Island_Style

What Floats your Boat?

11,113 posts in this topic

I scored the game winning goal in overtime of game 2 of my men's league final last night. It's a best of 3 so we staved off elimination. First time I've ever had the game winner in an overtime. Played in a few OTs back in high school, but was never the guy to end the game. 

4 people like this

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I scored the game winning goal in overtime of game 2 of my men's league final last night. It's a best of 3 so we staved off elimination. First time I've ever had the game winner in an overtime. Played in a few OTs back in high school, but was never the guy to end the game. 

It's really an amazing experience. I never thought my rec roller hockey league would give me such a rush until I did the same thing. We were the bottom seed, playing a team that should've absolutely murdered us, but I scored 4 goals, including the OT winner to knock them out of the playoffs. I had also arrived just in time for our 9am game after a bachelor party the night before (this was before hangovers were something I actually experienced, although I might've still been drunk). It's my Al Bundy Polk High 4-Touchdown game, and I'm honestly pretty proud of it....strangely enough, I think I was working in a shoe store at the time.

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

It's really an amazing experience. I never thought my rec roller hockey league would give me such a rush until I did the same thing. We were the bottom seed, playing a team that should've absolutely murdered us, but I scored 4 goals, including the OT winner to knock them out of the playoffs. I had also arrived just in time for our 9am game after a bachelor party the night before (this was before hangovers were something I actually experienced, although I might've still been drunk). It's my Al Bundy Polk High 4-Touchdown game, and I'm honestly pretty proud of it....strangely enough, I think I was working in a shoe store at the time.

Yeah it was surprisingly exciting. I may have yelled a little too loud and threw my arms up like I was in the the actual Stanley cup playoffs so I felt a little dorky about that. 

Wish I could say it was some highlight reel play, but it came on a power play. I was in the slot closer to the right post, my teammate curled out of the far corner and tried to hit me with a pass, their guy tipped it which popped it up and rolled down the goalie's back for what felt like a minute and then I whacked it in before they could pounce on it. Johnny on the spot as they say. It felt like it was sitting there in the blue paint for forever. 

Bought a new baseball glove yesterday and there's just something about getting and having a new glove.

1 person likes this

My nephew scoring his first goal today is a real boat floater. He also had a couple blocks today and he picked up an assist last week. He lives in Key West. Of all the sports I thought he'd get into, hockey wasn't any of them. 

Utfgsji.jpg

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Mockba said:

I'm going around the world in 92 days, starting next week.

(Suggestions for what to see/do/eat/etc in each place are most welcome.)

That's a pretty crazy trip. Did you plan it all piecemeal, or is it a package of some kind? I hope you have a great time.

17 hours ago, Mockba said:

I guess this would fall under the "etc." portion....try to get a similar souvenir at each stop, whether it's a shot glass, lapel pin, postcard, etc.

Back in high school, I'd bought a 70's brown throwback Padres cap with the gold front panel. Then my dad moved and I lost it amidst all the packing, and figured after occasionally digging for it in storage here and there over the last 7 years that it was gone for good. Just last night I went through some old stuff my Dad found - it was actually a box I'd looked through before - and it fell right out of another hat it'd been tucked under the whole time. Wasn't dirty at all, the bill miraculously wasn't bent or messed up at all, and it still fits perfectly (wearing it right now, in fact). It's great to have it back in my collection again.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Mockba said:

The only place on your itinerary that I've been to is Toronto so I can't help much with the suggestions, but wow, what a cool thing you're doing here. Travel safe and enjoy the ride.

By the way, on the off chance that you to stop by a Harley Dealership in Australia, I wear a size XXL t-shirt. :D

18 hours ago, Cosmic said:

That's a pretty crazy trip. Did you plan it all piecemeal, or is it a package of some kind? I hope you have a great time.

I planned/booked it all myself.  I created a spreadsheet with things I was interested in seeing, including games (mostly soccer).  There were a few iterations, but once I had it down, I started booking flights and hotels.  I was originally going to book a month or so ahead of time and then wing it a bit, but I'm a bit of a control freak about my travel arrangements, so I'm fully booked.

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I guess this would fall under the "etc." portion....try to get a similar souvenir at each stop, whether it's a shot glass, lapel pin, postcard, etc.

I'm going to end up buying far too many soccer scarves, I have a feeling, but I dig your idea as well.  It'll have to be something relatively small so that I can get them all in my luggage.  Speaking of which, I haven't started actually packing yet, and I'm kind of dreading the decisions I'm going to have to make on that front.

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The only place on your itinerary that I've been to is Toronto so I can't help much with the suggestions, but wow, what a cool thing you're doing here. Travel safe and enjoy the ride.

By the way, on the off chance that you to stop by a Harley Dealership in Australia, I wear a size XXL t-shirt. :D

I'll keep that in mind. :D 

I haven't been to Toronto in probably a decade, but I've been around ten times.  It's one of my favorite cities anywhere.  Minnesota United is playing there on that Saturday, which made it a great jumping-off point.  Plus, Chris (that guy whose name is on the site) and I are going to hit the Blue Jays' game on Friday.

Thanks, y'all.  I'm excited and nervous and all of that right now.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Mockba said:

I haven't been to Toronto in probably a decade, but I've been around ten times.  It's one of my favorite cities anywhere.  

I've been to Toronto three times. It's one of my favorites too. 

Just got done booking my flight to Vancouver en route to New Zealand and then my return flight as well. I love having upcoming flights set in stone. HUGE boat floater.

2 people like this

On 5/6/2017 at 0:10 AM, Mockba said:

Impressive!

Just a question, hope it's not too personal, but I really am curious:

How in the heck can you (or anyone, for that matter) do this?

Firstly, the time factor.  I don't think I could get 92 days -- three whole months-- away from work EVER.  Not sure the project schedule would allow it, even if I could build up that much vacation time (which I cannot, there is a limit to how much vacation time my company allows me to accrue).  Are you a teacher; self-employed; own your own business?

Secondly, the cost factor.  92 nights of lodging is one thing (though I guess you can do hostels and such on the cheap) but the flights alone have to be staggeringly cost-prohibitive.  Figuring some intra-continental rail travel in Europe or other places, I'm still counting at least 17 flights on your itinerary, some of which are between continents and must be pretty pricey-- well over a $1000 a pop each.  Do you work for an airline? Are you a trust fund baby, or are you Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne?^_^

On 5/5/2017 at 10:10 PM, Mockba said:

Looks like it'll be an unbelievable experience!

I went to Shanghai in 2014 and have a few things I would recommend:

1) Shanghai World Financial Centre - This was one of the highlights for me. I went up to the viewing platform at night and it was amazing. The whole experience to get to the top seemed like something from the future. Compared to the Oriental Pearl Tower (which I did during the daytime) where the line just snaked through endless guardrails, every aspect of the SWFC was something to experience. The difference of day/night may have impacted the number of people there but there was a much better opportunity to see the view and soak it all in at the SWFC rather than being packed like sardines at the Pearl Tower. Although I must say that the glass floor of the Pearl Tower was quite the experience as well. -- I must add that the Shanghai Tower wasn't fully completed when I was there so I'm not sure what kind of views/experiences that would entail.

2) ERA - Intersection of Time show - This is easily one of the best shows of any kind that I've ever seen. I've been to Cirque Du Soleil in Vegas and in my opinion, it didn't even come close to being as awe-inspiring as ERA did. It's reasonably priced and you will see flawless feats of strength, acrobatics, and incredible coordination.

3) Walk along the Bund - do this during the day and at night to experience the full effect of the Pudong skyline. If you're into skylines/buildings this is a view you will want to look at for a while.

4) East Nanjing Rd. - This is the "Times Square" of Shanghai and good for people watching and just strolling up and down. Not much of a cultural experience but worth checking out nonetheless. Although I must warn you that you will be bombarded by people offering you massages and "lady sex". 

5) Soccer - I see you've mentioned you plan to see soccer on your trip. I went to two games in Shanghai... Shanghai East Asia in Shanghai Stadium and Shanghai Shenhua in Hongkou Football Stadium. Shanghai Stadium was nicer but both made for enjoyable experiences. We were able to purchase affordable tickets at the door for both games. 

As far as things I would not recommend, I would advise against going to the Museum of Science and Technology. It was filled with cheesy exhibits and other than an escape from the heat, it was a waste of time. Although the building was pretty neat from the outside.

We used the subway system to get to all of our destinations and it was very easy to navigate... although extremely congested. If you want any more info on the things I've mentioned above or even if you're curious about what else I did while I was there, feel free to PM me. 

On 5/8/2017 at 8:32 AM, B-Rich said:

Just a question, hope it's not too personal, but I really am curious:

How in the heck can you (or anyone, for that matter) do this?

Last fall, I sold my house in Minneapolis.  I made a decent amount of money on the sale, which I used to clear my credit card debt then put the rest away.

By late spring, I was really falling into some serious depression, exacerbated by issues at my work.  I decided to quit (after proper notice, natch) and take some time away from employment, since for once in my life, I was in a place where I could do so.  As travel is one of my vices, I decided to travel a bit... and then it transformed into this sort of plan.

Is it the most logical or conventional thing to do? Nope.  But maybe there's something to that "YOLO" idea, eh?  I'm certainly not getting younger.

That said, I was able to find some pretty decent deals on flights; in fact, I think the only flight that was over $1,000 was from Peru to San Diego (via Atlanta)--and that's because I decided to splurge and go first class, since I leave Lima at 1am.  (Also, it was originally supposed to be just to Atlanta, but because the RoboSphincter [aka Mercedes-Benz Stadium] is delayed, Atlanta United is rescheduling their game against Minnesota United.)  I haven't done the math as of yet; I should do that.

Ok, math is done.  The total for flights, train travel, and rental cars is just under $9,400, which includes the $2,200 indulgence for the first class flights back; with economy, it would have been around $8,400.

6 people like this

20 hours ago, Mockba said:

But maybe there's something to that "YOLO" idea, eh?  I'm certainly not getting younger.

I hear you.  Being an old man of 52 with a wife and 2 sophomore daughters -- one college, one high school-- as well as an officer of my consulting firm;  a trip like that seems like a lot of fun to me, but the idea of actually being able to do it is so ALIEN to me-- my time and my money are really not really my own and have not been for a very long time...   I think it's great that you are taking this trip and you will ALWAYS have the memories of actually seeing the entire world, for the rest of your life.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

1 person likes this

On 5/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, Mockba said:

Is it the most logical or conventional thing to do? Nope.  But maybe there's something to that "YOLO" idea, eh?  I'm certainly not getting younger.

That said, I was able to find some pretty decent deals on flights; in fact, I think the only flight that was over $1,000 was from Peru to San Diego (via Atlanta)--and that's because I decided to splurge and go first class, since I leave Lima at 1am.  (Also, it was originally supposed to be just to Atlanta, but because the RoboSphincter [aka Mercedes-Benz Stadium] is delayed, Atlanta United is rescheduling their game against Minnesota United.)  I haven't done the math as of yet; I should do that.

Yeah, no idea when these games are being rescheduled.  Sounds like they could be mid-week games.

"YOLO" was basically our rationale when it came to deciding to go to the Super Bowl.  We were both able to create enough wiggle-room to drive to Houston and back and enjoy some of the goings-on for the Super Bowl.  We make good enough money to consider going (and it was her idea to go bigger on the seats instead of my usual "Just get me in" reasoning for cheap tickets), we don't have kids to worry about.  She knew it was one of my bigger bucket list items, so we made it happen.

Just have to tell logic and sense to kick rocks sometimes and do what makes you happy.  You don't have long to do these things.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:10 AM, Mockba said:

Being from the Philippines, I am a bit disappointed that you're not going there. In Korea I'd recommend you go to 명동 (I think that gets romanized to Myung-Dong, not sure though) is pretty great. The public transportation is really good as well, so you could get around easily. There's also this place called DDP in Dongdaemoon that's pretty cool to look at.

I spent 4 months in China, 2 1/2 of which were in Shanghai.

Going to build off what Gobbi said:

• Alternatively to the SWFC, get a drink at the top of the Jin Mao tower, one of the three megaskyscrapers (I did both, and it sucks paying and getting to the top of the SWFC on a smoggy/foggy day, which happens quite often).
  • Other than those tall towers, skip Pudong. It sucks. Stay in the old city.
  • Definitely do the French Concession. The Propaganda Poster Art Centre is a very small two-room museum but it is very cool, and not "government gimmicky" like say, the Science and Tech museum. Also some great microbreweries there, surprisingly: Shanghai Brewery, Boxing Cat
  • Shelter is a really cool bar that is underground in a decomissioned bomb shelter.
  • I went to a few Shenhua games as well. Cool experience. Easy to find a ticket from a scalper. 
  • You must have Xiaolongbao (Shanghai soup dumplings). Also, if you see any Chinese Muslim places, pop in. One of the many great surprises I had in China, the food is really good and super unique. Get jianbing in the morning, it's like a Chinese savoury breakfast wrap. Try the BBQ street food late night. They have stuff on skewers in refrigerators, you take out what you want and they grill it for you. I crave this often.
  • Echoing the stuff about People's Square/E Nanjing. The Bund is the coolest part of the city IMO.
  • Phonetically for a North American: 1-10 is ee, are, sun, suh, woo, lyo, chi, bah, jyo, shuur. Hello is knee how, thank you is shya-shya, how much is dwo shao. 

In Beijing, make your way out to the Great Wall, and check out the places in the centre of the city (Tienanmen, Forbidden City). Sanlitun is a good area for nightlife and I would personally recommend Heaven Supermarket.

Also went to Tokyo which was cool, although I must say I loved Osaka. A lot of cool subcultures I enjoy at home that are also huge in Japan and sought out there (film photography, technical wear, raw denim). If you have any sort of things you nerd out about, do some research and see if it's a thing in Japan, because they really do it up. I recommend trying okonomiyaki. Went here to find a NPB hat to bring back and they seem to really love Western tourists there, if you're up for that sort of thing.

1 person likes this