• Please log in to reply
10554 replies to this topic

#10541 Geoff

Geoff
  • Burritos 4 lyfe

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted July 19, 2015 - 01:35

It's not incredible ... it's logical. No :censored: there's a chance for life in any star system. There's a chance that a planet with the right atmospheric conditions would be in a distance range that's not too far but not too close to the star. 

It's as logical as saying you have the chance to find the nickel in a mountain of quarters. Yes, you definitely have a chance. Maybe not a great one. but there's a chance.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football
Owner: Fort Walton Airmen (NHA), Louisville Kings (MLH)

#10542 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted July 20, 2015 - 03:27

It's incredible because only 20 years ago, we thought exoplanets were rare. Once we discovered that every system has at least one, we thought they'd mostly consist of gas giants (because those were the only ones we could detect at the time). Now we know rocky planets (like Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) are very common. As I posted a couple of months, we now believe 1 out of every 3 planets are Earth-like and we believe most systems have at least 3 planets, so this is furthering our best estimation that there is a Earth-like planet in nearly every star system. That journey from believing planets like Earth were rare if not one of a kind, to believing Earth-like planets are very common is incredible to me. 

There's a chance that a planet with the right atmospheric conditions would be in a distance range that's not too far but not too close to the star.

That may not be true anymore, or at least our definition of what is the right atmospheric conditions, may not be true anymore. We think there is a good change of finding life in the oceans on Europa, but even most interesting, there is solid evidence pointing to life (basic bacteria and other microbial life) existing in the methane oceans of Titan, presently. That would change everything in terms of what we think the conditions have to be in order to have life.

2is6p1x.jpg

2014 NFC East Champions -- How 'BOUT them Cowboys!

#10543 Geoff

Geoff
  • Burritos 4 lyfe

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 08:07

I didn't say the right atmospheric conditions like Earth. It's just always seemed logical to me that there would not only be planets like ours that could support life but that there's a distinct possibility that there are forms of life than could exist on conditions totally different from Earth that we haven't had the chance to observe yet.

#10544 LMU

LMU
  • Souled Out

• Moderators
  • 16,459 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 19:44

My wife just got and accepted a job offer that'll pay her about 2 ⅔ times her current job along with actually having benefits AND she'll have the perk of being on the same floor as her dad.

banners_zpsa371d4a5.png

logolympiad2012_zps5896f289.pnglogolympiad2014_zpsf5f6900e.png

POTD 12/30/11

#10545 Geoff

Geoff
  • Burritos 4 lyfe

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted July 20, 2015 - 19:50

Wait ... 2.67 times the money and benefits? Where is this kind of job luck and can I get some? lol

#10546 Chawls

Chawls
  • Wrestler of the Year

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

• Favourite Logos:- New Orleans Saints Louisiana patch from 2006
      - Sacramento Republic FC logo
      - Austin Aztex logo
      - Tulsa Roughnecks FC logo
      - Lake Elsinore Storm cap logo
      - New Orleans Pelicans bird-de-lis logo

Posted July 21, 2015 - 01:11

After nearly 26 years of life, I'm finally able to grow some respectable semblance of a mustache. No more chinstrap. Maybe.

Also, thanks to the crew at BASS for answering one of my questions. You didn't have to do that, but you did anyway. And I'm appreciative of that.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

THIS is the FUTURE of women's wrestling.

OAD7tE2.png

#10547 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted July 22, 2015 - 05:06

I didn't say the right atmospheric conditions like Earth. It's just always seemed logical to me that there would not only be planets like ours that could support life but that there's a distinct possibility that there are forms of life than could exist on conditions totally different from Earth that we haven't had the chance to observe yet.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

For what it's worth, I always thought it was logical that there would be alien life that was similar to us and very, very alien to us. So I understand you when you said it isn't incredible but logical that every system has the potential to create earth-like planets because it really should be considered as logical.

2is6p1x.jpg

2014 NFC East Champions -- How 'BOUT them Cowboys!

#10548 See Red

See Red
  • In all kinds of weather

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 11:15

Given the conversation, this seems like an appropriate place for this bit of news coming from NASA today.

http://www.iflscienc...-are-not-alone#

For the first time, scientists have found what appears to be a rocky world orbiting a Sun-like star at almost exactly the same distance that Earth orbits our own Sun. While other potential habitable planets have been found before, this is the first that could plausibly be another Earth. This might be the real deal, people.

Kepler 452b, found by NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope, is located 1,400 light-years from us. It orbits a star that is 4% more massive and 10% brighter than our Sun. The planet itself is 1.6 times the size of Earth – making it a super-Earth – but the scientists are fairly sure that it is a rocky world, owing to its size and the type of star it orbits.

Its orbit, 384.84 Earth days and 5% more distant than our planet is from the Sun, places it right in its star’s habitable zone, where it is not too hot or cold for liquid water to form: the same region Earth is in around the Sun. This is not the first Earth-sized planet found in a habitable zone; last year, the world was abuzz with the discovery of Kepler 186f, more similar in size to Earth. But that planet orbited a red dwarf star, smaller and cooler than the Sun. Kepler 452b, excitingly, orbits almost an exact clone of the Sun.

florida_gators.gif

#10549 Cosmic

Cosmic
  • His rocket makes you yell hooray

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 13:57

And it would only take us a few million years to get to it! I love this kind of stuff, but until technology catches up to the point where we can send a probe there in a lifetime, it kinda bums me out as well.

#10550 Geoff

Geoff
  • Burritos 4 lyfe

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 20:04

Why would we go there? Their star is about 1.5B years ahead of our sun so it's reached a point of making the world too hot and uninhabitable.

#10551 See Red

See Red
  • In all kinds of weather

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 20:19

Why would we go there? Their star is about 1.5B years ahead of our sun so it's reached a point of making the world too hot and uninhabitable.

I think the idea of "going there" is sending a probe in search of life, not seeking it out as an alternative to earth.

Then again, by the time it's actually possible we may have found life elsewhere.

florida_gators.gif

#10552 Cosmic

Cosmic
  • His rocket makes you yell hooray

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 21:44

I'm not saying it's a life boat for Earth; if we ever have the technology to move humanity 14 light-years away, we can probably just fix whatever problems we have here on Earth.

#10553 mr.nascar13

mr.nascar13
  • Hate the sin, but love the sinner

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

• Favourite Logos:Flying Elvis Patriots Logo
      Ohio State Primary Logo
      Ohio Bobcats Primary Logo
      Tennessee "Smoky" Full Body Mascot Logo

Posted July 27, 2015 - 05:45

Went to my first ever baseball game last night and it was awesome. The Columbus Clippers def. the visitinh Rochester Red Wings 5-4. We even caught a ball and had it signed! Great identities between the two (unis can go die in a hole, but whatever), better game, and an absolutely beautiful ballpark.

#10554 DG_Now

DG_Now
  • Operator, number, please; it's been so many years

• Members
  • 14,953 posts

Posted July 28, 2015 - 22:08

Not a Transformers guy, but this is pretty great:

The only flaw is it doesn't actually become a Genesis. My cell phones since 2009 have been Sega Genesises, and this could have been too. What a missed opportunity.

Posted Image

#10555 waltere

waltere
  • A neutral false god who cannot be seen

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

• Favourite Logos:Hartford Whalers, plus homer picks of the Mets & Carolina Panthers

Posted Yesterday, 20:54

Remember the random pseudo-Eiffel Tower thingy they built next to the stadium for the London Olympics:

olympics-previews-day-4.jpg?quality=80&s

They're planning to turn it into 'the world's largest tunnel slide.'

*Insert obligatory bandwagoning/backslapping of favourite teams successes here*

I get it, I step on people's toes when talking about league structure, fairness, balance, and boring things like schedule format. It's like saying that the Middle Ages never happened.

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012