76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

My problem with the two tone blue is that it's used in both Denver and Memphis. What I would like to see is the Jazz phase out the navy for dark purple. Purple and powder blue. Now that's unique.

We kind of have that already:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Twitter page has a new script logo as well. I'm assuming that they'll update the identity to new standards with new scripts and hopefully some exciting new alternate logos. I like this change for the Sixers because the Sixers fans like it. I just hope they don't mess up the uniforms, I'm not 100% convinced that they'll be the same classic set.

My problem with the two tone blue is that it's used in both Denver and Memphis. What I would like to see is the Jazz phase out the navy for dark purple. Purple and powder blue. Now that's unique.

We kind of have that already:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Interesting. I thought the Hornets were still teal. Hmmm.

I stand corrected then.

I don't think teams can just revert to an old logo as they please. They have to tweak it somehow.

Why? Please explain.

It's not that they can't, but other than the Islanders, who else has done it? Usually there's a modernization of whatever they go back to (e.g. Pistons)...

The Pistons did a solid job of blending past and present. Utilized the typeface from the late 90's and the color/logo scheme from the Bad Boy era. My only gripe with them is their logos are so bland; the D in the P, the basketball with drop-shadowed wordmarks. They could've done something a bit more creative than that. Personally, I loved the idea of the horse. Not saying bring back teal, red, and gold, but still far more eventful.

If the 76ers can effectively mediate between classic colors and bring in new design elements, then it's a success.

The Pistons did a solid job of blending past and present. Utilized the typeface from the late 90's and the color/logo scheme from the Bad Boy era. My only gripe with them is their logos are so bland; the D in the P, the basketball with drop-shadowed wordmarks. They could've done something a bit more creative than that. Personally, I loved the idea of the horse. Not saying bring back teal, red, and gold, but still far more eventful.

If the 76ers can effectively mediate between classic colors and bring in new design elements, then it's a success.

The Pistons made a mistake when they discontinued the flaming horse logo and went with the dp script Imo the DP script a little cartoonish and the flaming horse which I liked made the concept of the team logo and unis look meaner.

I wish they would update the main logo and go with the current detroit pistons script that they use with their main logo and intergrate it with the old cylinder pistons logo from the Bad Boys era.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Last week the 76ers announced they will re-launch their brand identity tomorrow in the main lobby of the Comcast Center on JFK Blvd. Sixers General Manager Ed Stefanski and new head coach Eddie Jordan will be present. This "major announcement" is scheduled for 2 p.m. and includes a free t-shirt and multimedia presentation on the Comcast experience (the public is invited to attend). Afterwards, the Sixers will begin a T-Shirt Tour from a double-decker bus, with the t-shirts courtesy of Adidas. The tour begins at the Comcast Center, continues through to the circle at the Art Museum, loops around Main Line Health's Lankenau Hospital, then west up Lancaster Ave.

Per Kate Fagan's Deep Sixer Blog on Philly.com

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

That's one heck of a bus tour.

I was going to telecommute tomorrow, so that I could go down to wherever the unveiling was going to be, but I forgot that our stupid department picnic starts at noon and I can't skip it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm so tempted to fake an illness to get out of this picnic, but I already made my "donation". Oh well... my hunch is that it isn't going to turn out to be anything worth making a special trip for anyway.

Looks like the Sixers have updated their site to feature what I assume to be their new logo/identity. Looks like they are going back to their 1976/77-1996/97 logo:

4213sx50mvfxcxxjegkgfpni8.gif

Site's been like that for a while.

And most of us suspect that will be the new logo; it's featured on their draft cap for this year.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

There is a difference on the logo seen on the site.

Notice how on the old one there is no line inbetween 7 and 6, on the current one the line is present.

good catch.

also, i noticed this awhile ago, but it seems like the "new" blue is brighter than the old blue, as per the evidence here:

Old 76ers Colors

Current 76ers Colors

so hypothetically (excuse the format Donovan):

76newness.jpg

Well it seems like there are different variations of the old Sixers logo, but I have the official one and I'm assuming the colors are right:

76ersoldlogo.png

Compare that to the one on the Sixers official twitter:

76erstwitter1.jpg

As you can see, the blue and the red seem brighter than the other one. I think they're just tweaking the colors.

This is also the possible script for the 76ers found on their twitter BG:

76erstwitter2.jpg

Twitter source: http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production...g_1600x1200.gif

16 NBA Titles

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

I like the throwback idea.. but that logo needs an upgrade. The ball is clippers-style weird. Why does the center line break in the middle of the ball? Modernize the logo and you have a winner.

That's how basketball's use to look, they were made that way.

Notice the Celtics logo has a ball the same way.

I like the throwback idea.. but that logo needs an upgrade. The ball is clippers-style weird. Why does the center line break in the middle of the ball? Modernize the logo and you have a winner.

That's why it needs modernizing

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Looks much better without the line between the numbers.

That's why it needs modernizing

I agree.

Archived