Vero Beach D-Rays Sold and Relocated

TBGKon

http://floridastate.league.milb.com/news/a...sp&sid=l123

Last week the Florida State League's Vero Beach Devil Rays were sold to the Ripken Group. The Ripken Group will partner with the Tampa Bay Rays to most likely relocate the team to Port Charlotte, FL, the new home of Rays spring training in 2009. As of right now nothing is out there as to what the nickname will be, but I was wondering if and when the time comes about, what do you think would work for them? There are also 3 possibilities as for location names as well:

- Port Charlotte (the city name)

- Charlotte (locale name of the former FSL team there, the Charlotte Rangers)

- Charlotte County (locale name of the independent South Coast League team there, the Charlotte County Redfish)

I'll be honest, I'm not really fond of going with the major-league affiliates name. I wish the FSL teams would all have original nicknames, and if they're hellbent on having something reflective of the big league club, so with something like what Lakeland did, by going from Tigers to Flying Tigers (to identify with the aviation history of the Lakeland area).

Port Charlotte Rays works for me... go with PC on the cap in the TB style (then sell 'em in Canada to Conservative Party supporters; or fans of Dave Nichol)

The only time the phrases "PC" and "Conservative" go together.

As for the PC Rays, one word. Gradient. You want to.

Port Charlotte Rays works for me... go with PC on the cap in the TB style (then sell 'em in Canada to Conservative Party supporters; or fans of Dave Nichol)

Actually, America's conservatives are the planet's worst PC offenders. Canada's conservatives, not so much -- these are after all the people who briefly named themselves the Conservative Reform Alliance Party. (Look for the acronym.)

But for the reasons named, I'm liking the PC name/cap initials for the team. As for the gradient, yes. About time they made my 1998 little league coaching Devil Rays gradient-logo cap relevant again. On the other hand, I'm with those who don't like farm teams using the parent club's name. Maybe the PC Rays should be the Rays, but in reference to the fish, not the sunshine. Which makes it a totally different name, right?

20082614447.png

Actually, America's conservatives are the planet's worst PC offenders. Canada's conservatives, not so much -- these are after all the people who briefly named themselves the Conservative Reform Alliance Party. (Look for the acronym.)

uhhh... In case anyone doesn't know, the party was known federally as the Progressive Conservatives. It's still called that in the provincial level.

I saw, I came, I left.

They should go in this direction

CC_Redfish.gif

its an team in an independent league

I like it, but not sure if it's available. Technically the South Coast League is suspended for the 2008 season, so there's a possibility that the Redfish identity could move to another city.

Also, with the Sarasota Reds in the league, I'm not sure if the league would approve of such a similar name.

They should go in this direction

CC_Redfish.gif

its an team in an independent league

Woo-hoo - the Redfish!

I actually helped match their Pantone colors to the Robison-Anton thread equivalents for their official files. Along with most of the rest of the South Coast League.

Yay me.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/ra...ticle784610.ece

In the Miscellany notation at the bottom, the St Pete Times gives info about the official move to Port Charlotte:

Miscellany: The Rays and Ripken Baseball will hold a news conference Wednesday in Port Charlotte to announce their new partnership. Cal Ripken and team president Matt Silverman will be on hand at 2:30 p.m. at Charlotte County Sports Park. The Rays will move their Class A Florida State League team from Vero Beach to Port Charlotte next season.

They should probably stick with the weather theme and go with PC Hurricanes, PC Vortex, PC Cyclones, PC Twisters, or PC Gales. They will probably stick with their parent clubs name PC Rays. Mistake.

They should probably stick with the weather theme and go with PC Hurricanes, PC Vortex, PC Cyclones, PC Twisters, or PC Gales. They will probably stick with their parent clubs name PC Rays. Mistake.

I'm going to take a guess and say since they're not owned by the Rays in full that the name will be an original one. I like your ideas but don't think they'll all fly for these reasons:

- They're kinda close to the University of Miami Hurricanes.

- There is already a Cyclones (Brooklyn, NY)

Vortex, Twisters, and Gales may work, but here are some ideas I've had as well:

- Riptide

- Pelicans

- Ospreys (see Osprey)

- Skimmers (see Black Skimmer)

- Loggerheads (see Loggerhead Sea Turtle)

I'm going to take a guess and say since they're not owned by the Rays in full that the name will be an original one. I like your ideas but don't think they'll all fly for these reasons:

- They're kinda close to the University of Miami Hurricanes.

- There is already a Cyclones (Brooklyn, NY)

Vortex, Twisters, and Gales may work, but here are some ideas I've had as well:

- Riptide

- Pelicans

- Ospreys (see Osprey)

- Skimmers (see Black Skimmer)

- Loggerheads (see Loggerhead Sea Turtle)

There is already a team named the Ospreys (Missoula, MT of the Pioneer League).

As for the PC Rays, one word. Gradient. You want to gouge your eyes out.

fyp

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived