What Your Favorite Team Might Have Been Called?

Saint Zephyr III

8. Orlando Magic - The other candidates were the Heat, the Tropics, and god help me, the Juice.

The Miami Heat predate the Magic by one season. Does this mean that the franchise was in the process of being named before the Miami franchise announced its identity?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Philadelphia Flyers:

Quakers, Ramblers, Liberty Bells, Lancers, Raiders, Knights, Sabres, Huskies, Blizzards, Bashers, Bruisers and Keystones.

http://www.flyershistory.net/cgi-bin/jerseyhistory.cgi

I can see why people would have written in Liberty Bells. The Flyer on the flier ( :blink: ) has the Liberty Bell on his jersey.

http://www.flyershistory.net/cgi-bin/jerse...ypics.cgi?pic=1

I wonder if they put that on there to push people to write in Liberty Bells?

Wasn't there a Vancouver Mounties logo?

From the all knowing all seeing Wiki:

The Grizzlies were originally supposed to be named the Vancouver Mounties, but were forced to find a new name due to objections from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I heard the Mounties were chosen as the name for the team but some marketing research noob said that merch may not sell well to the youngens. Something along the lines of 'no kid would buy a jersey with a policeman on it".

Apparently there was no such thing as marketing research in the '50's and '60's:

http://www.ebbets.com/Authentic_19575_Details.aspx

I know there was a ruff logo made for the Mounties but I can't find it.

8. Orlando Magic - The other candidates were the Heat, the Tropics, and god help me, the Juice.

The Miami Heat predate the Magic by one season. Does this mean that the franchise was in the process of being named before the Miami franchise announced its identity?

I think yes and no. The NBA probably has a lot to say in team names. Take the name Dragons for instance, it seems like they tried to pawn that off to New Jersey, Washington, Toronto, and Charlotte.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I think yes and no. The NBA probably has a lot to say in team names. Take the name Dragons for instance, it seems like they tried to pawn that off to New Jersey, Washington, Toronto, and Charlotte.

Remember, all four of those expansion teams (Charlotte, Miami, Orlando and Minnesota) were announced at the same time. Even though they staggered their inaugural seasons apart by a year, all of the teams were basically working on their identities at the same time.

1. Toronto Raptors - Though obviously a name of its time (just two years after Jurassic Park), it looks like it was the best choices. The other considered names were Tarantulas, Beavers, Bobcats, Dragons, Grizzlies, Hogs, Scorpions, T-Rex, and Terriers. Terriers???

"Terriers" is a great name. What, you think an "Islander" or a "Senator" or a "Canadien" is intimidating?

3. Baltimore Ravens - The other two finalist names were the Americans and the Marauders. I still think the Ravens is one of the more inspired sports team-names out there.

Agreed. Great name.

4. New York Jets - In 1963, when they decided to change the name from the Titans, Sonny Heilben and Leon Hess first considered the Dodgers, but the MLB didn't like that. They then wanted to call them the "Gothams" (AWESOME name) but feared that people would shorten it to Goths.

And a football team sharing a name with the most infamous barbarians of all time is bad exactly how? Shoulda been the Goths.

5. Washington Wizards - In 1995, the organization wanted to changed the Bullets to something not associated with gang violence. The finalists were the Wizards, Stallions, Express, Dragon, and Sea Dogs.

As a Washingtonian, I am grateful to you for sharing this list. Because awful as the Wizards are, it could have been so much worse.

7. Florida Marlins - Marlins owner Huigenzia actually told the New York Times that he considered calling the team the Florida Flamingos!

That would have been awesome. Red instead of pink, I assume, but either way, it would have rocked.

10. Minnesota Wild - The NHL team was almost called the Blue Ox, the Freeze, the Voyageurs, the Northern Lights, or the White Bears.

I was in Minnesota at the time, and I recall Wild, Blue Ox, Voyageurs, and Polars being the finalists that were made known to the public. I still wish they'd gone with Voyageurs or Polars.

20082614447.png

No. If I remember correctly (and guys correct me if I'm wrong on this), the four franchises (Miami, Orlando, and two others who for some reason escape me right now) were all announced at the same time, with two beginning one season and two the next.

nav-logo.png

Back in the late 60s, when Phoenix was awarded their NBA franchise, they had a name the team contest. The contest winner was awarded season tickets for the inagural year and $1,000.

Among the names being considered:

Area Zoners

Arizoniacs

Arrowheads

Bambinos

Bandidos

Bartenders

Basketeers

Basketweavers

Battle Hounds

Big Horns

Box Cars

Broncbusters

Buckskins

Bushwackers

Cactossers

Cactus Cowboys

Cactus Giants

Camels

Camelback Cagers

Copper Kings

Copper Miners

Copper State Boys

Copper Tones

Copper Quickies

Coppers

Desert Cats

Desert Rats

Desert Stars

Destroyers

Dribblers

Dudes

Eager Beavers

Electrodes

Ferrets

Fireballs

Firebirds

Flamethrowers

Gila Monsters

Goal Diggers

Gold Nuggets

Gold Sabres

Grandes

Gransuns

Grasshoppers

Hardrocks

Heatwaves

Honchos

Hoopsters

Hot Shots

Jumping Beans

Jumping Jacks

Lariats

Merry Men

Moon Shooters

Muleskinners

Nitros

Nomads

Packrats

Peppers

Pilgrims

Poachers

Poobahs

Power Packers

Prickly Pears

Red Devils

Rimmers

Road Trotters

Rocks

Sand Cutters

Sand Hawks

Sky Hooks

Snowbirds

Solar Rays

Sports

Steers

Sun Angels

Sun Baskers

Sun Beams

Sun Blazers

Sun Clouds

Sun Darts

Sun Dogs

Sun Downers

Sun Gods

Sun Jets

Sun Lovers

Sun Pacers

Sun Shooters

Sun Valley Pride

Sunbursts

Sundials

Sunlanders

Sunspots

Superbs

Sweethearts

Tarantulas

Thorns

Thunderbelters

Tomahawks

Tumbleweeds

Upjumpers

Volcanos

War Cats

Whirlwinds

White Wing Doves

Wildlife

Woodpeckers

Yardbirds

http://www.nba.com/suns/history/00644119.html

No. If I remember correctly (and guys correct me if I'm wrong on this), the four franchises (Miami, Orlando, and two others who for some reason escape me right now) were all announced at the same time, with two beginning one season and two the next.

It was Charlotte and Miami in 1988, and Orlando and Minnesota in 1989.

Didn't I already say that?

:blink:

Though the hockey team in Denver never got the moniker "Rocky Mountain Xtreme," there was a relatively recent bizarro name: the Colorado Xplosion (American Basketball League).

Anyhoo, one of the funny rejected nicknames for the San Jose Sharks were the San Jose Yodeling Yams.

A few years ago in one of those dusty flea markets in the Northeast US, some vendor was selling leather baseball caps from an NFL licensee that closed up shop. He had a few of the prototype caps from the mid-90s expansion -- St. Louis Stallions and Baltimore Bombers. They both had the same typeface.

One rejected nickname for the Michigan Panthers of the USFL were the Detroit Rens (short for Renaissance).

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Carolina Panthers consider the name Jaguars, and the Jaguars the name Panthers?

Not sure about that, but the Panthers did consider "Cougars".

As for the Houston Texans, I think the final list was:

- Wildcatters

- Bobcats

- Apollos

- Texans

- Some name I forgot.

Vancouver --> Memphis (NBA). Owners wanted to call the team the Express, but that was nixed due to NBA by-laws as Federal Express was to be the team's primary supporter.

Oakland (AFL) - Here's a classic - were to be called the Seniors.

Minnesota (AFL) was to be called the Vikings.

Seattle (NFL) - The expansion group that didn't get the team had a nickname and logo. They were to be called the Kings. Hugh McEllheny (the "King") was part of the management group and isn't Seattle called the King City?

San Antonio (WLAF) was to be called the Pioneers, Trailriders, Trailblazers, Lone Star Riders which was finally shortened to Riders

Sacramento (WLAF) was to be called the Pioneers

Memphis Southmen, WFL were called the Grizzlies and that was to be the team name if it joined the NFL.

Archived