Arena Rafters & Banners

The Lions today put up banners for their NFL championships and divisional championships. Each banner has the logo of the team and of the NFC that was used at the time.

temp090912-lions-vs-rams-gallery-2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.5.jpg?width=960&height=720

They look good and I like that they used the old logos, but then you get this:

temp090912-lions-vs-rams-gallery-1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

temp090912-lions-vs-rams-gallery-3--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

<_< Hanging a banner for just making the playoffs is lame to me. I mean they lost in the first round last year. Last year was great, but it is not really worth a banner. I do think grouped by logo was a cool way to do it though.

Interesting how those banners avoid the issue of putting the old logo on them or the new one. I guess I'd rather see something like that than banners with the new logo recognizing achievements won with the old logo.

That is essentially the only teal youll see at the stadium, any reference of history is tucked away

True2OB.png

I assume if they make the playoffs again in the future the Lions will just add the year to that one banner. If so, it's not the coolest thing but not terrible.

The Rams have all their playoff appearances listed below the press box, but it's not as prominent as the NFC and Super Bowl banners.

I don't like it when teams note what round they get to. Memphis Tigers do this for NCAA appearances and it's lame (NCAA 2nd round). The Mets have a banner that says LDS winners (at least they used to at Shea).

It is weird, though, that for teams like the Blues, their best season since I began following them in 1996 (3rd round in 2001) isn't recognized because they didn't win the division or conference while they will raise a banner for last season for winning the Central Division. They also have a President's Trophy Banner for the year they were promptly knocked out by the Sharks in the first round. I think the 2001 season was a greater accomplishment.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Rumors have it that when the Kings get around to raising their Stanley Cup Banner, that it will along with all the other Kings' banners, will be hung from the rafters as opposed to be displayed on a wall. The wall display was something that the Kings and Lakers did at the Forum and carried over to Staples Center.

I assume if they make the playoffs again in the future the Lions will just add the year to that one banner. If so, it's not the coolest thing but not terrible.

Yes, this is what they are doing. To be fair, the banners are on the other side of the stadium from the NFL championship ones. I don't know, I just don't think the playoff years are needed. It feels like they just wanted something recent and that's all they could get. Had the banners been up for years and they added 2011, I guess it would be fine. It just feels pointless.

As Jim Schwartz said last year, "There will come a time when we don't celebrate making the playoffs".

Yes, this is what they are doing. To be fair, the banners are on the other side of the stadium from the NFL championship ones. I don't know, I just don't think the playoff years are needed. It feels like they just wanted something recent and that's all they could get. Had the banners been up for years and they added 2011, I guess it would be fine. It just feels pointless.

As Jim Schwartz said last year, "There will come a time when we don't celebrate making the playoffs".

That time was the first decade of the 2000s.

• 3 months later...

Talk about a lame one. Found this ages ago and have been meaning to post it.

CharlotteHornets1988-89attendancechampionsbanner.jpg

I consider a brand new franchise, in it's second year, leading the league in attendance, a much higher honor than simply making the playoffs. The Hornets lead the league in attendance from 1990-1997, I believe.

On 1/9/2013 at 10:43 AM, tohasbo said:

I think the Timberwovles broke that record the next year (playing in the Metrodome) and had (still have?) a banner. I don't know whether the Wolves' record still stands. I kinda wanna say the Raports broke it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

CharlotteHornets1988-89attendancechampionsbanner.jpg

I think the Timberwovles broke that record the next year (playing in the Metrodome) and had (still have?) a banner. I don't know whether the Wolves' record still stands. I kinda wanna say the Raports broke it.

Minnesota broke the league attendance record in 88-89, with 1,072,572. After a moderate seach of google, I believe the record still stands for a season.

Pretty amazing to think they played a game that first year in front of 49,000+ fans at the Metrodome, and it was only the third largest attendance for a game in NBA history. The largest was 62,000 in the Georgia Dome to see the Hawks vs. Bulls in 1998.

...that concludes your NBA attendance lesson for the day. :lol:

On 1/9/2013 at 11:12 AM, CDixonDesign said:
On 1/9/2013 at 10:55 AM, OnWis97 said:
On 1/9/2013 at 10:43 AM, tohasbo said:

Minnesota broke the league attendance record in 88-89, with 1,072,572. After a moderate seach of google, I believe the record still stands for a season.

Pretty amazing to think they played a game that first year in front of 49,000+ fans at the Metrodome, and it was only the third largest attendance for a game in NBA history. The largest was 62,000 in the Georgia Dome to see the Hawks vs. Bulls in 1998.

...that concludes your NBA attendance lesson for the day. :lol:

I went to the first ever (regular season) game, vs. the Bulls. I got to see Michael Jordan. At least that's what the PA announcer said. I could not really make anything out from how far away I sat.

There were some baaaaaaad seats there. Of course those seats were really cheap. The plethora of cheap seats and the "newness" of the NBA team made for huge attendance.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

At the Staples Center do the Lakers Banners stay up during clipper games?

Yes, but they take down the Clippers' banners for the Lakers. ;)

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Yes, but they take down the Clippers' banners for the Lakers. ;)

Do the Clippers' have any banners? I dont think they've retired any numbers yet, so I assume they're probably related to playoff appearances?

No, the Clippers have nothing hanging. Even the Sparks have retured numbers, and the Avengers had something hanging back when they existed.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

All the banners for all teams remain up, regardless of who's playing. The difference is that depending on who's playing, the arena lights spotlight on that team's banners only. So for Laker games, only the Laker banners are spotlighted, and so are those for the Kings and Sparks when they have their games. For the Clippers, there's no spotlight focused on any of the banners.

Should my Clippers ever actually win a ring, I wonder what their banner might look like? They have no prescedent to go on so it will be sweet to see what they come up with. Better not be a knockoff of what the Lakers have up on the walls like everything else they have. Can,t decide if i'd want to see it on the walls or hanging from the rafters either. Also I,m shocked we haven't retired one jersey yet. Not one?! Sad, sad team but I love them.

Who would you retire? Can't really think of anyone worthy without it seeming like you forced it, unles you wanted to do Bob McAdoo for the Buffalo Braves. You could I guess do Bill Walton but his best years weren't on the Clippers. I think your next best option is Elton Brand whenever he retires, and then Blake Griffin in about 15 years. One other option i guess is Eric Piatkowski for longevity reasons but that'd be a pretty sad choice for first retired number

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg