76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

A square logo? Seriously? There are a lot of shapes and combinations of shapes that can be used as the basis for an exciting, dynamic logo. A square is not one of those.

I wonder if they'll change the logo on Charles Barkley's banner to reflect the "new" logo, since it had the black and gold one, despite him never wearing it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing they changed was the 6 in the logo. Brutal. They really could have updated this and made it look fresh but classic. Big missed opportunity. I hope the secondary marks are better but I am not holding my breath...

If you did end up holding your breath, you can stop now. This is your secondary logo:

p6331092dt.jpg

There's your 'rectangular court-shaped secondary.' How exciting!

I will bet that more thought and time was put into OKC's 'branding.'

Garbage.

EDIT:

LOOK! They've even already recolored and sewn it to a hoody for St. Patty's Day 2010! Can't wait to see their 1982-83 gems in KELLY GREEN! Oh man, this really can't get any better.

p6331039dt.jpg

EDIT!!!

LOL apparently this is the PRIMARY logo and the original is the partial, meaning we wont see much of the primary! LOL this really can't get any worse

I am hugely disappointed that they didn't take this opportunity to make any kind of an update to that logo. It's a great classic logo, but it's a little behind the times. It's not like it's horrible as is, but I think they definitely they should have taken this chance to tweak it and bring it into the twentieth century.

So lame. Is there a creativity vacuum in the NBA that I don't know about? Atlanta, Denver, Detroit (to an extent), Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, Toronto, Utah, & Washington all have RECOLORED - not REBRANDED - previous logos, reverted back to older logos, or only minorly tweaked existing logos in their most recent "changes."

ujsignature.png

So lame. Is there a creativity vacuum in the NBA that I don't know about? Atlanta, Denver, Detroit (to an extent), Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, Toronto, Utah, & Washington all have RECOLORED - not REBRANDED - previous logos, reverted back to older logos, or only minorly tweaked existing logos in their most recent "changes."

Cleveland and Memphis were the last good true rebrands that I can recall. Probably have to include Houston too, as I think that was pretty successful.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Y'all wanted 'em to go back to that garbage ass logo...becuz dey one n it!!!112334

Y'all got what y'all wanted. Enjoy. Go get your postage stamp hoodies!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

wow, thats some bull...

to sound too hopeful: they actually said,

"The only enhancement with the new logo will be a rectangular ?court? shaped enclosure around the ball logo with the city name ?PHILADELPHIA? grounded along the bottom and silver accent shaping the entire perimeter.

The Sixers will introduce a new secondary logo and wordmark at a later date. Additionally, the team will unveil a new court design and uniforms later this summer."

so technically, that rectangular piece of ass could be the new primary and we could still be eye-f'ed with a "new" secondary.

The only thing they changed was the 6 in the logo. Brutal. They really could have updated this and made it look fresh but classic. Big missed opportunity. I hope the secondary marks are better but I am not holding my breath...

Actually, they changed the six a couple years ago when they started using it as a throwback logo.

wow, thats some bull...

to sound too hopeful: they actually said,

"The only enhancement with the new logo will be a rectangular ?court? shaped enclosure around the ball logo with the city name ?PHILADELPHIA? grounded along the bottom and silver accent shaping the entire perimeter.

The Sixers will introduce a new secondary logo and wordmark at a later date. Additionally, the team will unveil a new court design and uniforms later this summer."

so technically, that rectangular piece of ass could be the new primary and we could still be eye-f'ed with a "new" secondary.

You're correct. This rectangular "court" logo IS the new primary. Here it is - color-optimized and all:

Philadelphia76ers_PRM_2010-9999.png

I suspected that the Blue was changed from the previous (1977-1978 through 1996-1997) logo - I was right about that.

The logo without the rectangle (just the "ball" logo) is now considered a "Partial" logo.

Meh, it's not half bad. That primary is never going to be used anyway, it's basically a pin design, they'll just use the "partial." The logo looks kind of like Phoenix and Portland, putting all the "P" cities with similar logos.

good call A. it'll be just like Phoenix who only uses the PHX bird logo for team marketing as opposed to the rectangular primary.

that being said, i'm sure they payed a certain amount to make that deviation of the logo into the primary, but what the hell for if you're never going to use it? this adds to the long line of terrible decisions for this "rebranding".

also, FWIW, this is (imo) an edit they should have made to the retro logo:

76fix.png

I agree Conrad, that logo looks slick.

One thing I do like about the "update" is the colors. They're slightly different but I like them. I'm pretty sure that later on in the summer they'll release another secondary, because this just doesn't make any sense from what they've been talking about.

Also, Colorwerx, how do you color-optimize? Do you adjust the colors yourself and then use some special setting when exporting or do you have a special program for it? Thanks

I'm reading some of the comments on sportslogos.net and almost every one of them is something like "I am so excited they finally brought this back!"

Really?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Wow, that looks beautiful conrad... I mean, they have a nice, iconic logo, but on top of that 2D ball it just doesn't look that great. Yours allows it to have some depth while still being retro... there's a lot they could have done to update this identity without recycling, but it looks like they're content with that.

good call A. it'll be just like Phoenix who only uses the PHX bird logo for team marketing as opposed to the rectangular primary.

that being said, i'm sure they payed a certain amount to make that deviation of the logo into the primary, but what the hell for if you're never going to use it? this adds to the long line of terrible decisions for this "rebranding".

76fix.png

That is such a huge improvement, Conrad. Had they done something like that and added "Philadelphia" in there somewhere (I think the city/state name is required for primary logos), this would have gone from a step backwards to a step forwards.

76fix.png

Looks sharp! Philly could have at least done what Detroit did when they went semi-retro at the beginning of the decade -- The whole "modern meets retro" look.

The Sixers dropped the ball on this one. Just turrble.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived