Arena Rafters & Banners

4 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

They're split by decade. 

70s(including 79-80), 80s, 90s, 2010s.

That may be true but can't tell for sure since they haven't won more than one ECC in any decade.  Regardless of if that's fact or not, it looks like they're downplaying the CCCs and WCCs, even though all four of those were way more significant to their history.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Blue Jays retired Roy Halladay's number yesterday and added a banner for him:

THU_HALLADAY_THUMB_290318.jpg

Nice, but not a fan of how it's in the team's current branding, especially since Alomar's (the one beside it) is era-specific. I get that they probably didn't want to bring the Black Jays look (which Halladay wore for the majority of his tenure with the team), but they could have at least gone with the late '90s/early 2000s style which he still wore for a few seasons and is pretty similar to the team's current look. I'd have even preferred if they used the '70s/'80s/'90s look (the one used for Almoar's banner) because at the very least he was drafted with that look and wore it for a preseason or two.

Also, the team added two new banners last year (which I just found out about while watching last night's game and researching this post because I didn't watch or attend a single game last year). On opening day 2016, they unveiled a "2015 AL East Champs" banner and re-arranged their pre-existing ones so that they were sorted by accomplishment, not year (which I thought was dumb). Then, last year, they swapped that for the one pictured above (AL East + ALDS Champs) and added a Wild Card/ALDS "Champs" banner -- two additional dumb moves. Thankfully, however, they removed the 1991 All-Star Game banner and put them all back in chronological order.

They also added Halladay's name to the team's "Level of Excellence" (they have two tiers for honouring players; retiring is the "upper" one and this is the "lower" one).

1704050871_5760626147001_5760624822001-v

I haven't cared about the team for a few years now, but it still irks me how an organization that was always so good about honouring its history properly has resorted to anachronistic designs and consolation prize banners.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

On 2018-02-25 at 8:24 AM, skip88 said:

Devils have fixed the errors on the Niedermayer banner!

Nice. I know they got the number font wrong initially, but was there anything else?

DVdbYCgXcAIdTq1.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

28 minutes ago, SLAM said:

DZqxBx_VQAAcd4b.jpg

I don't hate it, but it would be 500,000,000,000 times better without the Knights logo at the bottom. You don't need your logo absolutely everywhere.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I don't hate it, but it would be 500,000,000,000 times better without the Knights logo at the bottom. You don't need your logo absolutely everywhere.

But we have to be reminded that the Vegas Golden Knights are an actual NHL club.

2 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

But we have to be reminded that the Vegas Golden Knights are an actual NHL club.

NHL? I was wondering why West Point was doing Vegas Strong stuff.

• Like 2

The Astros have removed all of the division title/wild card pennants from the left field light posts and have 2 pennants to unveil tonight. One will be for the 2017 World Series title and I assume the 2nd is the 2005 National League title. I wish they would keep the division titles up somewhere as it is no small feat to win your division in baseball. The 80's and 90's Astros should still be honored somehow in my opinion. It was even harder prior to the 90's when each league only had 2 divisions.

DZxsuaaVoAEv-TD.jpg:large

• Like 2