• Members
  • 1,133 posts

• Favourite Logos:Washington Capitals "Eagle"
      University of Maryland "M-Flag"
      Columbus Clippers primary wordmark
      University of Minnesota "M"
      Any mascot wearing a sweater :D

Posted December 30, 2008 - 00:05

The Philly Soul logo spells "Jovi" if you look carefully... of course he had to put his name in there somehow.
[image removed]

I don't think so. More likely, it's a representation of his precious, flowing coif cascading from a football.

This was actually the original Soul prototype:
Posted Image

(I don't know how to make Jon Bon Jovi's face look more "logo-ish", so I just used the stamp filter on PS Elements)

If you look real close you can see a beaver in Jon Bon Jovi's face. :D

I'm sure Jon Bon Jovi's seen many a beaver in his face.

Zing!

Posted Image
Posted Image
"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

#122 STL FANATIC

STL FANATIC
  • King of Consistency

• Moderators
  • 11,086 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:07

The Blues' bluenote is a 64th note. Doesn't sound significant until you know that St. Louis was established as a settlement/city in 1764. Are there any other primary logos tie the city in with the team itself without the use of letters or writing the city in the logo?

Can you back this up for me some more, Karby.

I hope it's true, but I'm having trouble with it.

A 64th note has four flags attached to your standard quarter note. The Blues logo has a separation at the top of the note where the wing/flags are attached. This is not a feature seen in a musical note, but is one seen in illustrations of wings attached to an object. Further, the wing attached to the Bluenote is made up of 6 "feathers." The saving grace in your theory, perhaps, is that there is clearly more visual importance on the top 4 feathers/flags than the last two.

Still, it bothers me that I can dispute the theory easy enough and dont have legitimate confirmation. So if you can give it to me, that'd be great.

Like I said, I hope it's true.

And now I'm gonna go pull out my copy of Note By Note.

#123 walby2

walby2

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:20

Sorry guys, I mistakenly wrote my words confusingly (ha). Yes, the logo is a trapper type guy, however, when looked at a certain way, it appears to have particular beaver-like features.

As the OP of the Trapper/Beaver combo logo, I have to say this thread has been incredibly cathartic. I have mentioned this logo to other people before hoping that someone else would confirm what I saw, but my efforts have generally been met with furrowed brows and other "is he crazy" looks.

Maybe that beaver was inadvertent, but dammit, it is there!

#124 Firefly

Firefly

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:38

Oh sh t! Now I can I see the beaver. Does that mean I'll die in 7 days?

#125 BJ Sands

BJ Sands
  • Runnin' down a dream

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:47

This Ottawa Rough Riders logo (ca. 1994-1996) always had me wondering...

Of course, you see the log-rider/trapper guy at first glance. But if you look carefully, you will see a cartoon beaver emerge (with two big googly eyes, and buckteeth formed by the log-rider/trapper guy's chin). Bolstering this theory is the fact that the logo came out around the peak of the cartoony-logo craze.

Posted Image

Anyway, there it is - perhaps I am delusional, or it is simply the PCP talking, but I swear there is a cartoon beaver in there.

:cry:

Don't see the beaver...

Yeah, can we get another one of those outline pictures? I can see what would be the teeth and the eyes, but the huge mustache is preventing me from being able to see a beaver I think...

OK... I'm REALLY trying to bite my tongue here...

This is WAY too obvious a set up. :D

Haha, oh, wow, not sure how I missed the innuendo in that post... But seriously guys, help me find the beaver. :P

When you are ready for the beaver, the beaver will find you.

Sweet. I just saw the beaver.

(I hope I'm saying that sometime on New Year's.)

#126 jayjackson3

jayjackson3
  • Baseball!

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 15:14

A long time ago I read that the tomahawk for the Braves was designed by a student at the Virginia Military Institute. This is when I found out about the 'VMI' in the tomahawk. I'll try to find an article or web page that will confirm this, but for now I have outlined the lettering for you.

Posted Image

#127 karby65

karby65

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 16:07

The Blues' bluenote is a 64th note. Doesn't sound significant until you know that St. Louis was established as a settlement/city in 1764. Are there any other primary logos tie the city in with the team itself without the use of letters or writing the city in the logo?

Can you back this up for me some more, Karby.

I hope it's true, but I'm having trouble with it.

A 64th note has four flags attached to your standard quarter note. The Blues logo has a separation at the top of the note where the wing/flags are attached. This is not a feature seen in a musical note, but is one seen in illustrations of wings attached to an object. Further, the wing attached to the Bluenote is made up of 6 "feathers." The saving grace in your theory, perhaps, is that there is clearly more visual importance on the top 4 feathers/flags than the last two.

Still, it bothers me that I can dispute the theory easy enough and dont have legitimate confirmation. So if you can give it to me, that'd be great.

Like I said, I hope it's true.

And now I'm gonna go pull out my copy of Note By Note.

Forgot where I heard it, but it made sence to me. They said it was a "stylyzed 64th note" I looked up when the city was founded and it matched the story. If you look at the bottom of the flags/wings of the note, I think the bottom two points that don't have the lines (the separations of the flags) are to fill in and match the rest of the logo. Just a thought. I think the break at the top of the logo is to indicate to the viewer is to see that it's a musical note. Besides that, if the break at the top wasn't there, it wouldn't have that visual catch that seems to give it more meaning. Without the gap, it would look funny. For example, take a look at the top of the NHL homepage. They have the Bluenote without the gap for the team link. It looks weird.

#128 TC

TC
  • I got owned.

• Banned
  • 684 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 13:12

St. John's University (MN) logo. Pretty obvious what's "hiding" here. But would anyone like to take a guess? Sorry, I couldn't find a better logo.

Posted Image
1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

#129 TheAK47

TheAK47

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 13:36

St. John's University (MN) logo. Pretty obvious what's "hiding" here. But would anyone like to take a guess? Sorry, I couldn't find a better logo.

Posted Image

A number one because they are #1?

Posted Image

#130 oldschoolvikings

oldschoolvikings

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 13:51

Posted Image

The St. Johns "Johnnies"?

Seriously? The "Johnnies"???

There's nothing #1 about that. Generally Urinals are for #1... Johnnies for #2.

3b96a0d4-26f6-443b-b004-4af45a75ab54_zps

#131 IronChefShark

IronChefShark
  • Remember, you're here on borrowed time

• Banned
  • 8,679 posts

• Favourite Logos:Better than everyone else's favorite logos (especially Gothamite's)

Posted December 31, 2008 - 13:57

Generally Urinals are for #1... Johnnies for #2.

all the cool kids nowadays refer to it as a "deuce"

....or around here, a Bevacqua
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Today, we are all..........uh, no, I'm not...and neither are you for that matter.
US state flag concepts - Florida(NEW), Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey

#132 goforbroke

goforbroke

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

• Favourite Logos:Houston Texans
      Super Bowl XXXVI
      Super Bowl XLIV
      Minnesota Wild
      New Orleans Hornets (Fleur de Bee)

Posted December 31, 2008 - 15:16

The "I" in the islanders logo points almost exactly to nassau coliseum. I don't think this is a coincidence because the word Islanders is shifted to the left of the circle rather than being in the center, and the "I" is higher than the "S" at the end.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, for the final time, the map in the logo does not include Brooklyn and Queens... only Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#133 TC

TC
  • I got owned.

• Banned
  • 684 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 15:28

Posted Image

The St. Johns "Johnnies"?

Seriously? The "Johnnies"???

There's nothing #1 about that. Generally Urinals are for #1... Johnnies for #2.

Their football coach is #1. John Gagliardi is college football's career coaching victories LEADER. Read the whole Wikipedia article, it's pretty crazy what he has done. Very interesting stuff.

As your name is oldschoolvikings, I am surprised you did not know this about Minnesota football history.

Also, "Johnnies" is not nearly as bad as the womens' college, St. Benedict's, home of the "Bennies".

#134 Buschwackers03

Buschwackers03

• Validating
  • 40 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 15:38

Im Illiterate when it comes to computers. I Dont Know how to post pics. http://www.jayski.co.../2008/83cup.htm
I dont know if it would be considered a logo or not but on Brian Vickers no. 83 Redbull Car it looks as if there is a letter V outlined in his No Particulary the 3. Would it be for His last name or is it a coincidence?
Posted Image

#135 TC

TC
  • I got owned.

• Banned
  • 684 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 17:23

Im Illiterate when it comes to computers. I Dont Know how to post pics. http://www.jayski.co.../2008/83cup.htm
I dont know if it would be considered a logo or not but on Brian Vickers no. 83 Redbull Car it looks as if there is a letter V outlined in his No Particulary the 3. Would it be for His last name or is it a coincidence?

To post pictures, first get the url of the picture you would like to post, then when you are typing your post click on the little picture of a sunset where it will ask for the url. Paste the url and then click OK and it will appear. Not hard.

The Brian Vickers thing is very interesting, did you find that yourself?

#136 Buschwackers03

Buschwackers03

• Validating
  • 40 posts

Posted January 1, 2009 - 10:30

The Brian Vickers thing is very interesting, did you find that yourself?
[/quote]

yeah, I kinda just noticed it one day, really last year i noticed it (2007 season)
Posted Image

#137 Mike9976

Mike9976

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 18:21

Generally Urinals are for #1... Johnnies for #2.

all the cool kids nowadays refer to it as a "deuce"

....or around here, a Bevacqua

So where is the I going to point when they r in Kansas City??

#138 mmejia

mmejia

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 19:40

Not the most cryptic, but the bottom of the Rockets "R" combined with the hoop it shoots through, create an "H" for Houston.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#139 stumpygremlin

stumpygremlin

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 21:12

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned

The mane of the lion in the logo of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions spells out UAPB

Posted Image

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

#140 Spammy

Spammy
  • oh my god its been ages

• Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 21, 2009 - 18:13

not sure if anyone noticed this but the old brewers logos has and a m and a b in it

http://sportslogos.n...hytjoxncg2kash2