Arena Rafters & Banners

cup.jpg

This one makes my head hurt. There is only one Stanley Cup champion per year.

Yeah, but there are many players on the team. Isn't "Champions" standard usage? Does any team use the singular in its banners?

Or are you talking about "1996 Champions" v. "1995-96 Champions?"

Not every player gets a Stanley Cup. There can only be one Stanley Cup champion. We (not you and I but in general) have had the discussion as to whether a team name represents a single entity or a collection of players. This one is more complicated by the Avalanche having a singular name.

"Your Stanley Cup champion Avalanche!" No?

Edit: To add to the confusion, the Stars have a banner that reads "Stanley Cup Champions" but also one that reads "Presidents Trophy Winner." So I guess it also matters whether you think the team is referring to the actual cup or the playoffs of the same name used to determine the winner of the cup.

:blink:

I agree. I read it six times, and it still doesn't make sense. I think my frontal lobe went kablooey.

Also, every player DOES get a Stanley Cup, THE Stanley Cup, for a 24-hour period. So there. :P

Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh:

Stanley Cups

437111746_2530198abf_o.jpg

I always liked the "triple-championship" banner idea, but what would they do if they won another cup in a year where they didn't win the division? It would look pretty weird to have a double-championship banner next to the triples.

The Houston Aeros have a similar banner design from when they won the Turner Cup near the end of the IHL days. I have a pic of it but it is all blurry and low quality so I'll try to find a better one. The Toyota Center is a rather dark arena and the banners are pretty high up there so theres not much light to get a good pic.

Toronto Blue Jays Banners

20070930_30sept07_51.jpg

28may07_41.jpg

Why don't the Blue Jays have an AL East Champs and AL Champs Banners for the years they won the World Series? Don't most teams have the banners for their division championships and League/Conference championships even when they win the Big Title?

image_afl08_ari_chi14.jpg

A banner for the number of time in the playoffs?

Now I have heard of everything.

Yeah, I thought that too the first time I saw it. AllState Arena (where the Rush, AHL's Wolves, and DePaul basketball play) has a real smörgåsbord of banners. I'll try to take some pictures when I'm there tomorrow for a Wolves game.

20070930_30sept07_51.jpg

28may07_41.jpg

Why don't the Blue Jays have an AL East Champs and AL Champs Banners for the years they won the World Series? Don't most teams have the banners for their division championships and League/Conference championships even when they win the Big Title?

Good point...

I do know for a fact that the Bruins have a different set of banners for division titles, conference champions, etc. but it is all on own banner...if that makes any sense.....

I even think what I am referring to somewhere in this thread....

I can't find any pics, but I think they actually did have light-blue banners for the AL titles, but I guess they were only shown up there during the World Series. I suppose, before the Wild Card is that the World Series title infers that they also won the division and league. (if anyone has the 1992 or 1993 commemorative VHS tape, they could probably verify that"

I don't think you can tell much here, but you will see a glimpse of the banners, you can see a dark banner for the 1992 World Series title, but there are two banners to the right.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eL_R5wL0ADY

I saw, I came, I left.

20070930_30sept07_51.jpg

28may07_41.jpg

The Phillies also only celebrate their highest championship, so in 1993, they only had a NL Champions sign, not an NL East Champions sign, even though they won the division.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Mets also put up their highest level on the RF wall. So when they won the '86 World Series for example, that supercedes the Eastern Division and NL Crowns.

They also have 2 WS Pennants and 2 NL Pennants flying between the American Flag in CF...

A picture of the wall is on Page 2 of this thread. Here's what's in CF:

ChampionshipFlags.jpg

The '73 and '00 NL Pennants are to visible somewhat to the right of that for the record...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Thanks for the information on why some teams don't fly division/league titles. The Cubs fly flags on the roof of Wrigley with the years that have won titles.

I know that there aren't that many.

Thanks for the information on why some teams don't fly division/league titles. The Cubs fly flags on the roof of Wrigley with the years that have won titles.

Ha ha! Must not be very many flags on the ... oh, wait, you admitted that up front. Geez, way to take the fun out of teasing the Cubs.

Perhaps this would be the right time to bring up the Washington Nationals, who have a set of four smallish red pennants above their scoreboard. One of them has "1924" stitched in white on the pennant for the 1924 championship. The others are blank, signifying Washington's long record of near-Philly-esque futility. No banners, flags, or pennants inside the ballpark (yet) to signify the 1925 and 1933 AL championships. Of course, all three are titles won by previous Washington clubs, but then again the Twins don't claim credit for those titles in the Metrodome.

20082614447.png

The Pittsburgh Pirates have flags along the outfield concourse (atop the flood wall, behind the outfield seats). Theyre gold for each year they won the NL Championship but not the World Series (4) with the year in black writing, and black for the years they won that and the World Series (5) in gold writing (personally, I wouldve made the gold ones the years they won the World Series). You cant really see all of them unless you have seats somewhat high up in the right or left field upper decks or are on the concourse itself. I'll have to snap a pic of them when I go to the game on Tuesday.

oBIgzrL.png

Ha ha! Must not be very many flags on the ... oh, wait, you admitted that up front. Geez, way to take the fun out of teasing the Cubs.

Perhaps this would be the right time to bring up the Washington Nationals, who have a set of four smallish red pennants above their scoreboard. One of them has "1924" stitched in white on the pennant for the 1924 championship. The others are blank, signifying Washington's long record of near-Philly-esque futility. No banners, flags, or pennants inside the ballpark (yet) to signify the 1925 and 1933 AL championships. Of course, all three are titles won by previous Washington clubs, but then again the Twins don't claim credit for those titles in the Metrodome.

I took the fun out of it to protect the Cubs and my feelings that have been hurt many times by them.

Back on topic. I like when college teams use the logo of the Final Four in their championship banners.

I'm pretty sure they have flags for all of their playoff appearances. And, joking aside, there are a decent number of them (2 WS, 8 pennants where they didn't win the WS, 4 division, 1 wild card= 15 playoff appearances). Ok, a lot of them are old but my White Sox only have 9 playoff appearances in the same amount of time (3 WS, 3 other pennants, 3 other division titles). These numbers are all post-1901.

I like how the Cubs do their playoff appearances with the flags on the roof; it's a very traditional look. I think they are color coded as well for WS, league, division, WC. The White Sox use to have really nice looking flags above the scoreboard/outfield billboards listing the year and title. Since 2005 they've had banners on the outfield light poles, which actually turned out pretty well. I still think flags are more appropriate for baseball though.

WS1.jpg

WS2.jpg

The Pittsburgh Pirates have flags along the outfield concourse (atop the flood wall, behind the outfield seats). Theyre gold for each year they won the NL Championship but not the World Series (4) with the year in black writing, and black for the years they won that and the World Series (5) in gold writing (personally, I wouldve made the gold ones the years they won the World Series). You cant really see all of them unless you have seats somewhat high up in the right or left field upper decks or are on the concourse itself. I'll have to snap a pic of them when I go to the game on Tuesday.

Had I been thinking of this thread, I'd have taken a better shot of them, but I myself made my first trip there last Saturday, and present this:

P1010509.jpg

Again, not the best shots of them of course, but they're there...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Here are some more:

Blackhawks (I couldn't find a good picture of the Bulls' banners, but they have the same style as these):

BH1.jpg

Thanks for defending the Cubs.

They also have names of players who have won MVP, Rookie of the Year and other types of awards on the flags along the roof.

I really like the look of the Blackhawk banners.