Kitchener Rangers - Memorial Cup jersey

J.R.

The Memorial Cup opens Friday when the hosts and OHL champion Kitchener Rangers take on QMJHL champion Gatineau Olympiques. The Rangers will wear a special commemorative jersey for only the first game of the tournament.

9079acff4f59ad8dd31ad11b2137.jpeg

PDF here: http://www.therecord.com/pdfs/2008May14/D01.PDF

The Rangers will wear something different against Gatineau at the Aud.

Special uniforms honouring those who served in the First World War will be worn for the only time on Friday. Afterwards, they'll be auctioned off to benefit the K-W Poppy Fund. The uniforms were partly inspired by old British recruitment posters. Lord Kitchener, then Britain's secretary of war, was featured on some of the posters.

The Memorial Cup was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association in 1919 in memory of those who died for Canada in the First World War.

http://news.therecord.com/article/349981

Thoughts?

teams-1.png

Quite appropriate given that it is the Memorial Cup. These look nice. But.... what's the deal with the player sitting in the background? ^_^

Yeah, kind of random. Perhaps the photographer should have asked for the background to be cleared.

Memorial jerseys worn during the Memorial Cup played at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. Classy.

comm_jersey_DSC2528-170-5.jpg

teams-1.png

They are very nice. I'm in the crowd that wasn't impressed that Kitchener got the Cup over Oshawa (particularly in regards to venues) but I must say that the Rangers thus far have done a good job of being a memorable host. Those uniforms are very classy. If anyone were able to snaggle a good quality shot of the crest, then we can rig up an image of the uniforms for the webpage

Oh, man, I'm a complete sucker for this jersey. Even the elements I don't particularly like from a pure design standpoint sort of "work" for me within the overall context. (Such as the imbalance between the shoulder and sleeve striping.) A team in a town named for Kitchener ought to wear these unis full time.

Were the jerseys auctioned off at the game, or is the auction yet to come?

20082614447.png

^They probably will be auctioned off. Every year on Remembrance Day, they've worn a commemorative jersey, and then auctioned them off afterwards. I don't see why they wouldn't this time around.

Right. I'm just wondering where, when, and how the auction has or will take place. Auctioned at the game, or online after, or what?

20082614447.png

I personally, really dislike that logo. I think it is poorly done and they could have managed to muster up something better than this. Love the idea. Like the jersey. Dislike the logo.

I'm the opposite of Steve-O...love the logo...but the stripes are a bit overwhelming.

Maybe it's just my eyes...but I can't tell...is it a white jersey...or off-white/creamish?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Those are really cool. Are they made of the same fabric as their normal jerseys?

I especially like the crest. That could be incorporated into everyday jerseys and I don't think anyone would mind.

Now, as far as commemorating Canadian WWI vets or whatever.... I don't think there's even any left alive. So that's odd.

I'm on the Rangers mailing list, here is what they had to say about the Jerseys, some pretty cool history behind them

"Kitchener Rangers Commemorative Jersey Auction - 5/16/2008

Kitchener Rangers to wear a special commemorative jersey on for opening game of 2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup - Friday, May 16, 2008.

The special jersey to be worn once was designed by the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club in honour of the Canadian Forces. The design was derived from a recruiting poster that was used in England during WWI. This popular recruiting poster was inspired by "Lord Kitchener", the same individual that the City of Kitchener was subsequently named after. The poster's popularity led the United States to use this poster as the basis for the creation of their "I Want You - US Army" poster in their recruiting efforts on this side of the Atlantic.

The Memorial Cup was donated in 1919 by the Ontario Hockey Association as a memorial to those young men and women who had given their lives in the defence of Canada during World War I. The 2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup marks the 90th time that the Memorial Cup will be awarded.

All proceeds from this auction will go towards supporting the Kitchener-Waterloo Poppy Fund. Poppy funds are spent to support veterans and their families, buy hospital equipment, support cadet groups, and provide student bursaries. "

Great jerseys -- great cause...

Kitchener has always been a great supporter of defence and the troops.

With its German heritage and population, the town/city was named "Berlin" until WWI when it switched, and was named after Boer War hero Field Marshal Horatio Herbert Kitchener -- Lord Kitchener.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Archived