Arena Rafters & Banners

Acording to NBA.com, Wikipedia, and the Warriors own website The BAA was one of the two leagues that merged (the other being the NBL) to form the current NBA (not counting the ABA/NBA merger which is diffrent ball of wax altoghter). Current teams that where a part of the BAA/NBL merger that are currently operating in the NBA include the Boston Celtics, Phillidelphia (now Golden State) Warriors, the New York Knicks, Fort Wayne (now Detroit) Pistons, Rochester Royals (now Sacramento Kings), and the Minneapolis (now LA) Lakers. And since the BAA and NBL became the NBA. in 1949,the NBA counts those 3 years of the BAA as part of their history. I wonder if the banner change was for just to make it look more consistent, and though technicaly accurate. A bit odd.

Edited by SFCOM1
  • Like 1

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I do like the consistency, but regardless of lineage, it's inaccurate. IMO the banner should reflect the title that the team won. They weren't presented with an NBA trophy, they were (I assume, anyway) presented with a BAA trophy, and the newspapers at the time (probably) referred to them as the BAA champions, and the parade (which probably didn't exist) would have been to celebrate a BAA title.

I really like that script, though that's the only part of their old imagery that I cared for. Did the banners ever have any of the NA imagery on them?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I dont think the NBA even fully recognizes the BAA era. They do not recognize any of the player stats or records from that era, though the history of the league is counted. Very odd notation.

Edited by SFCOM1

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I do like the consistency, but regardless of lineage, it's inaccurate. IMO the banner should reflect the title that the team won. They weren't presented with an NBA trophy, they were (I assume, anyway) presented with a BAA trophy, and the newspapers at the time (probably) referred to them as the BAA champions, and the parade (which probably didn't exist) would have been to celebrate a BAA title.

I really like that script, though that's the only part of their old imagery that I cared for. Did the banners ever have any of the NA imagery on them?

They never had any banners for the first two championships until last year. They only had their 75 championship banner. But when NBA added 3x champions on their jerseys. To not make that confusing they added the first two banners absent of any NA imagery.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

They never had any banners for the first two championships until last year. They only had their 75 championship banner. But when NBA added 3x champions on their jerseys. To not make that confusing they added the first two banners absent of any NA imagery.

The few franchises that had won NBA titles in other cities are now starting to recognize those championships, especially with the recent addition of the gold tab on NBA jerseys with all of the franchise championships. In addition to the Warriors, the Kings had also put up a banner recognizing their only title in Rochester. The Atlanta Hawks just last week put up new banners, including a banner for their 1958 championship, and retired numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on a post from 5 pages ago, my employer recently retired #55 in honor of former player/current head coach Derek Landmesser. I think we hit a decent sweet spot between being simplistic and informative.

Banners_zpsrtdgzndm.jpg

Since Mess wore several iterations of the turtle, we went with the version he wore most recently and as captain. (We also gave out replica banners, which was a little weird considering our recent logo refresh.) The new banner is larger than the other two so it fits in better with the GIGANTIC championship banners on the other side of the rink. The plan is to update #31 and #13 before next season.

So, how did I do?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IIRC, Beeston said at the retirement ceremony that they left the name off so new Jays fans would inquire about the banner to learn more about him. And, in any event, his name on the Level of Excellence has the number 12 on it, so fans in the stands can make the link.

And as for the ASG banner, I'm cool with having something to commemorate the event, but yeah, a full-sized banner right beside all your real accomplishments is a bit cheesy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Purple People Eaters were...something.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't recall if I brought this up earlier in the thread (and it's such a huge thread now that I'm too lazy to look) but in 2010 the newly-relocated Washington (state) Stealth of the NLL raised a banner for having won the league's West Division the previous year. There was one small problem, though: That division title was won as the San Jose Stealth, but the banner had the Washington name and logo on it.

I bring this up again now because we may be about to see an even more absurd example of this in the same league with the Saskatchewan Rush. Last year the Edmonton Rush won their first - and as it turns out, their last - league championship. A few weeks later, they pulled up stakes and moved one province over, to Saskatoon. Their home opener is on the 15th, when they will raise their 2015 championship banner to the SaskTel Centre rafters. Though they have not said which market name and logo the banner will feature, in all likelihood they'll pull the same sort of revisionist championship history as the Stealth did in 2010, which would be a final slap in the face to Rush fans left behind in Edmonton. The game will be streamed online, so I will post a screen-grab of the banner if they show it.

Update: The design of the Rush championship rings (pictured below) suggests a possible solution to the banner conundrum: A "generic" version of the team wordmark that just says "Rush", with no reference to either Edmonton or Saskatchewan.

12509758_10153255227241606_1586012324367

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...