and their country's flag.

Apparently they did this last season, too.

2014-02-08_461_lr-S.jpg

Not sure if this is an annual thing, or if this was a special occasion because he was the game's MVP, but Eric Staal got an All-Star banner:

pg2_g_canes-banner01_576.jpg

Sweet Georgia Brown, that font is awful. Steve Carlton never wore a "32" that looked like that.

Yeah I have no idea what they were going for there. At the Vet they used something similar to the 80s font (they also had a couple old-timey "P"s retired for players who played before numbers.

They have policy of retiring numbers for HOFers (only exception was Ashburn but he eventually got in to HOF). I really wonder if they'll do anything for Rollins since he was here so long and set the team hit record. I hope they don't, but something tells me that they will.

The Miami Heat continue their proud tradition of superfluous banners with the addition of a HOF notation on Zo's retired jersey.

B2SLhhzCEAA8UVF.jpg

Wow. Do they really put up banners for players on the team who won gold medals in the Olympics? That just seems really dumb. They didn't win them for the Heat... they won them for the pride of their nation. Jeez. I'd like to see an NHL team try and do that :rolleyes:

Here's a serious question though: who would get the raise Shaq's number up in their rafters? Or has that happened already? I really don't follow the NBA.

The Carolina Hurricanes have done this, but I assume just for Olympic years. When we went to a game there in 2010, they had each player that played in the Games a separate banner featuring their name and their country's flag.

Apparently they did this last season, too.

2014-02-08_461_lr-S.jpg

great their boring jersey stripes even replace the storm flags when it comes to banners as well. hope they bring back the storm flags before they win a division championship or something.

great their boring jersey stripes even replace the storm flags when it comes to banners as well. hope they bring back the storm flags before they win a division championship or something.

The storm flag pattern is at the bottom of the team banners and the top of the player banners.

Sweet Georgia Brown, that font is awful. Steve Carlton never wore a "32" that looked like that.

Yeah I have no idea what they were going for there. At the Vet they used something similar to the 80s font (they also had a couple old-timey "P"s retired for players who played before numbers.

They have policy of retiring numbers for HOFers (only exception was Ashburn but he eventually got in to HOF). I really wonder if they'll do anything for Rollins since he was here so long and set the team hit record. I hope they don't, but something tells me that they will.

Phillies have such a unique and signature number font - why wouldn't they use that?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The Phillies numbers at Cbp look crummy, as they're just painted on to the brick. The old pinstripe-circles from the Vet (they should really bring that back) were much better.

I've always wanted to know...do you really mean this? Do you prefer the Vet (I was never there) to CBP (Been there; it's pretty nice) and the Linc (Never been inside)?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I've always wanted to know...do you really mean this? Do you prefer the Vet (I was never there) to CBP (Been there; it's pretty nice) and the Linc (Never been inside)?

I made the user name in 2004, I think before CBP was even open. Of course the new facilities are a million times nicer an better places to watch a a game, but I went to dozens if not hundreds of games at the Vet an it certainly had a "personality" that can never be duplicated. The new places are relatively sterile in comparision (though CBP was absolutely an amazing place to be during that sell-out streak when every single game was like an NFL-style event.)

I'm glad things are the way they are now (even if I'm not thrilled about how they got that way), but I always get that nostalgic feeling when thinking about peeing in giant beer cups and placing them on the ground because the pipes froze and the mens rooms were unusable (except for the sinks of course... which of course had lines just like urinals did.

It bothers me that the Blue Jays have retired 'Pat Gillick' & the '# 12'.

Future gens of fans won't all know right away that retired 12 is for Roberto Alomar. It's just a nameless number banner with the HOF logo.

I googled this to be sure you were saying what I think you were saying. That his number (and not name) was on his retired number banner...and it is. I actually like that. However, that banner is kinda ugly...fitting in the HOF and team logos makes it far too big to just have the number. It almost needs a "watermark" photo or something. I wish they'd just use the "12" from his ceremony.

0.jpg

I actually like just seeing the retired number and no name. For one, I just think the below looks really good...They have similar numbers at Fenway and I suspect some other places. Second, it's kinda a conversation starter. "Hey dad, what are those numbers for?" "Why does the 42 look different?" "Who wore number 29?" And in this day and age, it's pretty easy to look up.

The team has a "Level of Ecxellence" for honoured players along the 500 Level ring. I couldn't fing a pic of Alomar's, but while the other players have just their names, he has both his name and number.

Blue-Jays-Level-Of-Excellence-Carlos-Del

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 4 weeks later...

So the Sabres retired Dominik Hasek's number last night. They pretty much matched the old ones, so I'm happy. It would have been neat to see a red and black one, but he did wear the blue and gold, so it's not a big deal either way. They won't be retiring anyone's number that only wore red and black, and they even kept the original logos around for the alumni association during the red and black era.

hockee009.jpg

20150113-Hasek-Banner-01.jpg

So the Sabres retired Dominik Hasek's number last night. They pretty much matched the old ones, so I'm happy. It would have been neat to see a red and black one, but he did wear the blue and gold, so it's not a big deal either way. They won't be retiring anyone's number that only wore red and black, and they even kept the original logos around for the alumni association during the red and black era.

hockee009.jpg

20150113-Hasek-Banner-01.jpg

Is there a reason for the font being different? Also, that gold outline is just brutal.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I have no idea what's up with that 3 on the new banner. This is what the actual font looked like:

002.jpg

Maybe the yellow outline is messing with my vision, but the 3 from the jersey seems to have a more consistent thickness in the blue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a beautiful jersey

Yes. That's as good as it gets for the Sabres.

POTD (Shared)