New Rangers Uniforms

josh1068

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The player name font is too close to the Angels and the outlines are overkill, especiall with the drop shadow on the home and aways. And, OMG, that helmet is gonna look like complete s***. And I'm not a big fan of the red/blue double piping. Either make it triple, red/white/blue, or single blue. Double simply makes it look like a crappy fashion jersey from Walmart.

Why did they have to ruin one of the best MLB uniform sets? Add the red jersey/cap and ditch the black drop shadow on the home and aways, and you have an improved, already great set. Now, it's... something other than good.

I could live with their color scheme being Royal, Red, White, and Black. On some elements there is no Black and lots of Gray, on other elements there is no Gray and lots of Black. It doesn't make sense. It all seems pretty much slapped together. I do like the Texas wordmark of course, but the names should stand apart from that IMO. I don't know, seems like they didn't really flush out their ideas. I, probably like a lot of people, will now begin a concept to see what I can come up with for them. And keep in mind, these days in the MLB world it is a lot better to go with Royal, Red, and Black than it is to change your Royal to Navy and match all the other teams. I'd say swing and miss, but like every swing in Little League, it was a good cut.

"HOME AND ROAD BATTING HELMET: Helmet is blue and red with metallic finish. Front of helmet is blue and back of helmet is red. It has a white "T" outlined in blue and red on front. All helmets will be vented."

Ugh not another one...

I kind of like them... except for the fact, like the Rays, they don't have anything that says the team name. They have a 'T' on the hat for Texas, they only have 'Texas' on the front of the jerseys AND have the Texas flag on the sleeve. Where is ANYTHING that hints at their team name??

And the road name plate is awful. Looks like the Mets had a forced love child with the Angels.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Except for the batting helmet -- thanks, Mets, for unleashing two-toned crap on us -- I'm a fan. I'd still rather they said "Rangers" on their home uniforms, but we've long had teams that say their nickname on the road and it hasn't destroyed the republic. Saying your city/state name at home probably won't collapse civilization, either. Texas is kind of a special case, and anyway putting your city/state name on your home jersey is the oldest tradition in the history of baseball uniform decoration.

I particularly like the red/blue double stripe on the piping. I can't express how very sick I am of triple-stripe jersey piping. It is the ruin of many an otherwise decent uniform. Single greatest sign of team and/or manufacturer laziness, that. So it's great to see a team go its own way on piping design.

I predict right now that the Rangers will win the AL pennant this year, and that these uniforms will therefore be with us for decades (with inevitable changes to the alts).

In all other particulars, eRay said it for me. A lot of the finer details are a little bit off, in a way that strikes me as being about a lack of discipline. Maybe it would be better if there were some rule in place that said that any significant uniform revision had to result in spending the first year with only the primary home and away jerseys, no alts, with one new alternate jersey/cap combo allowed per year for each of the following two years. Focus on the core identity first and get the details right, then move on to extending the brand to alternates. Still, this is B-minus uniform set that could have been a solid A, not a complete failure of design.

20082614447.png

They could've at least had some consistency with the outlining within the same uniform. Case in point, if you look at the front of the homes (and probably the same with the roads), "Texas" is in blue outlined in red, then white, then the black drop shadow. However, on the back, the name and numbers are blue, then white, then red, then black. The red and white are reversed. The black drop shadown coming off of the white at least help seperate it from the blue and red and make it tolerable. But the inconsistency from front to back does not look good.

I like the return of the red, but the black drop shadow is driving me nuts.

I agree with a previous poster, if you add the old school 'Rangers' script to the front of the road jersey, maybe even with the old state of Texas logo on the front, if you really want to appease crazed Texan pride, you'd have a winner.

sig2024.png

I like that they went to a custom font for NOBs, but it can't be double-outlined with a black drop shadow. No. Just no. Why not add a gradient while you're at it. Too bad it's not a GIF. You could animate it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Still standing by my belief that "Dallas Chaparrals" would've been a cooler name than "Texas Rangers," but that train has left the station (since the ship can't sail; it's Dallas), unless someone wants to go to great lengths to purge George W. Bush's ownership and all of the mediocrity before/during/after that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived