West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx may change name

Island_Style

The West Tennesse Diamond Jax were finally sold and the new owner indicates a name change.

"After months of speculation and delays, the sale of the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx to a Nashville, Tenn.-based partnership was finalized Friday.

And while a name change might be in store for the team, the new owners indicated that Southern League clubs will continue to visit Jackson, Tenn., to play the Seattle Mariners' Double-A affiliate."

What the hell is a Diamond Jack or Jaxx?

The West Tennesse Diamond Jax were finally sold and the new owner indicates a name change.

"After months of speculation and delays, the sale of the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx to a Nashville, Tenn.-based partnership was finalized Friday.

And while a name change might be in store for the team, the new owners indicated that Southern League clubs will continue to visit Jackson, Tenn., to play the Seattle Mariners' Double-A affiliate."

What the hell is a Diamond Jack or Jaxx?

jax.jpg

jax.jpg

That answer your question?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Actually, the team is "West Tenn," not "West Tennessee" or "Jackson."

The "Diamond" reference is to the diamond mines in the Mid-South region; if you look at Arkansas' flag, for example, the logo is diamond-shaped:

arflag3.gif

I am also guessing that the people who brought the team into Jackson had ideas about moving the team within Western Tennessee, given the competition from entrenched minor-league teams like the Memphis Redbirds, Nashville Sounds, Tennessee Smokies, and the Chattanooga Lookouts.

The Jaxx thing might be a play on the name of "Jackson." Puns all around!

Something tells me the Jaxx won't be changing their name. I live twenty minutes from their home, Pringles Park, and this is the first time I've heard anything about a possible name change. Plus, the new owners are locals and probably wouldn't want to mess too much with the team's ID for several reasons, laziness being one of them.

Although, I would not be against a name change, preferably to the Jackson Generals. The city of Jackson was named after Gen. Andrew Jackson and used to have a Kentucky-Illinois-Tennessee ("Kitty") League team in the 1950's called the Generals. I also think they should keep the colours of green, silver, black, et cetera. (The only foreseeable obstacle to this that I can think of would be that the Jackson State Community College athletic teams are also nicknamed the Generals with similar colours.)

Also, right now a Diamond Jaxx/Jack is apparently a diamond miner. However, the original identity of the team suggested a playing card motif. I believe the name was chosen via fan contest. Surprise. I'll get all my logo info and such up soon.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

I also think they should keep the colours of green, silver, black, et cetera. (The only foreseeable obstacle to this that I can think of would be that the Jackson State Community College athletic teams are also nicknamed the Generals with similar colours.

The Diamond Jaxx color palette is a bit large:

WestTennesseeDiamondJaxx_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

I am hereby proposing to the world that the team change their name to the Jackson Action. The logo shall be of Carl Weathers with a machine gun-bat in one hand, and stew in the other.

Logo to come. Or not.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I also think they should keep the colours of green, silver, black, et cetera. (The only foreseeable obstacle to this that I can think of would be that the Jackson State Community College athletic teams are also nicknamed the Generals with similar colours.

The Diamond Jaxx color palette is a bit large:

[Colour Palette]

This is true... Well, I would definitely get rid of the excess accent colours and such. PANTONE, do you have their colours pre-2002? That's kinda what I had in mind, plus one shade of silver/grey.

(Nevermind. Found 'em.)

WestTennesseeDiamondJaxx_FRC_2001_SOL.jpg

I am hereby proposing to the world that the team change their name to the Jackson Action. The logo shall be of Carl Weathers with a machine gun-bat in one hand, and stew in the other.

I was just about to get a stew on.

The "Diamond" reference is to the diamond mines in the Mid-South region; if you look at Arkansas' flag, for example, the logo is diamond-shaped:

[Arkansas Flag]

I am also guessing that the people who brought the team into Jackson had ideas about moving the team within Western Tennessee, given the competition from entrenched minor-league teams like the Memphis Redbirds, Nashville Sounds, Tennessee Smokies, and the Chattanooga Lookouts.

The Jaxx thing might be a play on the name of "Jackson." Puns all around!

Yeah, just fully read this post. :P The man what brought the Jaxx to town was from Memphis, IIRC. The Jaxx are formerly the Memphis Chicks, so they were located in Jackson to compete with the Redbirds at first, seeing as the Redbirds were not existent.

The name was a pun of sorts that was most likely thought up by some dyslexic Jacksonian who enjoyed baseball. Also, I believe the original logo was drawn by some old woman. Not sure why...

Also, there aren't too many, if any, diamond mines in West Tenn. Arkansas, however, produces more diamonds than any other state in the Union.

idk about that one- they're definitely referred to as West Tenn, but I wouldn't say that's the official name.

West Tennessee

I would say it is. Check out the copyright info on their team site.

idk about that one- they're definitely referred to as West Tenn, but I wouldn't say that's the official name.

West Tennessee

I would say it is. Check out the copyright info on their team site.

alrighty then... B)

to be on topic, I wish they'd keep the Jaxx identity- IMO one of the best logos in MiLB.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Logo to come. Or not.

Only if the logo includes a shot of Craig T. Nelson driving the Halley.

nav-logo.png

Logo to come. Or not.

Only if the logo includes a shot of Craig T. Nelson driving the Halley.

Only if the mascot is Sharon Stone, only circa the time the movie was released. Not a cable classic like Bosworth's "Stone Cold", but that actually was a good film.

Archived