Tucson Toros...

Blackjack76

Very Cool! I always thought that was a great name and logo also. I remember seeing them play in the PCL back in the late 70's and 80's against the Salt Lake Gulls.

Now if we can just revive the Albuquerque Dukes.....

You can always hope. There's a rumor that the Dodgers will be moving their AAA affiliation from Las Vegas back to Albuquerque.

I live in fear of "Tucson Toros Retro Night."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I live in fear of "Tucson Toros Retro Night."

holy christ, you aren't kidding...

EDIT: post 1600

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Very Cool! I always thought that was a great name and logo also. I remember seeing them play in the PCL back in the late 70's and 80's against the Salt Lake Gulls.

You can always hope. There's a rumor that the Dodgers will be moving their AAA affiliation from Las Vegas back to Albuquerque.

I hadn't heard about that concerning the Dodgers and Albuquerque. From what I understand tho, the organization there seems pretty happy with the whole "Isotopes" thing, marketing-wise. I have never thought that was all that great, but then again, I wouldn't be in favor of trading something that references a city's history for a team nickname inspired by a cartoon.....

Don't be surprised if this is a one to two year type team. The Diamondbacks are trying to get a team to come to Tucson and ditch the affiliate with the team now and possibly go with an affiliate with the new Tucson team when they come along

Don't be surprised if this is a one to two year type team. The Diamondbacks are trying to get a team to come to Tucson and ditch the affiliate with the team now and possibly go with an affiliate with the new Tucson team when they come along

So, the Sidewinders are moving then? If so, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to have a new "Tucson Toros" rejoin the PCL.

The Diamondbacks are trying to get a team to go to Tuscon to replace the AAA Tuscon Sidewinders franchise they have there currently? Did I miss something? Oh and having a low level independent team won't affect them at all as they are playing in a different stadium. The question I do have, is the GBL bringing in two teams next year or just the one? I know they have bizarre schedules, but a nine team league will really have a bizarre schedules.

The Diamondbacks are trying to get a team to go to Tuscon to replace the AAA Tuscon Sidewinders franchise they have there currently? Did I miss something? Oh and having a low level independent team won't affect them at all as they are playing in a different stadium. The question I do have, is the GBL bringing in two teams next year or just the one? I know they have bizarre schedules, but a nine team league will really have a bizarre schedules.

The Tucson Sidewinders are moving to Reno, Nevada to become Reno ________, the name hasn't been decided yet, but next year the Diamondbacks affiliate will be in Reno. Now in 2010 they will try to get a team to relocate to Tucson for that season.

The Tucson Sidewinders are moving to Reno, Nevada to become Reno ________, the name hasn't been decided yet, but next year the Diamondbacks affiliate will be in Reno. Now in 2010 they will try to get a team to relocate to Tucson for that season.

This may come as a shock to some here...but Tucson won't get another AAA team unless a new ballpark is built in a better part of town...and that seems highly unlikely.

Drilled down to the (somewhat) lowest common denominator, the PCL Tucson franchise and the GBL Reno franchise swapped locations.

Back to GBL expansion...what until 2010 when Bakersfield and High Desert's franchises move to the Carolina League...the GBL may gobble those markets up.

Cards.png

This may come as a shock to some here...but Tucson won't get another AAA team unless a new ballpark is built in a better part of town...and that seems highly unlikely.

Drilled down to the (somewhat) lowest common denominator, the PCL Tucson franchise and the GBL Reno franchise swapped locations.

Back to GBL expansion...what until 2010 when Bakersfield and High Desert's franchises move to the Carolina League...the GBL may gobble those markets up.

The park is great. It is fans that are not showing up.

I hadn't heard about that concerning the Dodgers and Albuquerque. From what I understand tho, the organization there seems pretty happy with the whole "Isotopes" thing, marketing-wise. I have never thought that was all that great, but then again, I wouldn't be in favor of trading something that references a city's history for a team nickname inspired by a cartoon.....

I don't think the Isotopes name is going away anytime soon, but the idea that the Dodgers will return to Albuquerque is very real. The Dodgers are not happy with the state of the stadium in Las Vegas. Unless the Dodgers and LV can come to a deal, the Marlins or Nationals will be in Las Vegas next season.

The Park is only 10 years old(Tucson Electric Park) and has been regarded as one of the best parks in AAA Baseball, that is not the problem, the problem was the people of Reno gave too much money to the owner of the Sidewinders to move them to Reno. Now the former owner has said he'd be willing to buy another franchise(Toros) to give the people of Tucson some kind of baseball until the city of Tucson has another franchise. the Diamondbacks are working to get a new team in Tucson, so I don't think there will be much of a wait for AAA baseball to come to Tucson

Finally glad to see the return of the Toros...they should have never switched their name and uni colors to match that of the Dbacks. As far as I'm concerned, they can move to Reno as long as the Toros image stays in Tucson. I grew up 2 blocks from Hi Corbett and attended numerous games growing up. I never liked games at TEP...never had the same atmosphere as HC. To me the Toros signify tradition and I'm glad to see it return...great history, great unis, great mascot (can't forget Tuffy the Toro).

Hopefully this isn't a limited deal...I'd like to see the Toros stick around for a long time...I might actually visit home to see some games if so.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

My gut is, if the Dodger return to Albuquerque, the Dukes return. If the Isotope name was so loved, then why is there Dukes merchandise being sold? Don't believe me? http://www.nmlook.com/dukes/ I'm taking a guess that the people in Albuquerque would ditch the Isotope name in a heartbeat for the return of the Dukes. Send the Isotopes back where they belong, Springfield!

The Park is only 10 years old(Tucson Electric Park) and has been regarded as one of the best parks in AAA Baseball, that is not the problem, the problem was the people of Reno gave too much money to the owner of the Sidewinders to move them to Reno. Now the former owner has said he'd be willing to buy another franchise(Toros) to give the people of Tucson some kind of baseball until the city of Tucson has another franchise. the Diamondbacks are working to get a new team in Tucson, so I don't think there will be much of a wait for AAA baseball to come to Tucson

Gary,

No disagreement that TEP is an absolute gem of a ballpark. For a minor league park, you can't do much better. If I recall correctly, wasn't the complaint of many Tucsonians over the crappy location of the park? I know Hi Corbett was a dump, but it got rave reviews because it was centrally located, wheras TEP is almost on the outskirts of town and tough to reach by way of public transportation?

Also, with the layout of the park, it leaves little in terms of shade, which plays a huge factor in June, July and August when it gets miserably hot.

As for the Toros, I know many folks in Tucson will be more than happy to hear this news. I know there were a lot of people who never quite adopted the Sidewinder name.

Lastly, are the Diamondbacks sticking with Reno for sure? If the Dodgers DO wind up switching back to the Alberquerque affiliation, it would almost seem like a natural fit for the Diamondbacks to switch to Vegas and try to capitalize on the Northern Arizona/Southern Nevada fanbase. Reno seems a good fit for Oakland.

Texas.gif

My gut is, if the Dodger return to Albuquerque, the Dukes return. If the Isotope name was so loved, then why is there Dukes merchandise being sold? Don't believe me? http://www.nmlook.com/dukes/ I'm taking a guess that the people in Albuquerque would ditch the Isotope name in a heartbeat for the return of the Dukes. Send the Isotopes back where they belong, Springfield!

The Visalia Oaks still sell Mudville Nine merchandise. Doesn't mean that they're ready to switch back just yet.

The Visalia Oaks still sell Mudville Nine merchandise. Doesn't mean that they're ready to switch back just yet.

Visalia was never Mudville Nine. Stockton was. Visalia and Bako tend to sell some old school merch. The problem with bakersfield is state of sam lynn ballpark.

Its a dump and they have to start games between 730-800, because the sun sets in the batters eye. High Desert/ Adelanto is a crap of a ballpark too...

It was built in the early 90s, but the city doesnt take too good care of it...

Archived