Arena Rafters & Banners

On 10/17/2018 at 11:56 AM, insert name said:

So the Jets never had a Super Bowl III banner till now? That’s crazy.

z7L86Rw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Never anywhere on the outside of the stands that would be visible to the fans that's for sure. Trying to remember if they ever did at Shea but...don't think so either. At least it's the right color and correct vintage logo

• 2 months later...

The Phillies wouldn't give JT Realmuto his #11, fueling speculation that they'll retire it for Jimmy Rollins, despite the HOF requirement.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they sign Bryce Harper, since Roy Halladay just made the HOF, half as a Phillie, and was #34.  A few guys have worn it since, but stuff done changed since then.

I haven't personally seen this when I've been at the park, but apparently they've been putting "statues" of the retired numbers outside, while the 'official' ones are painted into the brick inside (in generic font for some reason.)

openingday-outfield-numbers.jpg?itok=zWP  3639964632_a97fce2054_b.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

A banner should stay up regardless of who is playing.  I was watching that game and thought it was an odd place to put the banner as there's obviously only enough room for one.  

Agreed on the first point. I don't know if any other venues that do this, even if it's shared between different teams. All I can think of is Clips/Lakers and maybe Jets/Giants, but they're in the same league.

Secondly, I don't know where would be a good spot for a banner in MBS. As beautiful as it is, that's a glaring weakness. There's one concrete wall in a corner that's bare but out of plain view. Aside from the beam they use now, there's not an ideal place. And like you said, that beam is fitting for exactly one banner. Although given Atlanta's histoy, that's probably enough space for the next 50 years.

• Like 1

PJU85JF.png

2 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

Agreed on the first point. I don't know if any other venues that do this, even if it's shared between different teams. All I can think of is Clips/Lakers and maybe Jets/Giants, but they're in the same league.

Secondly, I don't know where would be a good spot for a banner in MBS. As beautiful as it is, that's a glaring weakness. There's one concrete wall in a corner that's bare but out of plain view. Aside from the beam they use now, there's not an ideal place. And like you said, that beam is fitting for exactly one banner. Although given Atlanta's histoy, that's probably enough space for the next 50 years.

What about electronic banners around the oculus or what ever they are calling it

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

What about electronic banners around the oculus or what ever they are calling it

They use that throughout the match the same way any other team uses jumbotrons. It shows live action, replays, and stats. It would be sort of a waste to use real estate there to note a 2018 title at all times.

Looking at the picture again, I think they should keep the banner where it is while the team is still defending the title. Afterwards, a permanent one should hang on the same beam as the American flag or on the beam on the opposite side of the "windows."

• Like 1

PJU85JF.png

On 3/10/2019 at 11:21 PM, alxy8s said:

spacer.png

A

For some foolish reason, the banner will only hang during United home games. Otherwise, it will be taken down.

They should leave it up year-round since Mercedes-Benz Stadium’s other tenant doesn’t have a banner to display.