Arena Rafters & Banners

Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh:

Stanley Cups

437111746_2530198abf_o.jpg

I always liked the "triple-championship" banner idea, but what would they do if they won another cup in a year where they didn't win the division? It would look pretty weird to have a double-championship banner next to the triples.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those Pittsburgh pictures make me sad... not because of the team's performance, but apparently due to the fact that they've resorted to putting large amounts of advertising on the inside of the rooftop. Just sad.

Thank God we only have a few more years of looking at it

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Stanley Cups

I always liked the "triple-championship" banner idea, but what would they do if they won another cup in a year where they didn't win the division? It would look pretty weird to have a double-championship banner next to the triples.

Well, they actually didnt win the division both times. At least not in the regular season. The division part of the triple banner shows that they won it in the playoffs, same with the conference part of it. The regular season division championships are hung the seperate group at the other end.

oBIgzrL.png

Stanley Cups

Well, they actually didnt win the division both times. At least not in the regular season. The division part of the triple banner shows that they won it in the playoffs, same with the conference part of it. The regular season division championships are hung the seperate group at the other end.

Yeah, but there actually were divisional playoffs back then, so it is still an accurate banner. Now that the playoffs are just top 8 per conference, you could win the cup while only winning your conference and not your division.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Stanley Cups

Yeah, but there actually were divisional playoffs back then, so it is still an accurate banner. Now that the playoffs are just top 8 per conference, you could win the cup while only winning your conference and not your division.

Yeah. I hope they keep the old ones if we win it again rather than changing them to be consistent with a new one.

oBIgzrL.png

Stanley Cups

Yeah. I hope they keep the old ones if we win it again rather than changing them to be consistent with a new one.

Well at least it won't be an issue (win or lose) this season.

cup.jpg

This one makes my head hurt. There is only one Stanley Cup champion per year.

Yeah, but there are many players on the team. Isn't "Champions" standard usage? Does any team use the singular in its banners?

Or are you talking about "1996 Champions" v. "1995-96 Champions?"

cup.jpg

Yeah, but there are many players on the team. Isn't "Champions" standard usage? Does any team use the singular in its banners?

Not every player gets a Stanley Cup. There can only be one Stanley Cup champion. We (not you and I but in general) have had the discussion as to whether a team name represents a single entity or a collection of players. This one is more complicated by the Avalanche having a singular name.

"Your Stanley Cup champion Avalanche!" No?

Edit: To add to the confusion, the Stars have a banner that reads "Stanley Cup Champions" but also one that reads "Presidents Trophy Winner." So I guess it also matters whether you think the team is referring to the actual cup or the playoffs of the same name used to determine the winner of the cup.

cup.jpg

Not every player gets a Stanley Cup. There can only be one Stanley Cup champion. We (not you and I but in general) have had the discussion as to whether a team name represents a single entity or a collection of players. This one is more complicated by the Avalanche having a singular name.

"Your Stanley Cup champion Avalanche!" No?

Edit: To add to the confusion, the Stars have a banner that reads "Stanley Cup Champions" but also one that reads "Presidents Trophy Winner." So I guess it also matters whether you think the team is referring to the actual cup or the playoffs of the same name used to determine the winner of the cup.

:blink:

I posted these a LONG time ago (hello all, again, btw.) and made a few Wallpapers of certain NHL teams' banners that are hanging high in the rafters. I'll get around to making more one day, but until then, I'll send these out for consumption....:-) **P.S. The Tampa Bay Lightning banners were of MY own design....what I thought they should look like...

edmontonoilersdesktopin5.pngpittsburghpenguinsdesktbc3.png

tampabaylightningbannerad4.pngmontrealcanadiensdesktocu3.png

newyorkrangersdesktopcu4.png

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.