Arena Rafters & Banners

On 10/8/2018 at 1:06 PM, San Diego said:

Divisional banners are so lame. Championship or nothing imo. 

Disagree. As much as I'm sworn to hate the Red Wings, the rafters of the Joe looked really special being filled with all those Red Wings banners.

bannersjpg-14b345ba11ede1e3.jpg

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:
DpHaQrcW0AENj4J?format=jpg&name=large

Regular Season Western Conference Champion Nashville Predators.

I'm a Preds fan, but this is ridiculous, borderline embarrassing.

IMO, the only acceptable banners are:

- Stanley Cup

- Conference (PLAYOFF) Champs

- Presidents' Trophy

- Retired #'s

Put all of the Division titles on one banner. Anything else is superfluous.

Other than the weird and unnecessary grey banner, these do look good.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bradbury said:

I disagree with this.  Division titles are banner worthy.  If you have a ton of them it's probably better to combine them, but if you only have a few go ahead and hang individual banners. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bradbury said:

I'm a Preds fan, but this is ridiculous, borderline embarrassing.

IMO, the only acceptable banners are:

- Stanley Cup

- Conference (PLAYOFF) Champs

- Presidents' Trophy

- Retired #'s

Other than the weird and unnecessary grey banner, these do look good.

Definitely dumb.  The Caps did this same thing for the 2009-10 season.  3 banners to commemorate a first round loss to the 8 seed Canadiens.  Thankfully, these are gone now.  And they've moved division titles to one banner and Presidents Trophies to one banner.

Regular season conf champs is really lame.

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, Bradbury said:

Which makes me wonder, what color would an eventual Stanley Cup banner be?

Wait... they're giving fans a replica Western Conference Regular Season Champion (it's different on the giveaway) banner???

Dear lord, Nashville... Come on...

And yeah, if they ever do it, it'd be gold.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why so specific to Western Conference when they had the most points in the entire league? Just say “PRESIDENTS’ TROPHY 2017-18” and call it a day. No need for a big event. 

I hate “REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS”. It’s pretty much saying “we, the best team that year, underachieved in the playoffs”. The Rangers also have those banners hanging and it’s the most irritating thing ever. 

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yellow probably

47 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And yeah, if they ever do it, it'd be gold.

The ACTUAL Conference Champs banner is already gold. If they're going to continue the different colors for different banners route, then they've run out of colors.

My solution w/o redoing every banner:

WHITE - Division

NAVY - Presidents' Trophy

GOLD - Western Conference

SILVER (shimmer fabric!) - Stanley Cup

21 minutes ago, insert name said:

Why so specific to Western Conference when they had the most points in the entire league? Just say “PRESIDENTS’ TROPHY 2017-18” and call it a day. No need for a big event. 

I hate “REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS”. It’s pretty much saying “we, the best team that year, underachieved in the playoffs”. The Rangers also have those banners hanging and it’s the most irritating thing ever. 

IIRC from When I was younger, the Division Playoff Championship was sorta treated as a separate thing from the regulr season divisional championship. If that is right, then I guess having banners for each is OK. I don’t recall there being any such distinction for conference championship - only the Campbell/Wales trophy winner. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think there are only four banners (five including retired numbers) that teams should hang.

Stanley Cup Champions - self explanatory 

Conference Champions - winning the Conference finals

Presidents Trophy - also self explanatory

Division Champions - most points in the division at the end of the regular season, so no hanging a division championship because you were the last division team standing in the playoffs

• Like 9

IbjBaeE.png

For some reason, the Magic don’t even hang their division champs banners at all - they’re in the practice facility. The only ones up are the two conference champions banners. (This seems like a theme - there’s only one Solar Bears banner, for the 2000 IHL championship, and the Predators banners are just “ARENA BOWL CHAMPIONS” with all of the years on them. However, they ran out of space, so they made a second one with only one year on it, and it looks super empty)

ExJworW.png

On 10/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

For some reason, the Magic don’t even hang their division champs banners at all - they’re in the practice facility. The only ones up are the two conference champions banners. (This seems like a theme - there’s only one Solar Bears banner, for the 2000 IHL championship, and the Predators banners are just “ARENA BOWL CHAMPIONS” with all of the years on them. However, they ran out of space, so they made a second one with only one year on it, and it looks super empty)

The banners in my sig are supposedly in a vault.

spacer.png

Get settled in here because I have many thoughts on this,

I think the Flames really screwed the pooch with their their jersey retirements Forever a Flame program. They retired Lanny McDonald's 9 in 1990 and Mike Vernon's 30 in 2007, though in good Flames fashion the Vernon banner was in the style of the then current uniforms, ones he never wore. That has since been fixed when they updated the McDonald one and matched the Vernon one, though both those banners don't have the correct number and NOB font.

Then in 2012, they introduced the Forever a Flame program because "The Flames have established a tradition that permits Flames of the future, with an opportunity to proudly wear the numbers of some of the Flames all-time greats." (direct quote from the article in 2012 including the [sic] comma) and "didn't retire" Al MacInnis' 2 that year and "didn't retire" Joe Nieuwendyk's 25 in 2014. No one has worn 2 since 2004 and 25 has been worn for a total of 109 games by Brandon Bollig, Freddie Hamilton and Nick Shore since the 2014-2015 season.

Calgary_Flames_Honoured_Numbers.jpg

So now are they going to Forever a Flame Iginla? Because either way, nobody's going to wear 12 ever again for the Flames and he should really be retired. But if you go and retire 12, why not 2 and 25? I also don't know if anybody's going to wear 34 again, though I also don't know if Forever a Flame will come soon for Kiprusoff. (Nobody has also worn 14 for the Flames since Fleury was traded, though I also don't know how soon his Forever a Flame will come either).

They also had the Hitmen and Roughnecks to start the "Forever a Hitmen" (which I just now realized is grammatically incorrect with the other two "Forever a ..." because it really should be Forever a Hitman) and "Forever a Roughneck" programs. I have less of a problem with those because the Roughnecks hadn't retired any numbers before the program started and the Hitmen had only retired one, but due to the nature of junior hockey, a lot of players aren't around for many years so numbers get recycled and you can take into account their NHL careers as well.

The Hitmen retired Brad Moran's 20 in 2005(?) and then Ryan Getzlaf and Andrew Ladd got Forever a Hitmen banners in 2015 and 2017 respectively while Kaleb Toth and Tracey Kelusky got Forever a Roughneck banners in 2013 and 2017 respectively.

IbjBaeE.png