WLAF Team Colors Research

TruColor

A good friend of mine just uncovered a bunch of official WLAF helmet and logo sheets, and has been helping me fill in the blanks as far as missing Pantones go.

I now have confirmed color sets for the entire WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa conglomerate except for the following franchises:

• England Monarchs
  • Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks

That's it. All other teams are official now.

Here are the links to the separate league pages:

World League of American Football (1991-1992; 1995-1997)

NFL Europe (1998-2006)

NFL Europa (2007)

Just so you know - I AM working on a redesign of my database that will include combining league information into one record.

Even though I'm almost complete, I still have some assorted questions, and one of them has to do with the San Antonio Riders. We've discussed them many times in the past, but I am still confused about their colors. According to my source, they only used the following colors in their color scheme (at least in their logos and helmet design):

SanAntonioRiders_FRC_1992_SOL_SRGB.jpg

I had thought for years that their facemasks were supposed to be Orange; it turns out that this was just a bad color match to the Gold. The official helmet graphics apparently show the facemasks to be Gold. Here's an actual pic of a helmet:

wlaf-sa_riders.jpg

However, I'm still confused by the uniform trim. Was there Orange trim? Was it Red? I cannot find good pics to determine what was going on there.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I always thought the Riders had orange trim as well, and I assumed the facemask was orange. Pro Set cards though the Riders had orange too, as it's the color behind the helmet in their sets of cards:

eb25_1.JPG

c37c_1.JPG

The trim doesn't look to be that deep red secondary color.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here's what I've got. Hope it helps.

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks: PMS 201 Nevada Red, PMS 348 Kelly Green, Black

"London" Monarchs: PMS 201 Nevada Red, PMS 871 Vegas Gold Metallic, PMS 287 Royal

San Antonio Riders: PMS 440 Brown, PMS 871 Vegas Gold, PMS 1665 Burnt Orange, Flag on logo: PMS 300 Royal, PMS 200 Scarlet, White

Jerry: Who was the last President with a beard?

George: Nixon.

Jerry: No, I mean a real long Smith brothers type Beard?

George: Faulkmore.

Jerry: Who?

George: Artimus A. Faulkmore.

Jerry: Your making that up aren't you?

George: Yeah, but it sounds real doesn't it!?

Here's what I've got. Hope it helps.

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks: PMS 201 Nevada Red, PMS 348 Kelly Green, Black

"London" Monarchs: PMS 201 Nevada Red, PMS 871 Vegas Gold Metallic, PMS 287 Royal

San Antonio Riders: PMS 440 Brown, PMS 871 Vegas Gold, PMS 1665 Burnt Orange, Flag on logo: PMS 300 Royal, PMS 200 Scarlet, White

Thanks! I appreciate the help, although I've got a different Pantone for London's Red...

Still looking for England's colors (they were apprently different than London's)...

OK, so I'm risking looking like a fool here. Were you making those values up, or not? Because, most of the ones I can confirm were spot on.

^_^

The question I have is, now that you have the actual colors, how close were your estimates?

Very close in some cases, a little off in others. Par for the course.

I nailed the Fluorescent Lime Green for the Thunder, but didn't know that they had an alternate for their uniforms.

Now all I need is to find the only two American-based CFL teams I'm also missing - the Las Vegas Posse and the Memphis Mad Dogs.

Here we go... Mad Dogs: PMS 330 Green, Black, PMS 129 yellow, PMS 506 burgundy

Las Vegas Posse: Black, PMS 4635 Brown, PMS 465 Sand.

You owe me!

Apparently, I do.

Thanks!

Email me @ the SSUR, and we'll talk...

B)

Here we go... Mad Dogs: PMS 330 Green, Black, PMS 129 yellow, PMS 506 burgundy

Las Vegas Posse: Black, PMS 4635 Brown, PMS 465 Sand.

You owe me!

OK...I have a question about the Posse. I get it that the Brown 4635 was used in the logo...what about the outer helmet stripe? I was always under the assumption that there was a Red outer stripe...was it actually this Brown color?

Some screenshots from the 1992 season...

th_47498_snapshot20080723033454_122_366lo.jpg

Look at those facemasks...they really WERE supposed to match the Metallic Gold, believe it or not. They came out somewhere between Yellow and a Light Orange.

Thanks for the pics, BTW.

Some screenshots from the 1992 season...

th_47498_snapshot20080723033454_122_366lo.jpg

Look at those facemasks...they really WERE supposed to match the Metallic Gold, believe it or not. They came out somewhere between Yellow and a Light Orange.

Thanks for the pics, BTW.

They almost look like they were taken from the Washington Redskins' equipment room.

Made those screenshots from a highlight vid. Got that some years ago from a tor..., well, lets say it this way, from the web. :D

Regulary checking ebay for some WLAF stuff and from time to time there is a dude from north of the border who sells WL DVDs.

So if you are desperately looking for old WL footage that might be an option.

Archived