Rule 24a

RobRoberts

Interesting.  So I'm assuming that Nike had to get permission to alter the necks of the Leafs, Ducks, and Sharks in 1997-98?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Interesting.  So I'm assuming that Nike had to get permission to alter the necks of the Leafs, Ducks, and Sharks in 1997-98?

I believe the rule is intended to stop individual players from cutting the neck line of the jersey, like Brian Bozworth used to do in football.

rule 24a (f)

no team's uniform color scheme is to contain a color matching, or resembling the description of "brown"

:P

Wrong sport, Shark.  That actually was a rule in the NFL until they absorbed the remnants of the AAFC which included a certain team from Cleveland.  

Speaking of colors and going off-topic (as opposed to speaking of topics and going off-color), is Pantone on hiatus?

I'm still here; just real busy.

Between working on three different software development projects, and learning Visual Studio .NET (just installed .NET Professional the other day), I'm kind of nuts.

My SSUR-related things I've been doing have mostly been focused on the Team Color lists.  I've gotten TONS of great stuff about the East Coast Hockey League and the Central Hockey League...

It wouldn't surprise me, what with a football being brown. Early leagues might have wanted to try to prevent teams from hiding the ball with their uniform colour.  That sounds like one of them rules from back then.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

'Tis true. The NFL wanted to keep teams from hiding the ball against a brown uniform. Before that rule, one team (I forget who) even tried to deceive opponents by having a picture of a football on the front of the jersey. That was soon banned as well.

MLB still has a similar rule: 1.11(e) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball.

The MLB rule actually affected the use of a teams logo in the not-too-distant past. Remember the Phillies logo that had the stylized "P" that curved into a baseball-seam-type thing in the middle? Well, if you look closely at the unis of that era, you'll notice that squiggle in the middle is missing -- it is just an empty circle. If the squiggle had been left in, it would have been an image of a baseball.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived