76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

At least some kind of trim would have been nice.

Ask and you shall receive. Also, giggity.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks to me like the NBA logo on the jersey in that picture is the Hardwood Classics one (the colors are slightly different). I'm going to go ahead and assume that that jersey is not exactly the one they will be wearing on the court next season. As a side note though, I really always have loved that jersey.

It looks to me like the NBA logo on the jersey in that picture is the Hardwood Classics one (the colors are slightly different). I'm going to go ahead and assume that that jersey is not exactly the one they will be wearing on the court next season. As a side note though, I really always have loved that jersey.

correct.

like i posted before the new wordmarks are one-color and the new designs i guess will be out in the upcoming weeks. not like it matters though, im sure they will disappoint in a whole new way from the rest of the re-branding.

I kinda like what I'm seeing for the sixers.

Not gonna lie.

I'd actually like to see them stick with this logo for a long time to come.

I believe they could go the same 'route' the lakers and celtics have gone (traditional jerseys).

I mean the Sixers record is no where as good as either of those teams, but they are one of the oldest teams in the league, with a very rich history.

Now unless we see something like what the Timberwolves decided to go wih last year, I think I'll like what they're doing.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Not gonna lie.

I believe they could go the same 'route' the lakers and celtics have gone (traditional jerseys).

I mean the Sixers record is no where as good as either of those teams, but they are one of the oldest teams in the league, with a very rich history.

Now unless we see something like what the Timberwolves decided to go wih last year, I think I'll like what they're doing.

Not really. They've only been around since they moved from Syracuse in the early '60s, after the Warriors moved to the Golden State.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know...maybe its just me but I found these Sixers throwbacks or retro jerseys to be extremely boring an unimaginative back then as well as NOW.

I appreciate simplicity in uniform design, but this is too simple for my liking.

They could add a simple star or two here and there to make it look like a professional uni as opposed to an Indiana High School Uni.

Not gonna lie.

Not really. They've only been around since they moved from Syracuse in the early '60s, after the Warriors moved to the Golden State.

I mean I know they're no where near as old as the Celtics or the Lakers (if you include when they were in MN), but they are an old team compared to the majority of other teams in the league, right?

I mean no offense in using the term 'old' cause I don't know how old some of the people on the board are haha.

I just think with their history of having Moses, Dr. J, Barkley, etc. they have a rich history.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'll assume that the sixers will go to a uniform template similar to the lakers, pistons, and heat uses

Why would you assume that? There is no reason at all to think that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't mind when teams return to their roots. Usually, this sort of change is welcomed with open arms by fans who followed the team in that era, and by younger people who are just into this retro craze for whatever reason. This change, however, can be summarized in two words: Cheap and Lazy. That logo, which is now their official primary again, is dated and not very visually pleasing. I like when teams like the Sabres or the Pistons brick back an old logo but fix it's defaults in the process. As it stands right now, I smell a cash grab from the Sixers organisation. It costs alot less money to recycle old designs onto fabric than it does producing something brand new. But everybody is going vintage, so who could possibly complain about anything?

I don't mind when teams return to their roots. Usually, this sort of change is welcomed with open arms by fans who followed the team in that era, and by younger people who are just into this retro craze for whatever reason. This change, however, can be summarized in two words: Cheap and Lazy. That logo, which is now their official primary again, is dated and not very visually pleasing. I like when teams like the Sabres or the Pistons brick back an old logo but fix it's defaults in the process. As it stands right now, I smell a cash grab from the Sixers organisation. It costs alot less money to recycle old designs onto fabric than it does producing something brand new. But everybody is going vintage, so who could possibly complain about anything?

They didnt really take the cheap or lazy way out. I interned with the 76ers this past season with Harvey Pollack, and I can tell you first hand that the overall fan opinion was to go back to the roots. They did lots of studies, and even did a poll on the Sixers website where they asked the fans what was the favorite logo of the team's history, and the old logo won by a landslide. They are also using an updated version of the old uniforms, so its not much of a recycling of fabric when they will have to completely rehaul the actual authentic product, and just keep the current throwbacks uni's as just that...throwbacks.

That being said, I would love to see the SIXERS tailor their old school look to a lakers/heat/raptors/pistons style template. I think that would be a pretty clean way to make the uniforms look both classic and updated at the same time.

I personally love the fact that they returned to their old logo. The fact that it still looks current decades after it was initially created proves how good of a design it is.

But I gotta be honest, those unis are really bland...

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

They didnt really take the cheap or lazy way out. I interned with the 76ers this past season with Harvey Pollack, and I can tell you first hand that the overall fan opinion was to go back to the roots. They did lots of studies, and even did a poll on the Sixers website where they asked the fans what was the favorite logo of the team's history, and the old logo won by a landslide. They are also using an updated version of the old uniforms, so its not much of a recycling of fabric when they will have to completely rehaul the actual authentic product, and just keep the current throwbacks uni's as just that...throwbacks.

That being said, I would love to see the SIXERS tailor their old school look to a lakers/heat/raptors/pistons style template. I think that would be a pretty clean way to make the uniforms look both classic and updated at the same time.

It's easy for fans to say that the old logo was their favorite one, because it's not like there were many options. I'm sure if they had a design team assemble some good new "retro-themed" marks, they could easily have come up with something superior to the one they just went back to.

Also, I feel safe in saying that the fan "reaction" to this can only be described as apathetic. The only fans who I've talked to or heard on the radio who actually care are more upset that they feel that the team is just using this as a way of a way of shifting attention away from the fact that they suck, and won't (or can't) do anything about it.

Funny how the Sixers went from being the best team in the city af far as PR goes (when they had Pat Croce in charge - coincidentally, also when they ushered in the black look) to being second to worst (ahead of only the Eagles, who are the most PR-inept franchise I think I've ever seen.)

good call A. it'll be just like Phoenix who only uses the PHX bird logo for team marketing as opposed to the rectangular primary.

that being said, i'm sure they payed a certain amount to make that deviation of the logo into the primary, but what the hell for if you're never going to use it? this adds to the long line of terrible decisions for this "rebranding".

also, FWIW, this is (imo) an edit they should have made to the retro logo:

76fix.png

That is such a huge improvement, Conrad. Had they done something like that and added "Philadelphia" in there somewhere (I think the city/state name is required for primary logos), this would have gone from a step backwards to a step forwards.

I cosign...Conrad's take SHOULD be the logo!!! B)

Also, re "Philadelphia," a spot atop the ball, but inside the ball's outline, would be perfect for that.

[447]

I was thinking and I imagine bringing back a Spectrum-like floor would tie everything together a lot better. I don't see the problem with the Sixers going retro, but for those who do, I think a Spectrum-esque floor would pull everything off better by going full board; this is as opposed to a throwback uni/logo set with some random R/W/B / modernized looking floor (which is what I think will happen).

Maybe red out of bounds, blue keys and white hashes, red 3-PT line, and the Spectrum circle at center court (except without the "SPECTRUM"). I might do a mock-up when I get back from work later.

philliescreamersig2copy.png

I was thinking and I imagine bringing back a Spectrum-like floor would tie everything together a lot better. I don't see the problem with the Sixers going retro, but for those who do, I think a Spectrum-esque floor would pull everything off better by going full board; this is as opposed to a throwback uni/logo set with some random R/W/B / modernized looking floor (which is what I think will happen).

Maybe red out of bounds, blue keys and white hashes, red 3-PT line, and the Spectrum circle at center court (except without the "SPECTRUM"). I might do a mock-up when I get back from work later.

They should just reuse the court from the spectrum game last year, except where it says spectrum put Wach-- er wait Wells Fargo Center (I believe thats what it will be called next season)

Archived