Arena Rafters & Banners

It bothers me that the Blue Jays have retired 'Pat Gillick' & the '# 12'.

Future gens of fans won't all know right away that retired 12 is for Roberto Alomar. It's just a nameless number banner with the HOF logo.

I googled this to be sure you were saying what I think you were saying. That his number (and not name) was on his retired number banner...and it is. I actually like that. However, that banner is kinda ugly...fitting in the HOF and team logos makes it far too big to just have the number. It almost needs a "watermark" photo or something. I wish they'd just use the "12" from his ceremony.

I actually like just seeing the retired number and no name. For one, I just think the below looks really good...They have similar numbers at Fenway and I suspect some other places. Second, it's kinda a conversation starter. "Hey dad, what are those numbers for?" "Why does the 42 look different?" "Who wore number 29?" And in this day and age, it's pretty easy to look up.

The team has a "Level of Ecxellence" for honoured players along the 500 Level ring. I couldn't fing a pic of Alomar's, but while the other players have just their names, he has both his name and number.

Here's the #12 hanging on a giant flag, with the HOF logo no less. Gillick's is adjacent (I couldn't find a full image), with his name on it, & he is also in the HOF, inducted the same year as Alomar. Guess if you're a GM without a number, your name gets to be on the banner.

Retired_number.jpg

As for the Level of Excellence, I love it. I like seeing the worthy & notable player names, guys who were core to their eras & successful. Not everyone will be a HOFer, yet dozens of guys are worthy of club honour in the home park.

Alas, I grew up with the 'honoured numbers' because of the Leafs... Toronto teams really made it feel secondary that numbers weren't being immortalized while pretty much every single other franchise was doing it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

@2001mark:

Here's the Gillick banner, complete with Alomar's original banner (they hung both on opening day, and then replaced Robbie's when they retired his number a few months later).

rogers-centre-toronto-blue-jays-banners.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No, because that's how all their retired numbers look now:

461696998_slide.jpg

Which is strange, because it's a number font that the Kings have never used. The NOB font is similar to their current NOB font (or it is that). If anything, it resembles the name/number font of these jerseys worn just down the road:

470.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

if the kings used a better font they would have some of the best banners. really like how its the same template just recolored. ruined it with a goofy font. (also quick question, how many years did blake wear black and silver versus black and purple? i remember him as black and purple but i am 18 so that might explain it)

No, because that's how all their retired numbers look now:

461696998_slide.jpg

Which is strange, because it's a number font that the Kings have never used. The NOB font is similar to their current NOB font (or it is that). If anything, it resembles the name/number font of these jerseys worn just down the road:

470.jpg

That was the point of my post, I was kidding :)

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Well that'll be pretty weird when the Ducks play in Calgary from now on.

To clarify I guess, the Flames let the Hitmen run themselves as a team for the most part, outside of some bureaucratic Flames Organization sponsored events. So the "retirement" and raising a banner was all on the Hitmen.

But it would be weird to see yourself in the rafters of another team's arena.

IbjBaeE.png

To clarify I guess, the Flames let the Hitmen run themselves as a team for the most part, outside of some bureaucratic Flames Organization sponsored events. So the "retirement" and raising a banner was all on the Hitmen.

Right, that's what I meant. You're not going to have that just about anywhere else.

And not just your name/number, but a picture of young you.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Right, that's what I meant. You're not going to have that just about anywhere else.

And not just your name/number, but a picture of young you.

A picture of you with hair.... and the occasional frosted tips.

122-2286_IMG.jpg

IbjBaeE.png