Hidden meanings in logos

nyiles39

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browsing on the Helmet Project site, immediately noticed this one I'd never seen before - Missouri Western State:

MissouriWesternState-Color.jpg

Clever and clearly recognizable. Love it.

This is seriously excellent.

I reeeeaaallly want to love this, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Could someone point this out to me?

25yzwqg.png

It's drawn in the shape of Missouri:

Griffin.png

And someone said that the griffin facing west could mean something seeing as St. Louis, MO is considered to be "The Gateway to the West".

I really like this too. It's one of the most creative logos I've ever seen.

Griffin.png

And someone said that the griffin facing west could mean something seeing as St. Louis, MO is considered to be "The Gateway to the West".

"most creative logos I've ever seen"

I really don't think so. The shape of the state really isn't that obvious. Even when you look for it, you really have to look for it. I've seen a million other logos with hidden meanings that are better than this one.

Griffin.png

"most creative logos I've ever seen"

I really don't think so. The shape of the state really isn't that obvious. Even when you look for it, you really have to look for it. I've seen a million other logos with hidden meanings that are better than this one.

Really? I found it easy to spot (not easy to figure out though... that's why it is called a hidden meaning). I think this is really clever and having it face westward is a subtle but perfect touch as well. The Griffon itself looks kinda shabby but the idea behind the logo is brilliant.

Powersurge, you've got to be kidding. I will agree with Akronite that the logo isn't the greatest quality, but in terms of the general idea and executing it nearly perfectly, this is one of the greatest "hidden meaning" logos I've ever seen. Yes, the shape of the state is obvious and no, you do not have to look for it. So as long as you know what the shape of Missouri looks like (a very unique shape I might add) then you should be able to see a great logo.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The shape of the state really isn't that obvious.

That couldn't be more obviously Missouri if it had some drippy apologist stationed on its eastern border.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ohhh... When someone said "I think it's in the shape of the State of Missouri", then posted an image of the state, I thought they were jokingly posting that image as a logo. I didn't see it at all.

This isn't a logo thing, but it's a team color discovery. Somewhere in my internet travels, I discovered that one of the three men who bought the New York Titans as they became the New York Jets, who went on to later become sole owner of the team was Leon Hess, founder of the Hess corporation. I don't know if he was instrumental in the color change, but if he wasn't, this is an incredible coincidence:

v7tehkwthrwefgounvi7znf5k.gif075_hess.jpg

The Jets did greatly darken their green in their latest iteration, but I think you get the point.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Powersurge, you've got to be kidding. I will agree with Akronite that the logo isn't the greatest quality, but in terms of the general idea and executing it nearly perfectly, this is one of the greatest "hidden meaning" logos I've ever seen. Yes, the shape of the state is obvious and no, you do not have to look for it. So as long as you know what the shape of Missouri looks like (a very unique shape I might add) then you should be able to see a great logo.

No I'm NOT kidding and in my opinion it is not perfect, but thats just me. Its also not the best hidden meaning logos I've ever seen. That may be your opinion but there are easily at least 20 or more "hidden meaning" logos that I have seen in the last 5 years that trump this one. The quality has nothing to do with it. I can easily see past that. I just don't think its that great to be honest. Great, its supposed to mimic the shape of Missouri....I got it. I know what the shape of Missouri looks like, I did take US Geography. Its just not that great of a logo IMHO. Its a terrible looking griffin and an "decent" representation of Missouri. Some people are making it seem like the greatest logo ever created and its far from it.

Here's a question for you....Do you really think THIS logo is better than the FedEx logo? The Hartford Whalers logo? Even the new 2016 Rio Olympic logo trumps this one IMO; That has hidden meanings too. This logo is not even in the same class as any of those. Seriously? GREATEST EVER....no way man. I respect your opinion but I just don't share it. sorry.

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned this one:

118.gif

Its a bear, but its also a wilderness scene. The ear is the moon, the eye is a shooting star, the trees are...trees, and the mouth is a river.

Never, ever looked the this logo that way. Pretty awesome!

Wow, it's my turn for an embarassing admition. I never knew that the moon was supposed to make an ear. Looking at it that way actually makes the logo look better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ohhh... When someone said "I think it's in the shape of the State of Missouri", then posted an image of the state, I thought they were jokingly posting that image as a logo. I didn't see it at all.

This isn't a logo thing, but it's a team color discovery. Somewhere in my internet travels, I discovered that one of the three men who bought the New York Titans as they became the New York Jets, who went on to later become sole owner of the team was Leon Hess, founder of the Hess corporation. I don't know if he was instrumental in the color change, but if he wasn't, this is an incredible coincidence:

The Jets did greatly darken their green in their latest iteration, but I think you get the point.

I think it's widely acknowledged now that Hess chose the color to match his company/favorite color, even if that wasn't acknowledged at the time.

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned this one:

118.gif

Its a bear, but its also a wilderness scene. The ear is the moon, the eye is a shooting star, the trees are...trees, and the mouth is a river.

Never, ever looked the this logo that way. Pretty awesome!

I always think of the Thundercats when I see their (or Kansas State's) logo.

logo.jpg

87Redskins.png

I think it's widely acknowledged now that Hess chose the color to match his company/favorite color, even if that wasn't acknowledged at the time.

Really? In all my years of living up here, you are the first person I have ever heard mention the colors being from that source.

spacer.png

spacer.png

jhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif

It always really bugged me that the logo doesn't have 17 stars in the flag, but I'd be lying if I said I noticed the "C" before I saw it explained to me in a CBJ program a while back.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

• 3 months later...

Bump

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Leinenkugel-logo.jpg

pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, and i know its not sports, but some of the others arent either so, might as well.

The native american lady in the top, is supposed to represent the state of wisconsin.

Here is their explanation, but I love the history of the logo:

Why do you have a Native American Indian on some of your beer labels?

The Native American Indian who graces our label is a symbol of the rich heritage of our area. Leinenkugel's has been brewed in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, for 140 years. The Santee Sioux and Ojibways were the areas first native settlers. Chippewa Falls also lies in the heart of what is called the Indian Head Country. (The Indian Head area was so named because the border of the northwest corner of Wisconsin forms the profile of an Indian.) We've featured the Native American Indian on our label since the 1930s as a tribute to this special area that is rich in Indian history.

http://leinie.com/faq.html#14

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

To the soccer-fans here. In the Schalke 04 Logo is a white G which stands for the city Gelsenkirchen. Even some fans here in Germany didn't recognise that yet.

200px-FC_Schalke_04_Logo.svg.png

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived