AFC / NFC Logos

Ludachrisc23

4712.gif

4715.gif

Seeing increased exposure of the AFC and NFC logos in the playoffs, I was thinking they could use an update in line with the new NFL shield. At the very least--for conformity purposes--I'd like to see the stars on the logos be representative of the four divisions (four stars in NFC instead of three, eliminating one star on each side of the AFC). Thoughts, concepts, or any rumors about the NFL updating these logos anytime soon?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that I follow your argument. The current conference logos are "very recognizable" because you don't think anyone knows what the NL and AL logos look like? What does one have to do with the other? For that matter, what does recognizability have to do with design quality? Plenty of lousy designs are recognizable through sheer exposure, doesn't make them good designs.

Besides, I'm not sure that you're right. The Cubs wear a National League logo on their blue alt (the default road jersey). Given the exposure they get, and the lack of any corresponding NFL team with the logo on the uniform, I'd say that makes at least one League logo much more recognizable than either of the two NFL conference logos.

Haven't heard anything to suggest that it's even being considered.

I made this concept a year ago, when the new shield was introduced:

2213008516_c29f13500d_o.gif

Much along the lines of what you were thinking. I also changed the colors to match the darker shades in the new logo.

I like the traditional logos, but for yours to work, I'd like to see the letters be in a contrasting color, and for the football to appear in the middle of the stars.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

time was, many NFL endzones were graced with their conference's logo, though this practice has fallen out of favor lately, as the Colts are about the only team I can think of that still puts the AFC logo on an endzone on a regular basis (the one that reads Colts, naturally, there's no room on the Indianapolis end). I remember among the A's and N's were the Bears, Lions, Steelers, Bills, Chiefs, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Panthers and Oilers.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I would like it better if the A was the same size as the N and had the stars inside the A and not on the outside.

It's suppose to mimic the old AFL league logo. A letter "A" surrounded by three stars on each side.

Ugh, when can we stop paying tribute to the AFL? Casual fans couldn't even name more than three teams that were in it, let alone one team.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

I would like it better if the A was the same size as the N and had the stars inside the A and not on the outside.

It's suppose to mimic the old AFL league logo. A letter "A" surrounded by three stars on each side.

Ugh, when can we stop paying tribute to the AFL? Casual fans couldn't even name more than three teams that were in it, let alone one team.

You do know that the AFL turned into the AFC, right? Thus the conference logo resembling the old AFL logo.

Exactly. The AFL is just as relevant to the modern NFL as the old pre-merger NFL was. All of the AFL's teams formed the nucleus of the current AFC. Tribute is payed to the AFL because without them the NFL, and American pro football in general, would be worse off now without them.

As for the topic at hand, I really don't see the need to change them. They really don't seem like they need that much of a face-lift. One of those "don't fix it if it isn't broken" things.

Exactly. The AFL is just as relevant to the modern NFL as the old pre-merger NFL was.

No, it's not.

The AFL needed the Colts, Browns and Steelers in order to balance out with the old NFL. Sure, the AFL was by far the most successful challenger to the NFL, but the NFL still won the football war, albeit barely.

Be ready for the 50th anniversary then. I've heard there will be throwbacks for the original 8 teams for a few games home and road. Who cares if casual fans can't name what teams were in the AFL? As a Chargers fan, it's a big deal to me. A great part of my team's history. I grew up listening to my dad tell me what Balboa Stadium was like, looking at his old programs and his copy of "The Other League." The AFL helped turn pro football into what it is today, so no we shouldn't stop paying tribute.

Exactly. The AFL is just as relevant to the modern NFL as the old pre-merger NFL was.

No, it's not.

The AFL needed the Colts, Browns and Steelers in order to balance out with the old NFL. Sure, the AFL was by far the most successful challenger to the NFL, but the NFL still won the football war, albeit barely.

I disagree. The NFL did not win the war, if so there never would have been a merger in my opinion. Those 3 teams balanced out the conferences for realignment purposes. If the NFL had won the war, I don't think they would have taken all of the franchises, they would have chose specific markets to keep and fold the rest. Kind of like what happened with the old AAFC.

True enough - we're about to be subjected to all sorts of nostalgia.

I only wish that the NFL was as interested in its pre-Super Bowl history as the AFL partisans are of its.

I agree with you there, it kind of bugs me that the only championships that are mentioned are in the Super Bowl era, as if there was nothing before it.

But the AFL had to yield on their most treasured demand - they didn't get to keep the name.

I admit that the AFL was by far the most successful of the challengers. But like all the others, they got absorbed into the NFL. Unlike the AAFC, the AFL just had better teams across the board, or at least teams in markets that the NFL wanted.

But the AFL had to yield on their most treasured demand - they didn't get to keep the name.

I admit that the AFL was by far the most successful of the challengers. But like all the others, they got absorbed into the NFL. Unlike the AAFC, the AFL just had better teams across the board, or at least teams in markets that the NFL wanted.

Very true, but I think that they ultimately got what they wanted (excluding Al Davis who wanted to crush the NFL). Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams started the league because the NFL wouldn't let them it, but they eventually did via the merger. I guess it just depends how you look at it. I've read alot of books on the topic, so I'm quite opinionated on it...of course a little biased in my opinions. But anyway, back to the logos...it would be nice for the AFC to adopt the AFL logo. Similar with the A and the stars, but the eagle and the ball set it apart from the NFC logo. I don't think both logos need to match in any way really.

No, it's not.

I disagree. The NFL did not win the war, if so there never would have been a merger in my opinion. Those 3 teams balanced out the conferences for realignment purposes. If the NFL had won the war, I don't think they would have taken all of the franchises, they would have chose specific markets to keep and fold the rest. Kind of like what happened with the old AAFC.

This.

The old AFL/AFC weren't given the Colts, Browns, and Steelers because they needed the talent boost, they just needed three more teams to even up the alignment numbers.

And I don't even think you can all merger a complete NFL victory. An NFL victory would have been the absorption of the top one or two AFL teams, the the closure of the rest.

The post-merger NFL was very much a different entity then the pre-merger NFL. Yes, the names and symbols of the old league were carried over, but the formal rival league, which the NFL tried to stamp out initially, was now an equal partner in this new, post merger National Football League.

Archived