EPL

JRH1991

For a long time, English soccer/football has held my interest due to the devotion of the fans and the worldwide popularity (I guess this can be said for most other European football leagues too but for now I'm focusing on England.) Like anyone interested in any sports league I would like to become a supporter. The only team that I flat out refuse to support is Manchester United. So now I am asking the members of this forum for advice, which team and why?

Oakland Raiders: 0-0-0 (09/08 vs. Denver)

New York Rangers: 0-0-0, 0 PTS (11/01 @ Toronto)

Chicago Bulls: 0-0 (10/28 vs. Milwaukee)

New York Mets: 78-61 (09/05 vs. Philadelphia)

Newcastle United: 1-1-1, 4 PTS (09/13 vs. Hull City)

Join the Toon Army, no trophies to show for it but well get are's soon enough

From Wikipedia:

"Former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair is known to be a keen supporter of Newcastle, as well as Sir Frank Williams, founder and manager of the WilliamsF1 Formula One Team, Also Auf Wiedersehen Pet Star Jimmy Nail is a big Newcastle supporter, Iron Maiden guitarist Janick Gers and AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson."

If this is true, then they are definitely in the lead so far.

Join the Toon Army, no trophies to show for it but well get are's soon enough

From Wikipedia:

"Former Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair is known to be a keen supporter of Newcastle, as well as Sir Frank Williams, founder and manager of the WilliamsF1 Formula One Team, Also Auf Wiedersehen Pet Star Jimmy Nail is a big Newcastle supporter, Iron Maiden guitarist Janick Gers and AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson."

If this is true, then they are definitely in the lead so far.

Yeah and we have some sweet Kits and the squad has the talent to get it done

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

You don't choose your club. Your club chooses you.

Unless you're a big four bandwagoner or something.

And don't forget that there are teams much closer to home (presuming you're in North America), and not just in MLS. The level may not be as high, but I'm a big believer in supporting your local team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well, since you're on a sports logos board, is it bad to tell you to look at which team has the best kits (uniforms) or crest (logo)?

Really, just watch teams play, you'll grow to like certain teams. Of course I'm going to suggest Arsenal since they're my club. If you like a team passes it beautifully, give and gos every which way, and really builds up passing in order to score, go with the Gunners. Hmm, how should I put this...it's kind of like the West Coast Offense (american football) of soccer. Quick passes and short gains that ultimately lead up to a great team goal. Of course they play the long ball as well into space as good as anyone. "Small ball" in a way.

EDIT: Instead of just trying to explain it really poorly, just watch this video. There's plenty of Arsenals beauty all around the youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3a_4V_6dg&eurl

play starts at 1:30

Even better video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdt8XzsxpgU...feature=related

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Honestly, I picked Arsenal since someone related them to being the Braves of the EPL (that, and they have van Persie.)

So yeah, I guess try to pick a team that appeals to you. But really, like Mockba said, your team chooses you.

And don't forget that there are teams much closer to home (presuming you're in North America), and not just in MLS. The level may not be as high, but I'm a big believer in supporting your local team.

Some of us were Arsenal supporters before there was a Big 4 ^_^

Some clubs to consider watching:

Everton

Sunderland

Portsmouth

Fulham

Middlesborough

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Thanks everybody. I know a lot of you say that your club finds you, so maybe I rushed this choice but I think I'm going to go with Newcastle. If another club finds me...well, I'll cross that bridge as I come to it.

Thanks everybody. I know a lot of you say that your club finds you, so maybe I rushed this choice but I think I'm going to go with Newcastle. If another club finds me...well, I'll cross that bridge as I come to it.

Sweet we have Arsenal this week i think we can run with them it will be a really good match

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

And speaking of crossing bridges, now that I see you're in New York (and I presume you mean city, or somewhere near), go out to Giants Stadium and see the Red Bulls. Yeah, it's not a good stadium for soccer (though they have a new one coming next year, providing it's done on time), and it's not the top level of soccer in the world, but it's a team that you can go see in person without having to cross an ocean.

POTD 2013-08-22

And speaking of crossing bridges, now that I see you're in New York (and I presume you mean city, or somewhere near), go out to Giants Stadium and see the Red Bulls. Yeah, it's not a good stadium for soccer (though they have a new one coming next year, providing it's done on time), and it's not the top level of soccer in the world, but it's a team that you can go see in person without having to cross an ocean.

Not the city, but pretty damn close. And yeah, I was thinking about it, but I kind of wanted to wait for the new stadium to open up... or until David Beckham shows up so I can make fun of his overrated ass.

Amen to this. Don't overthink it. Watch a games on TV. Go see some local teams. You'll find a team with a style of play or a specific player you enjoy watching.

But if you go with Newcastle, that's not a bad choice. The Toon Army is rabid.

There's several ways team appealed to me when I first started to discover English Football.

"Arsenal" just sounded like a very cool and rather intimidating name without know anything about them and then I got a chance to see them in person at home, and sort of imprinted myself on them like a baby bird does when it's young!

"Tottenham Hotspur" stood out as another name that was just so different to the names I was used to. They also wear white shirts, which made them look like "the good guys". "White Hart Lane" also had a nice ring to it.

Coventry was a decent, hardworking team when I started watching the highlights on TV, as was Norwich.

"Aston Villa" was also a cool sounding name. Then I learned later that they were "The Vandals". Extra cool.

I always dug the name "Crystal Palace" and loved their unis as well. Especially when they had "Fly Virgin" on them. That seemed cheeky, plus one of the very few teams sponsored by a British company when I first went there.

One of my favorite players was Matthew Le Tissier, so Southampton got points for having him, but the rest of the squad never caught my fancy beyond him. Rather like Ernie Banks or something. A really good player trapped in an average to poor team forever.

I also loved the way Alan Shearer played, so Blackburn and later Newcastle got points for him, plus Newcastle has a great kit and sounds just so damn English too.

Speaking of cool names, Wolverhampton has to be at the top of the list. Always trying to crack the top flight, I love racing so their old Goodyear sponsorship appealed to me and any guy named "Steve Bull" has got to be cheered for. You might as well pencil them in for 6th or 7th place every year in whatever Division Two is called these days.

West Ham became a favorite since they were at home when I first went to England and watched a couple of my first matches there in person.

Manchester City gets my support just for existing in the shadow of Manchester United.

I learned to like Fulham later on. Black, White and Red are my colors, plus the American connection with McBride as well as a stadium called "Craven Cottage", which is simply brilliant.

One must always have a soft spot for Hartlepool and their mascot, Hangus the Monkey, who was once elected Mayor of Hartlepool for real.

Yea, I'm starting to sound like I cheer for everyone, but there's also teams I don't like for reasons as shallow and mindless as those I do like.

"Charlton". Bleah. Crap name of all time. Sheffield Wednesday sounded dumb and their bird logo was the pits. If you like Newcastle, you pretty much have to dislike Middlesborough. Millwall had a horrid reputation for hooligans, so they were out. Leeds wore all white, which was never going to cut it with me. Wilmbledon of course sounded more like they should have been tennis players.

Other big name clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool I respect, but it's just hard to cheer for teams that have that "New York Yankees" vibe to them.

So, like others have said, you really have to sit back and take it all in and see what clicks with you. Players, colors, names. Something makes a connection with you and there you are.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Coventry was a decent, hardworking team when I started watching the highlights on TV, as was Norwich.

"Aston Villa" was also a cool sounding name. Then I learned later that they were "The Vandals". Extra cool.

"Villians," actually.

I definitely was attracted to Norwich's passing style of play when they were in the Prem. Obviously, it wasn't the most effective, but it was attractive. I didn't actively choose them, I just realized that I was cheering them on when they scored against ManUre, and gave in.

Of course, I then had to go see them in person:

103051209_36a0e15447.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

Other big name clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool I respect, but it's just hard to cheer for teams that have that "New York Yankees" vibe to them.

So, like others have said, you really have to sit back and take it all in and see what clicks with you. Players, colors, names. Something makes a connection with you and there you are.

Man U - Yes. But after doing some research I found that Liverpool had more of a St. Louis Cardinals feel to them, they were successful more often that not, but not perfect.

"Villians," actually.

D'oh!. I knew that. My bad. Spell check doesn't kick back incorrect typing of correct thoughts I guess. ^_^

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived