Island_Style

What Floats your Boat?

11,063 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2017 at 7:35 PM, DG_Now said:

Plus, at least in Seattle, Lyft and Uber drivers are the worst and there are more of them at times there shouldn't be.

Lyft and Uber have convinced a lot of terrible drivers that they should be on the road more and not less, so you see a lot of people meandering through busy streets, making sudden turns, turning the wrong way on one-way streets, and barely looking for pedestrians or other traffic because they're trying to find their fares.

For all of the miseries of the cab industry, at least their drivers knew how to successfully drive aggressively and know when to get out of the damn way. Also, I've never been in a cab where the driver wanted to make conversation and that is always a benefit to me.

Probably because you aren't a hot, young chick.

Double-parking and almost getting doored by passengers when cycling to-and-from work are the things that really annoy me about ridesharing on the road.

I went to my first midnight screening of The Room!

1 person likes this

This picture I took two years ago came across my timeline on Facebook: I encountered "Cafeteria Jesus".

FB_IMG_1489720032782.jpg

So I posted last week about the company I work for circling the drain. Well, I don't have to worry about that anymore because I've got a new job! New field that I've been trying to get into for a while now, nice raise, better actual benefits, three weeks vacation to start. I'm thrilled!

3 people like this

Replaced the RAM cards in my MacBook Pro, going from 4GB total (2x2GB) to 8GB (2x4GB). It was pretty simple and I can already see a marked improvement in performance. I haven't tried running my Creative Suite software yet, but hopefully it holds up. If not, the next step may be replacing the hard drive with a solid state drive. 

I turned in my resignation last week; after next week, I'll no longer work here.

I don't have anything lined up, but I just couldn't keep going.  In fact, I'm planning to take a few months away from employment and do some serious travel.  For once in my life I'm in a position where I can do that and not hurt too badly, so I'm going to take advantage of that and try to get my head together.

8 people like this

3 minutes ago, Mockba said:

I turned in my resignation last week; after next week, I'll no longer work here.

I don't have anything lined up, but I just couldn't keep going.  In fact, I'm planning to take a few months away from employment and do some serious travel.  For once in my life I'm in a position where I can do that and not hurt too badly, so I'm going to take advantage of that and try to get my head together.

Best of luck man :)

Watching old people try to figure out kids with "special reports" and "expertise". Will smith is right. Parents just don't understand. 

Also, 💀➡️🔥,🐸. But first, 👀

2 people like this

Client feedback on a video was glowing except "we hate the music, please provide a few additional options." So I finally had cause to use this original clip (and not the "your meme is bad" version) and in the appropriate context when I sent it to one of our editors!

On 2/3/2017 at 11:57 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Accepted into a PhD program!

Quoting myself because I got word last week that it's a full ride with a 4-year stipend.

So... I'm kind of excited, I guess.

6 people like this

Bar games. I love going out to places that have pool or darts or shuffleboard. To me, there are few things better than spending an evening with some friends and a few pints, putting a few dollars each in the jukebox, and playing some games. If they've got one of those hunting video games, it doesn't hurt, but the more traditional games will be more fun for a longer time.

17 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Quoting myself because I got word last week that it's a full ride with a 4-year stipend.

So... I'm kind of excited, I guess.

Free PhD program? That's awesome. Congrats, Dr. 

14 hours ago, AndrewPF said:

Bar games. I love going out to places that have pool or darts or shuffleboard. To me, there are few things better than spending an evening with some friends and a few pints, putting a few dollars each in the jukebox, and playing some games. If they've got one of those hunting video games, it doesn't hurt, but the more traditional games will be more fun for a longer time.

No idea why, but I'm a little surprised that people still play pool. Guess I figured with video games, bar trivia, smartphones, etc., that pool had fallen by the wayside. Nice to know you young folk still shoot pool. 

Speaking of pool, should we ever have a CCSLC-con, I'd be happy to play 8 or 9-ball for money with anyone who wants to play. B)

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

No idea why, but I'm a little surprised that people still play pool. Guess I figured with video games, bar trivia, smartphones, etc., that pool had fallen by the wayside. Nice to know you young folk still shoot pool. 

Speaking of pool, should we ever have a CCSLC-con, I'd be happy to play 8 or 9-ball for money with anyone who wants to play. B)

Oh, I love trivia, but I have a complete and total inability to play as part of a team because I'm an a-hole. Trivia is something I have to undertake as a solo activity. I've established it as Something I'm Good At, so I have to be the "captain" if I'm playing with a team. This makes nobody happy, so I only ever get involved with trivia on my own. I should really work on that, but at the same time, solo trivia night sees me walk out with some kind of prize 9/10 times, so maybe I should keep doing what I'm doing.

Tonight one of the categories was sports logos! Which NHL logo depicts a hockey stick broken in half?

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Free PhD program? That's awesome. Congrats, Dr. 

Essentially free - there are costs (a few hundred a semester in university fees, mainly) that it doesn't cover.

And it's not Dr. sc49erfan15 yet - check back (hopefully) in about 4 years. ;)

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Essentially free - there are costs (a few hundred a semester in university fees, mainly) that it doesn't cover.

I have faith. B)

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I swear, if you don't start going by Dr. Stirrup or Dr. Sock Stripe around here when you get your PhD, it'd be a wasted effort.

Seriously though, congrats on being accepted and the free ride!

pro wrestling

1 person likes this

I got accepted into two college classes, actually at a college.

For free.

I'm a sophomore in high school.

1 person likes this