Arena Rafters & Banners

The Bucks retired Bob Dandridge's #10 the other night

B_ivxRmUcAAdnk8.jpg

I'm surprised they retired his number before Glenn Robinson's #13...I think the Big Dog did a LOT more for the franchise and its culture.

bYhYmxh.png

B_ivxRmUcAAdnk8.jpg

I'm surprised they retired his number before Glenn Robinson's #13...I think the Big Dog did a LOT more for the franchise and its culture.

More than playing in three All-Star Games (1973, 1975, 1976) and starting at forward for a championship team (1971) and for another team that went to the Finals (1974)?

Really?

• Like 1

This is just sad.

frozen_moment_030815_std.jpg

These are the kinds of banners you'd see for franchises who've won a championship, maybe two, tops. But hey; management has to find someway, anyway, to bring Devils fans to Newark this season.

It's the 20th anniversary of their first one. It's not like they said "there's no butts in the seats, Lou. We need Ken Daneyko on the ice stat."

They probably had this planned since before the season began.

PvO6ZWJ.png

B_ivxRmUcAAdnk8.jpg

More than playing in three All-Star Games (1973, 1975, 1976) and starting at forward for a championship team (1971) and for another team that went to the Finals (1974)?

Really?

I agree. The championships should matter the most for any franchise. However, as The Starters noticed someone should have checked baskteball reference before printing the banner because his second stint with Bucks was in 81-82.

BTW, anybody knows from which season is this uniform?

dandridge_bucksbest_300x300.jpg

The mothership doesn't have any uniforms with the green script.

B_ivxRmUcAAdnk8.jpg

Really?

I agree. The championships should matter the most for any franchise. However, as The Starters noticed someone should have checked baskteball reference before printing the banner because his second stint with Bucks was in 81-82.

BTW, anybody knows from which season is this uniform?

dandridge_bucksbest_300x300.jpg

The mothership doesn't have any uniforms with the green script.

technically it could just say 1981 because he didnt play in any games in 1982

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

That Bob Dandridge photo is from his first stint with Milwaukee because he's being guarded by John Havlicek, who retired in 1978. This is cropped from a larger picture which also shows the shotclock on the floor which was chanced in the mid-70's I believe.

The 1969-70 team picture here - http://www.nba.com/bucks/history/season-recaps - shows the Bucks wearing home uniforms with green numbers outlined with red, so it may be from Dandridge's rookie year.

The October 27, 1969 and March 9, 1970 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED covers also show Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in that style of uniform.

Minnesota and Columbus have banners for all the teams in the rafters. I think Winnipeg has them in the lobby. Who are the others?

Nashville and Tampa, and there might be one or two more.

Florida.

SD Chargers' Qualcomm Stadium does that for all NFL teams. Not sure if that's all the time or whatever.

I miss the days at Toronto's Exhibition Stadium when AL East & AL West team banners were hung on the LF & RF walls respectively... ordered to match the division standings.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• 2 months later...

9gSs4IC.jpg

FWIW, I think the Colts have been doing this for a while and my favorite NFL franchise has a "16-0" banner at Gillette Stadium, so I can't Nelson Muntz the Colts organization.

With that said, good job, good effort, Colts.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

9gSs4IC.jpg

FWIW, I think the Colts have been doing this for a while and my favorite NFL franchise has a "16-0" banner at Gillette Stadium, so I can't Nelson Muntz the Colts organization.

With that said, good job, good effort, Colts.

As a player, wouldn't you rather look up at a AFC South or Wild Card banner than this? I think a vague "Finalist" banner is more of a slap in the face than anything else. Plus, 35+ years down the road, not everyone will know how far they went or what exactly a finalist was, which is the biggest thing.

spacer.png

• 2 months later...