Arena Rafters & Banners

I'd kind of like it if other players not on the Dodgers and Mets could wear #42 for Robinson, which they did for years and it seemed to be fine. Jackie Robinson Day was a nice idea at first before it cartwheeled into absurdity and turned into some weird unwitting H2G2 tribute.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know it's variable, but do any teams have actual guidelines for retiring numbers ["official" or not], and if so what are they?

The Red Sox criteria is Hall of Fame membership and at least 10 years with the team. You used to have to finish your career with them in addition to the 10 years but they eased up on that to retire Fisk's #27.

I know it's variable, but do any teams have actual guidelines for retiring numbers ["official" or not], and if so what are they?

It's all up to the teams. You'll find that a lot of newer teams will seemingly retire the first number of any halfway good player that played with them just so they can try to establish a history or have an event out of it.

I know for the Phillies the requirement is HOF, which is why Jim Bunning's #14 was retired decades after he last played (and after several other players, notably Pete Rose wore it) when he was elected by the Veterans' Committee.

I believe the Flyers have the same requirement, which is why Mark Howe's #2 was just retired. I think it's kind of dumb to retire a number after it's been worn by other players, but that's what they do.

Interesting. I imagine the older baseball teams would have criteria that stringent. Good to know.

The Red Sox criteria is Hall of Fame membership and at least 10 years with the team. You used to have to finish your career with them in addition to the 10 years but they eased up on that to retire Fisk's #27.

They also eased up on the Hall of Fame requirement when they retired Johnny Pesky's No. 6.

However, because it was retired so late (2008 or 2009, I believe), several other players wore it between Pesky's retirement in the 1950s and his return as a coach in the 2000s, most notably Bill Buckner. Gary Gaetti was the last player to wear it on the field, in 2000.

spacer.png

I'm pretty sure the Giants require the HOF too because I think there was some "drama" of what to do with Bonds 25, even thought it was technically already retired

I believe the Red Wings require Hall of Fame as well. That is why 6 is not retired but it has not been worn in ages. Yzerman had the HoF stip waived for him.

Maybe #6 is retired...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

When a significant player leaves, just hold his number out of circulation for a while until clear heads can decide if it should be retired or not. Just saying HOF is kind of dumb because there are players who play a significant role in their franchise's history for reasons other than HOF caliber play that should be considered, and there are guys who weren't considered worthy of retirement who happen to make their respective HOFs decades later, creating the mess of teams retiring the same number for multiple players, or retiring a number that had been worn by 12 other players since the one who "retired" it was done with it.

The Eagles have several numbers out of circulation - Randall Cunningham's 12 (some pre-season QB had it years ago and it was taken away after the first practice, and this year Steve Smith wanted it because it was his old Giants number but the team said it was off limits), Brian Dawkins 20 (the owner said that no player would ever wear it again because of what he meant to the team and the fans... but stopped short of saying it'd be actually "retired"), and Brian Westbrook's 36 (Ronnie Brown wore it in pre-season because not enough other numbers were available, but then was told to switch after the final cuts.) I doubt McNabb's 5 will be issued any time soon, despite the team's and fanbase's disdain for him. It's a crime that they would hold his number out but then give Ron Jawarski's 7 out to a kicker, punter, 3rd string QBs, and now Michael Vick. I don't think either should be retired, but if 5 is than 7 should be too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Leafs do it best.

Their criteria is that a player had to have died or suffered a career ending injury while with the team to get his number retired.

The only numbers they have retired are #5 (Bill Barilko) and #6 (Ace Bailey).

All the rest of the numbers in the rafters are "honoured", meaning players can still wear them.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Why does dying or injury supercede actually being good? I say treat them all the same. If they "honor" the great players, then "honor" the dead ones too.

The Flyers are the opposite (sort of.) When Pelle Lindberg died, they immediately pulled his number from circulation, and it has remained that way for 27ish years now. They will not retire it though (probably because he was DUI when his car crashed, but still.)

The Eagles retired Jerome Brown's 99 when he too was killed in a car crash while driving recklessly on a wet road. He was an all-pro player and arguably the best DT in the game, but had he simply retired at that moment I don't think he'd have qualified for such an honor.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wonder why it took 19 years for the North Stars to retire #19 for Bill Masterton. For all intents and purposes, he died "in uniform." That should've been immediate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I believe the Red Wings require Hall of Fame as well. That is why 6 is not retired but it has not been worn in ages. Yzerman had the HoF stip waived for him.

Maybe #6 is retired...

Its not "officially" retired as he does not have a banner at JLA.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The Blue Jays' criteria is going into the HoF as a member of the team. They do, however, have a Level of Excellence to honour players who played a big part in helping them, such as Joe carter, Dave Stieb, and very soon, Tom Henke. They also separate Robinson's number by putting it on the other side of the stadium.

Left Field Right Field Behind Home Plate (I couldn't find a pic, but that's where it is)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Retiring #99 league-wide was pointless. No one will ever be stupid enough to try and wear it, so why bother with the formalities?

Some players (i.e. Crosby, RNH) wear numbers for their birth year. So in about 6-7 years, you may see a player that would've wanted to wear 99.

Retiring #99 league-wide was pointless. No one will ever be stupid enough to try and wear it, so why bother with the formalities?

Some players (i.e. Crosby, RNH) wear numbers for their birth year. So in about 6-7 years, you may see a player that would've wanted to wear 99.

I think Crosby also wears 87 because his birthday is August 7, 1987 (8/7/87)

Why does dying or injury supercede actually being good? I say treat them all the same. If they "honor" the great players, then "honor" the dead ones too.

The Flyers are the opposite (sort of.) When Pelle Lindberg died, they immediately pulled his number from circulation, and it has remained that way for 27ish years now. They will not retire it though (probably because he was DUI when his car crashed, but still.)

The Eagles retired Jerome Brown's 99 when he too was killed in a car crash while driving recklessly on a wet road. He was an all-pro player and arguably the best DT in the game, but had he simply retired at that moment I don't think he'd have qualified for such an honor.

I believe Atlanta/Winnipeg has officially retired 37 for Dan Snyder

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Same thing with the Mets. It's not just one team that does it.

My-Take-On-31.jpg

With their newest uniform update, did the Mets remove the drop shawdow from the retired numbers on the wall?

Couldn't find a clear picture, but this photo suggests no. I haven't really noticed while watching the games. Maybe someone else can confirm.

ny_e_citifieldseats_576.jpg

Tf9TG.jpg

Same thing with the Mets. It's not just one team that does it.

My-Take-On-31.jpg

With their newest uniform update, did the Mets remove the drop shawdow from the retired numbers on the wall?

Couldn't find a clear picture, but this photo suggests no. I haven't really noticed while watching the games. Maybe someone else can confirm.

ny_e_citifieldseats_576.jpg

While on the topic of Citi, I've been looking for the championship banners all weekend. Where did they move them to?

EDIT: Never mind, saw they have them up on the 3rd base line between levels now

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29