Hidden meanings in logos

nyiles39

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Buffalo Sabres logo, the eye is a ying-yang. Why? I have no idea for sure but I always thought it was a nod to

the parent company HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company), which had owned what was once Marine Midland Bank and was the first name of the arena.

Personally I always thought the switch to the black and red was because of the HSBC tie-in and their corporate colors, just not as blatant as Orca Bay entertainment.

Most people think the red/black switch was because of the Regis family and Adelphia cable, but that happened long after the

team went to black/red and was mere coincidence.

this is an extreme close-up of the vector art:

2630376720103761653S425x425Q85.jpg

True, HSBC did own Marine Midland Bank since well before the red and black era, but I seriously doubt they went red and black because of HSBC. I vaguely remember a story from the 99 Stanley Cup Finals that the team was dragging their feet rebranding the arena "HSBC" and HSBC was mad because they were missing out on the extra exposure from the team making the finals. If they could't even get the Sabres to change the name on the building, I highly doubt they're going to decide the color scheme of the team on the ice.

EDIT: Searched the archives at buffalonews.com (don't get the whole article for free), but apparently the team refused to change the name and it came to a lawsuit. Not sure if this link will work, but here's my search. So yeah, I seriously doubt they had input on the redesign process. Red and black were just trendy in the 90's.

tn3-star%20rating%20logo%20copy.jpg

You've probably seen this before on the Titans logo. It's the three stars in Tennessee's flag. What you might not know is the meaning. Tennessee is legally divided into three grand divisions: West, Middle, and East. Each star represents one of the regions. There are some laws based on the regions, which is important in a state that is 400+ miles wide. For example, the Supreme Court must have at least one of its five members from each of its regions. I'm glad Tennessee has laws like this, especially living in the region looked down upon by the other two (West, Memphis).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Sitting in traffic on the way home from work daily I see many Knight Transportation trucks on the interstate highway. I've always noticed the knight head in the negative space of the K. But, this week I all of a sudden saw the horse. Now that I know it's there, it seems so obvious.

KNIGHT_TRANSPORTATION.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Speaking of triangles...

1.gif

I had a peek at the talk page for the Ducks Wikipedia article. Someone on there mentioned an origin for the triangle (and technically, the sticks too), but with Wikipedia being Wikipedia, it could easily be a load of crap and thus it's not on the article itself:

Unknown to many the intersecting sticks and triangular background are actually a modified upside down version of the greek letters delta and upsilon placed over one another. This symbol is the same design worn by the members of Delta Upsilon which is the greek organization that Michael Eisner (the chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company from 1984 until 2005) belonged to. Delta Upsilons unofficial mascot was the ducks and thus the components and ideas of the Ducks old logo can be traced back to Eisners time in college

In short, it's supposedly an upside-down version of this:

220px-DU_Member_Badge_Motto.svg.png

And as much as I love the Ducks old logo, I'm not sure I'm buying this origin.

Not really buying that one either, but I guess anything is possible. But if the whole Greek letter thing is true, it looks more like Delta Chi anyway.

70389454.png

You guys mentioned the Capitol building in the Washington Capitals Alt. logo but you can also see the top of the Washington Monument just above the silhouette of the capitol building.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Washington_Caps_Alternate.svg

I can't believe I have never noticed that

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

Sitting in traffic on the way home from work daily I see many Knight Transportation trucks on the interstate highway. I've always noticed the knight head in the negative space of the K. But, this week I all of a sudden saw the horse. Now that I know it's there, it seems so obvious.

KNIGHT_TRANSPORTATION.jpg

Holy shi....

I was just driving behind a similar truck this week admiring this very same logo. the only difference was that it was in mostly black and silver. I never noticed the horse. To be honest, I don't like the juxtaposition of the horse. Shouldn't the Knight be seen RIDING on the horse as opposed to being along side it? Seems awkward...and now my eye can't stop going to the horse.

960.gif

Right part of the head of the Philly Eagle's logo makes an "E"

LOL, you're reaching there...

That "hidden" E is the reason why the Eagles logo faces left, instead of right. It is the only NFL logo that is usually used in this configuration.

CincinnatiBengals.jpg

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

960.gif

That "hidden" E is the reason why the Eagles logo faces left, instead of right. It is the only NFL logo that is usually used in this configuration.

CincinnatiBengals.jpg

You mean you didn't spot the hidden B?

403.gif

:P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

960.gif

That is absurd for several reasons.

1. There's no reason to hide an "E". If you're going to hide a letter, hide a "P". The "E" is redundant, since the logo is an "E"agle.

2. People in our part of the world read left to right. It doesn't make sense to have your eye move across the back of something and go to the front. If you're trying to convey an agressiveness or something, you face it left, so as the viewer glances at it, there's a subtle "movement" effect, due to the eye going from its front to its back. As for why other logos aren't this way, I'm sure they have their reasons, but the Eagles being "flipped" has nothing to do with any hidden element.

3. The logo IS REVERSED in the actual primary logo. If there's an E that forces them to flip the logo, wouldn't it be that way in their "full" logo?

957.gif

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just found one that I don't recall seeing on here...

George Washington

The "W" contains the Washington Monument. I found it on the below list of 17 of 'em (though I think we knew the rest). My apologies if GW is contained within the previous 24 pages.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/sports-logos-hidden-images-milwaukee-brewers

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived