Columbus Catfish now Bowling Green Hot Rods

BallWonk

This didn't come up in a search of the boards, but apologies if it's already been covered and I missed it. A colleague from Columbus, Georgia, pointed out to me that the Columbus Catfish, reigning champs of the single-A Sally League, were sold in April and will be moving to Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 2009.

The new owners are, of course, holding a Name the Team contest.

I'm suggesting Weavers, Corvettes, and Steamers. But frankly, I hope they keep the Catfish name and logos. Kentucky's state government claims that there are channel catfish in the Barren River, and the Columbus Catfish have some of the best logos and uniforms in the minors.

20082614447.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowling Green Catfish...hm, that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. still workable, though they'd have to ditch the peach on the hook.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Columbus loses another team. I knew it was coming. Great uniforms and logos, but you never saw them outside the gates of Golden Park. Isn't it the marketing department's job to market the team? No wonder they only had 200-500 fans per game. The Catfish should have followed the Montgomery Biscuits (Rays' AA affiliate) business model and marketed the living hell out of that Fish. Oh well...

BTW, no more quick 90 min. drive for Rays' prospects to get from A to AA (Columbus, GA to Montgomery, AL).

BTW, no more quick 90 min. drive for Rays' prospects to get from A to AA (Columbus, GA to Montgomery, AL).

Not really, theres a step in between with the Hi A team in the Florida State League, players would typically go from Columbus to Vero then on to Montgomery.

what about Mammoth

Named after Near by Mammoth Cave

anyone? ima send it in...im doin it

I like the name Mammoths, it has local flair as well as fits within the scope of a minor-league name.

i sent it in, i had to lie

it wouldnt let me choose florida for the state, so i put, i dont live in, Kentucky

it wouldnt let me choose florida for the state, so i put, i dont live in, Kentucky

First off, Mammoths is a great suggestion. It's going to be tough naming this team, since they start with one of the best team identities in American sports, and they're in a city that already has the awesomely named Hilltoppers to compete with.

I had to lie, too, though I just entered my actual address with the wrong state. I don't really want to win the contest, I just want to put a couple of name ideas on their list.

20082614447.png

I had to lie, too, though I just entered my actual address with the wrong state. I don't really want to win the contest, I just want to put a couple of name ideas on their list.

yeah me too, and i think the Mammoth could actually have a chance.

It would be cool wearing shirts, and hats, with a team you named(500 dollars in merchandice for winner)

But what would i do with season tickets for a team 10 hours away from where i live :blink:

The Bowling Green Corvettes for the Corvette plant and museum there. I think it is what they are best known for.

I really like the Corvette idea too, but I was trying to think of a way to go with the car theme without being called the Corvettes or Vettes.

Archived