NBA Redesign: Utah Jazz

Starchild

Alright, so I finally found some inspiration after the Utah/L.A. semifinals series. I like what they had during the 90s, yet I liked the oldschool New Orleans colors. I like the current baby-blue alternate, but find the recoloring and their overall identity to be rather bland and uninspired. Seems to be a recurring theme in oh, just about every design I've ever produced here ^_^ .

That said, this is the version 1.0 of what I've been toying with. For your viewing pleasure are the first stage of the home/road primaries as well as a third jersey (one with a minor variation - a nod to the present alternate styling). Tried to combine the different eras together. I don't think I'm quite there yet, obviously, so any feedback is, as always, craved. I think I'm most interested in toying with the use of the alternate logo I put together that combines the current wordmark and the old musical note wordmark. As you can see, there's two variations on that.

The first is similar to the old logo where it is flat and without any kind of dropshadow. The other one tries to reconcile the the current 3-D look with the old design by making the ball on the note/"J" appear to actually have some depth. Now, in that part, I tried to keep the color organization the same (purple primary with green/yellow pieces on the ball) however it didn't look right to me, so I kept green as the primary. Any suggestions on how to improve the idea would be appreciated. Have at it people!

UtahJazz_Preview.jpg

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I know I don't have any merit here being new but to me it's kinda wierd. green and purple just both seem like secondary colors to me. I know green is a primary for a few teams but I don't see it for Utah. The green outline on the white jerseys seems forced to me but it also seems like something that would grow on me. Ditto with the white outline on the purple jersey.

On a second note: I love the basketball on the purple jersey's "J" maybe use it on all of them.

I think the Jazz (& every other non-championship team) need a clean break from their past. The colors are not them anymore. Their current sets are great colorwise, but could use some more unique jersey layout. I know I bring a bias as the largest Jazz fan on this site, but that green/yellow/purple is not the Jazz now.

I do like the chest script however. I think the Jazz should switch to that on all jerseys because of how great it looks on their alternate.

ujsignature.png

I'll be the contrarian here. I really like these. I thought the franchise's original colors were unique for the league. It's hard not to like the colors they have now, but I also find their set to be a bit unimaginative. Plus, there is an abundance of blue teams in the NBA. One fewer would be fine with me.

As much as I like the alternate wordmark idea, the curvature of the ball really clashes with the angles present in the rest of the wordmark. Also, you seem to have a bit too much green thrown in. When I picture the old school Jazz, the green was much more of a trim color. I'd rather see the Jazz in the current colors, but with more emphasis on purple.

VmWIn6B.png

yeah i think im with LMU and some other ppl...i see the old Jazz as a purple team with green accent. that being said, i also think u need to go away from the "New Orleans" colors and go for more of a "Utah" feel to the colors if u dont like the current scheme. as for the alternate wordmark u made, I like the simpler 2D one better...it has less going on and is a better solution imo.

i look forward to more progress with this, cuz i know u'll eventually nail out something splendid.

Don't want to hijack but I made these a while back. Thought you might wanna take a look and feel free to play around with the colors and use them if you think it might help. I agree with you that this is a good version 1.0 i like the idea but I think it needs more thought and more tweaking. I might suggest different shades of color. mayber a deeper purple or faded purple, darker green, and more goldenrod yellow.

jazz3.jpg

jazz2.jpg

jazz.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. So basically, using the old color set is holding it back. Odd, I thought most people found the Jazz to have totally uninspired colors, just being another blue-on-blue team. But okay, so keep the blue/purple and just put more of an emphasis on the purple rather than the blue.

Now, should I bother using either alternate wordmark idea (with tweaking) or should I just drop it altogether? And as for the jersey layout, any problems, suggestions, etc.?

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

yeah, i'd say go with a purple then blue scheme (maybe add a new lighter color [a neutral grey or brown] to set em both off?)

and i am FOR using the alternate wordmark, but maybe only on the alternate jersey. also, i think u should make a UTAH wordmark to put on the away uni's. just keep the traditional JAZZ wordmark for the home uni...

*anxiously awaits 2nd version*

The ball in the alternate jersey's wordmark seems a bit forced, although, strangely, it looks fine in the logo you did on the bottom left. I do, however, love the ties to the past. Otherwise, I can honestly say I'd love to see the Jazz go with this look. I'm no crazy about the thick white otuline/shadow on the road jersey. It looks especially awkward next to the home set, since the wordmark doesn't have any white at all. Oh, and kudos for losing unnecssary piping. What I'd do is use the logo you did with the ball on the bottom left as the wordmark, and then slap it on the green as an alt using the same collar/shoulder method in the home and road. Also, for the record, I've hated the Jazz for the bulk of my life, but I've always kinda dug the purple/green/yellow look. Great stuff.

The ball in the original Jazz logo was there to form the circle at the base of the note that formed the 'J'. While it looks alright on yours in a way (does clash with the predominantly angled/jagged forms of the letters), it's really just in there for the sake of trying to tie together the two eras. If you're wanting to use that basketball, I'd try and make the 'J' look more like a note (kinda like what goforbroke did, although his is still a little hazy as to if it could be actually called a note or not), or just don't use it. And I agree, leave the New Orleans colors in the past. Their current colors may seem overused, but they actually fit with their location, kind of wintery and all. Unfortunately, it doesn't go with the name, but they started gearing their look more towards Utah than Jazz about 12 years ago.

OK, so here's version 2...

Changes:

-Returned to purple/blue color scheme, removed the darker blue and made the purple darker and faded

-Removed drop shadow on jersey wordmark

-Changed style of the alternate jersey

UtahJazz_Preview2.jpg

I'm not sure which home jersey I like better, so I thought I'd toss 'em both up there and see what everyone else thinks. Have at it people!

Archived