Colorado Springs Sky Sox Unveil New Logo

TruColor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even after reading the article my mind still says: WTF is a 'Sky Sox'?

I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources but this is what they had about the name.

Originally, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox were a Class A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox in the Western League from 1950?1958, when the league folded. The Sky Sox's nickname originated with their affiliation with the White Sox.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Would sky sox be anything like a wind sock?

The logo looks like an old man with bushy eyebrows. And a 'hip' blue faux-hawk. "Hey, kids, I'm cool. I get 'it'. Now where can we pick up some crunk chicks? Crunk means groovy, right?"

I don't mind Pikes Peak or the name really. The main problem to me is that "those" do not come across as eyes. You really have to figure the logo out. They could have used clouds to form a sock.. or something! Or a cloud pattern in front of Pike's Peak with negative space forming a sock silhouette. Eyes that dod not look like eyes does not work!

...ehhh... what do we know?

wow - i think this is the first dan simon project that i think has missed the mark for me. The eyes and clouds are too cartoonish, even for MiLB. Would've been better if there were just a ring of clouds with a baseball flying through them.

my sentiments EXACTLY...the eyes just aren't necessary - this is a C- logo, at best...

jldesigns404eo.png

There's definitely been better Dan Simon works out there. But, this is a really weird name for him to work with in the first place.

Exactly. With nothing to base this design on I think this isn't bad. The way clubs seem to be leaning is to lure in the kids and then make the money from their parents. This isn't a bad design at all IMO. It doesn't provide the club with any discernible mascot, and you may never figure out what a Sky Sock(x) is from the logos, but the primary isn't altogether horrible.

The old logo and colors were bad.

The new logo is a head scratcher.

At least they got the colors right.

How hard would it be to make a white or light blue sock with a wing on it?

Like the 50s Chicago White Sox logo.

This idea is where a lot of us probably would have gone, and it might have worked better all around for the team, but maybe Simon tried that and the team didn't like it. Thats always possibly, even probably what happened to a logo that doesn't seem to fit right.

Thanks for the history lesson rox. Even after reading the Wikipedia article a little further, I saw that they are now the only Triple A team of the Rockies. Why not do a complete rebrand as the logo screams something more than "Sky Sox", how bout "Altitude"?

Archived