MLB 2009

mania

It was mentioned in two other threads plus its own, so I'm guessing it's safe to post here again, but the Cubs road cap will not be worn next year.

The latest confirmation I heard was at a Sports Authority the day before the Cubs clinched. They were moving all of the Cubs stuff up front and a customer complained that they didn't have enough of the road caps. (I saw two or three in similar sizes.) The manager told him, "That's because they aren't wearing them anymore."

So, more confirmation of stuff we already know, but since it's a new thread... and let me just say it drives me nuts when I miss out on these leaks. :)

Also, the navy invasion at the Cubs team store continues. They added their lightweight coat in that shade of blue to the heavier one mentioned in that Cubs-centric thread I linked to above. I know most people have said there's no way they'd go navy for any uni, but... I'm sticking with my conspiracy theory. Someone is ordering up all this navy stuff.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the Yankees were mentioned as having a uniform unveiling date - does anyone know what this will entail? Is it just the inaugural season patch (as I'm hoping for), or are we looking at an alternate or road jersey change? I can't imagine the Yanks in an alternate, but they may use the new Stadium as an excuse for a change. Perhaps, and I hope not, names-on-back of the road unis?

Could be throwbacks similar to the ones worn by some legends at the last game ceremonies - I wouldn't be happy, but I could live with it. Any info on this, or am I just overreacting to what's likely a patch introduction? (IIRC, there was no unveiling for the 2008 uniforms.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I know the Yankees were mentioned as having a uniform unveiling date - does anyone know what this will entail? Is it just the inaugural season patch (as I'm hoping for), or are we looking at an alternate or road jersey change? I can't imagine the Yanks in an alternate, but they may use the new Stadium as an excuse for a change. Perhaps, and I hope not, names-on-back of the road unis?

Could be throwbacks similar to the ones worn by some legends at the last game ceremonies - I wouldn't be happy, but I could live with it. Any info on this, or am I just overreacting to what's likely a patch introduction? (IIRC, there was no unveiling for the 2008 uniforms.)

i dont see the yanks doing an alternate.

the only change i see for the yanks is an inaugural season patch for the new yankee stadium, on the left sleeve.

And this is from statements Stan Kasten has made to the press, so it shouldn't trigger any board shutdown, but the word is that the Nats are likely to dump the DC from their alt jerseys in favor of the curly W on November 5. No word on whether the DC is coming off the cap, too.
Notice how Nov. 5 is the day after election day, the day after they choose who's replacing "W" in the White House.

(Many Democrats in the city -- which is 90% Democrat -- wouldn't wear the home cap because of it being red with a W on it.)

I hope they don't get rid of the DC altogether -- it looks good on the patch on the sleeve if nothing else. But I've envisioned the next uniform look being a blue-based vest with the Curly W on the chest. Could work as either a home alt (white) or road (grey).

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Ugh. Church and State should never mix - same goes with sports and politics. IMO it sucks that even colors have become politicized, kind of like gang colors. Maybe the Washington team should go with navy / gold, or black / gold, or something else that doesn't have red and blue. Heck - the Caps tried it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ugh. Church and State should never mix - same goes with sports and politics. IMO it sucks that even colors have become politicized, kind of like gang colors. Maybe the Washington team should go with navy / gold, or black / gold, or something else that doesn't have red and blue. Heck - the Caps tried it.

I'm guilty as charged as one of those who will not wear the "W" hat until President Obama throws out the first pitch, but no one wears the red or blue cap based on political affiliation. This scenario is often dreamed up by those outside the area, but it just isn't true. One of the great features of having baseball back in Washington is that the stadium is the one place in the area where no one discusses politics, and no one cares which party you support. That's a rarity in a town where TVs in bars are often turned to CNN or C-SPAN.

And this is from statements Stan Kasten has made to the press, so it shouldn't trigger any board shutdown, but the word is that the Nats are likely to dump the DC from their alt jerseys in favor of the curly W on November 5. No word on whether the DC is coming off the cap, too.
Notice how Nov. 5 is the day after election day, the day after they choose who's replacing "W" in the White House.

(Many Democrats in the city -- which is 90% Democrat -- wouldn't wear the home cap because of it being red with a W on it.)

I hope they don't get rid of the DC altogether -- it looks good on the patch on the sleeve if nothing else. But I've envisioned the next uniform look being a blue-based vest with the Curly W on the chest. Could work as either a home alt (white) or road (grey).

I don't know about "many." I knew a few Dems who refused to wear the red W cap when the team first came to town, but partisan feelings were pretty raw in spring of 2005; Dubya had just been sworn in for a second term. (Some also refused to wear the red DC cap, on account of it being Dick Cheney's initials.) Politics in DC is kind of like sports; imagine if your hometown baseball team wore the colors and symbol of your hometown's most-hated football rival. That's kind of like what the red W cap was to some folks here in '05.

True story: Right before the 2006 elections, Jim Webb had a rally in Alexandria with a bunch of Democratic bigwigs, including Bill Clinton. I went to the rally wearing a blue Nats cap. Twice people turned to me and scolded me for wearing a "W" cap. "But 'Webb' starts with a 'W'!" I said. How silly.

Anyway, the point is that I really haven't encountered any such opposition to the curly W since then. At opening day this spring, the row behind me was filled with young Democrats from either a congressional office or a lobbying shop, and they booed President mercilessly when he threw out the first pitch. Yet almost all of them were wearing red W caps.

Personally, I've been pushing since the Nats came to town to make a tradition of adjusting their color scheme to match the most recent presidential election. So if Obama succeeds Bush, then the Nats would make blue the home color, red the road color. If McCain wins, then the Nats would stay as-is. It'd be one of those little traditions that locals would understand but the rest of the baseball world would hardly notice, which are important for a new team to develop to build fan investment in the team.

20082614447.png

I don't know about "many." I knew a few Dems who refused to wear the red W cap when the team first came to town, but partisan feelings were pretty raw in spring of 2005; Dubya had just been sworn in for a second term. (Some also refused to wear the red DC cap, on account of it being Dick Cheney's initials.) Politics in DC is kind of like sports; imagine if your hometown baseball team wore the colors and symbol of your hometown's most-hated football rival. That's kind of like what the red W cap was to some folks here in '05.

True story: Right before the 2006 elections, Jim Webb had a rally in Alexandria with a bunch of Democratic bigwigs, including Bill Clinton. I went to the rally wearing a blue Nats cap. Twice people turned to me and scolded me for wearing a "W" cap. "But 'Webb' starts with a 'W'!" I said. How silly.

Anyway, the point is that I really haven't encountered any such opposition to the curly W since then. At opening day this spring, the row behind me was filled with young Democrats from either a congressional office or a lobbying shop, and they booed President mercilessly when he threw out the first pitch. Yet almost all of them were wearing red W caps.

Personally, I've been pushing since the Nats came to town to make a tradition of adjusting their color scheme to match the most recent presidential election. So if Obama succeeds Bush, then the Nats would make blue the home color, red the road color. If McCain wins, then the Nats would stay as-is. It'd be one of those little traditions that locals would understand but the rest of the baseball world would hardly notice, which are important for a new team to develop to build fan investment in the team.

But then you're 100% linking the hat to a political party, and alienating roughly 50% of your fan base for at least four years at a time. If I was a Nats fan, I'd have no problem wearing any cap now. But if the team says that the red cap is in honor of a republican president, then now I can't wear it, and I know that everyone in a red cap supports republicans. I have no problem with anyone who supports another political party, as long as politics doesn't come up in conversation. But now you're saying that just wearing the cap is bringing politics into the conversation - so it's always there.

They should have gone with those Washington (Independent) Baseball caps that Prologo/P.I.L.L. designed - then we wouldn't even be having this conversation (we'd be having a much more fun one!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

But then you're 100% linking the hat to a political party, and alienating roughly 50% of your fan base for at least four years at a time. If I was a Nats fan, I'd have no problem wearing any cap now. But if the team says that the red cap is in honor of a republican president, then now I can't wear it, and I know that everyone in a red cap supports republicans. I have no problem with anyone who supports another political party, as long as politics doesn't come up in conversation. But now you're saying that just wearing the cap is bringing politics into the conversation - so it's always there.

But the "Dubya Hat" thing was about the fact that Bush's supporters use the initial "W" to stand for the man, not about the colors. (It was also about the novelty of the new team.) Anyway, you mistake "paying subtle respect to the current president" with "linking the hat to a political party."

I mean, when I cheered President Bush on opening day at Nationals Park, I was cheering the office, not the man, and I think most people are adult enough to understand the difference. Honoring the office is not the same as endorsing the man who holds it. At least in Washington, most people are mature enough to understand the difference between the ceremonies of government and the tribalism of politics.

20082614447.png

That runs counter to every indication that the Lerners (foolishly) love red and the Curly W: it's all over Nationals Park, down to the wrought-iron gates.

As well as the pretzels.

The only change I can think of for the Nationals is adding a white hat. No information, but I've got a hunch.

Like this? Or maybe it would look better with red brim.. if they are ditching navy.

WN.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

But the "Dubya Hat" thing was about the fact that Bush's supporters use the initial "W" to stand for the man, not about the colors. (It was also about the novelty of the new team.) Anyway, you mistake "paying subtle respect to the current president" with "linking the hat to a political party."

I mean, when I cheered President Bush on opening day at Nationals Park, I was cheering the office, not the man, and I think most people are adult enough to understand the difference. Honoring the office is not the same as endorsing the man who holds it. At least in Washington, most people are mature enough to understand the difference between the ceremonies of government and the tribalism of politics.

Yeah, but when you determine the color of the hat for a baseball team by the party of the current President, that is linking the team to a particular president. And whether you can look past it or not and determine it's just a uniform quirk they do and not siding with a particular party, the majority of people are gonna see the changes coincide with the change in the office, and some are gonna be too far to their own political sides that they won't want to be associated with the teams gear if it's meant to show the current office holder when it's not the guy they wanted. I made this sound more confusing than was meant to be. Anyway, I'm a Republican, which would equal red. But I believe the Nats would look better wearing navy at home and the road. But if they were to change to blue based solely on the fact that a Democrat was elected President, I'm gonna be a little turned away from wearing the current gear, even if it was what I wanted, because I don't want someone I didn't want to be President to determine what color the team is wearing.

(I know being a Cardinals fan, I'm giving a really outsiders perspective here, but I think you get what I mean.)

But in the scenario you're proposing, the Nationals would not simply be honoring the office, not even the President himself, but the President's party. Like it or not, but the colors have been politicized.

It sounds like fun, but I still have trouble visualizing this ending well.

OMG.. does that mean as A GOP, I must pull for the Cincinnati REDS? And, if that's so, I must hate the St. Louis BLUES? If I'm moderate, should I refer to the Minnesota Vikings as the PURPLE People Eaters once again?

Oh... the turmoil...!

Good. I know I'm in the minority but that blocky DC logo is awful. The Curly W may look like Walgreens but it atleast looks like it belongs on a baseball uniform. The Brewers were smart enough to dump their blocky wordmarks over 10 years ago. I can't understand why the Nationals felt the need to bring that trend back.

elbirdosjerseys-1-1.jpg

Archived