Island_Style

What Floats your Boat?

10,797 posts in this topic

http://gothamist.com...exting_whil.php

New York State banned texting-while-driving in 2009, and violating the ban warranted three points on a driving record; starting today, though, that penalty for a first offense will be upped to a five-points. Reckless driving also carries a five-point penalty, while speeding 11-20 miles per hour over the posted limit is only a 4 point violation. And to discourage new drivers from texting behind the wheel even further, Cuomo is proposing legislation that would suspend probationary and junior licenses for 60 days if the licensee is caught using a cellphone while driving.

I live in NJ but this is close enough that I care. Still not enough of a deterrent IMO. Until penalties are REALLY stiff and start catching people's attention it's a problem that's not going away any time soon. Still, it's a step in the right direction. As a proponent of making roads safer I'm all for it.

And states that don't even have a ban of any kind yet...get with the program. Driving isn't a right. It's a privilege. Most people don't understand that.

And not to go on a rant here, but there's almost literally nothing that can't wait to look/reply to a text while you're driving. And if it IS such an emergency you can pull over somewhere.

Here's the FMSCA ranking for severity of bad things you can do on the road in a commercial vehicle: http://www.csa2010.com/articles/CSA_2010_Unsafe_Driving_Violation_Severity_Chart.htm

Texting/Talking has the highest severity weight-- 10. "Inadequate brakes" is a 4.

Holy hell, I'm a high school graduate.

Congrats man! I've got another year and 2 weeks to go.

I have 16 more weeks till I finish

Holy hell, I'm a high school graduate.

Congrats. Now go kick ass in the next four years.

I forget you're that young, Crash. Congrats!

Also, my boat floater: getting promoted after less than a year at my current position. It'll be official Monday. Super stoked!

Animaniacs on the HUB Network

2 people like this

I got invited by a friend to the Great American suite at Great American Ballpark tonight.

edit: and in addition to that I landed an interview with a company I've wanted to work for for a long time. It's been a good day.

1 person likes this

Every time I leave a D Backs game they give coupons for free fountain sodas at Circle K. I always take them and keep them but haven't used them till today. I've acquired about 25 of them over the season, and now that it's 107 outside and I live directly behind a Circle K, I'm about to get my money's worth in refreshment!

Grillin' stuff.

4 people like this

My brother and I both won pairs of tickets to see and possibly meet Anna Kendrick in NYC tomorrow night through some radio contest. Will post pics.

I hate you so much right now.

Getting to play a pickup game of ice hickey with some of the AUS/SA players. So much fun

The moment when the pain of a massive headache goes away instantly.

My brother and I both won pairs of tickets to see and possibly meet Anna Kendrick in NYC tomorrow night through some radio contest. Will post pics.

So yes, just got home and settled from an awesome night after meeting Anna Kendrick. It was awesome and what made it even better was the fact that I paid exactly $0 for it.

After some trouble actually finding where the place was (we accidentally were looking for 132nd street instead of 32nd :D ), we were able to get there on time before anything started. We walk in and there's about 40-50 people in this pretty small room with a bunch of tables set up. It started off with some crappy radio DJ doing his best to interview her, but his jokes were not going over very well with the audience although she was able to overcome that and make it pretty funny. Then they had us watch the "Cups" music video and we had some sort of competition where everyone was doing the cups thing and she would walk around and choose whoever did it best (which was kinda dumb because there was really no difference between the 30 or so people in the room that actually knew how to do it, so not really sure how she chose who won). I out of obsession for her learned how to do the cups thing so I was good, but my buddy had no idea what to do and she joked with him about it, which was really funny.

When we finally get to meet her she could not have been any nicer. I've met a few celebrities and a bunch of athletes in the past few years but all of them sort of just followed the same routine: smile, shake your hand, take a picture, sign an autograph and you're done. I decided that I was going to jokingly ask her a question, and when I did she listened extremely intently, almost like she had known me for years and I was telling her some extremely important news (she laughed at the joke if you were wondering, our wedding is in a few months). After we took the picture and she was signing autographs, I told her that this was "pretty much the best day of my life." She responded in a really nice voice with "That's a lie, but it's really sweet, thanks." So yeah, Anna Kendrick called me a liar when I was sort of telling the truth :lol: .

Only problem was that they wouldn't let you take your own cell-phone pictures from a short distance so I really only have a few crappy phone pics right now. I'll post a high-quality picture sometime tomorrow when the radio station uploads them to their website. Sorry for such a long post, but I had to vent my happiness if that's even possible.

1 person likes this

Grillin' stuff.

Eating grilled stuff.

Grillin' stuff.

Eating grilled stuff.

BOTH

And awesome camcraz! It's really cool when you meet famous down to earth people. Let alone a fine female as Anna. Congrats on the "nuptials" by the way lol.

edit: nevermind

Eight years ago today, I founded my small business at the Regional Business Centre of Sudbury. It is still in operation today. I want to send shoutouts to all of my wonderful customers over the years, as well as the people I have collaborated with.

EIGHT GREAT MOMENTS IN EB FILMS HISTORY

1. Pre-founding (2004): The creation of my first film, Billy Davis, actually predates the official founding of EB Films,

but I include it in my library. I want to thank all my high school friends for their contributions to my first film.

2. Founding of the business: June 10, 2005

I am thankful to the Regional Business Centre for the Summer Company program, which I took part in in the summer of 2005.

Thanks to the grant I received from them, as well as the training, I have been able to operate my business to this day.

3. Music video - Run - Shane Daniel (2005?)

Thanks to Courtney B and of course Shane B for making this music video with me.

It is still one of my favourite collaborations.

4. Battle of the Bands at Summerfest 2005:

Thank you to the staff of Sudbury Summerfest, who in 2005, got my business to make a video of their Battle of the Bands.

It included such acts as Betty Beats Veronica and Too Far North.

5. Summerfest 2006/07:

Similarly, I was able to produce videos for some of the performers at the 2006 and 2007 festivals.

6. Red Scarf - 2007: Admittedly a student film, I decided to put it into EB Films' library as well. It is still one of my babies.

Thanks to Seneca College and my classmates for helping me make this film.

7. PROMises - 2010: My latest film to date. A story dear to my heart. Thank you to Thea Lavorato for being the inspiration for the story.

Thank you to all of my actors and co-writers and all of my extras and crew.

Also a special thanks to the Church of the Ascension for the use of their hall, and Kristen B and Inadequate Rumour for their music.

8. Future memories. I am looking forward to whatever lies in store for EB Films. I would like to encourage fans of local talent to support my fundraiser! Together we can make the next film happen!

(link removed by self - don't want to keep pestering the boards...)

Here's to eight more years!

Photo02191_zpsdcc2135d.jpg

Summer. Because it means that the BotW thread is gonna get a LOT more active. :boogie:

1 person likes this

Got an interview at Fleet Farm. :)