Lions uniform changes

Proc

The Detroit Lions held a "Town Hall" style meeting for select season ticket holders last night. The question arose as to whether the Lions would change their uniforms.

From an Oakland (County) Press writer/blogger: "(Team President Tom) Lewand hinted that changes to the uniform and leaping Lion logo will be coming, though maybe not until the 2010 season. Uniform changes for this year had to be submitted last November. 'Stay tuned,' Lewand said." Blog regarding Lions Town Hall Meeting

The same story was reported on Detroit's Fox2 News by sports announcer and Lions radio, play-by-play man, Dan Miller.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. That's potentially good news.

Yes. And then you remember what team's doing it, and you start getting visions of the Buffalo Bills, along with a mild tremor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As I've said many times in these forums, Leave bubbles alone!

Things that you can do to improve the Detroit Lions identity.

#1 - Remove the black

#2 - Lighten the Honolulu blue. Correct me if I'm wrong, Donovan, but didn't the Lions darken the blue fairly recently.

#3 - Tweak bubbles in a similar fashion to the Arizona Cardinals or Miami Dolphins. Nothing radical.

#4 - I've never seen this in any concept, but I've always thought the Lions should change the Silver to Gold.

Everyone loves a roundel.

#4 - I've never seen this in any concept, but I've always thought the Lions should change the Silver to Gold.

That's sacrilege at this point. But if this were 50 odd years ago, I might think that's a good idea--the whole lion/king of the jungle/regal implication.

As others have said, I'm cautiously optimistic--these are the Lions we're talking about, but they appear to rightfully be in full "kiss the fans' ass" mode. Anything they do will be fairly minor, so as not to give us another reason to hate them. I'd say black will almost surely disappear, and I also hope they lighten the blue again. I'm supportive of a slight tweak to Bubbles, but nervous because I think that's where the most damage can be done.

Bubbles? I've never heard that when refferring to the Lions logo. Anyone care to explain?

Oh, yeah. That's just what we call him around here. Honestly, it's more to do with the team, than the logo. Aside from the odd white spot caused by the raised front leg's placement that a lot of people have a hard time figuring out, it's a pretty solid logo. It's just been associated with 50 years of losing, so we've given it an emasculating nickname befitting the team's ineptitude.

I think their color scheme is fine, but definitely drop the black. They need to change that logo, now that it is associated with the only 0-16 team in NFL history. Besides, they've had it on their helmets since 1962, and they can definitely do something more with a lion as a logo.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Tweak, tweak, tweak. That's 0-16 talk. There should be radical change. Something to really goose the fans and turn the attitude around.

Winning is a way to do it, but since that ain't happening, we need something new.

Black gets the first ax. The second should be the full cat.

The Panthers' full cat looks stupid, the Jags' full cat looks meh, the Bengals full cat looks okay. Bubbles needs to be cooked down into something that expresses the fierceness and regality of a lion. Right now he looks like a kitten batting at some string.

*edited because I be typing too fast.

Tweak, tweak, tweak. That's 16-0 talk. There should be radical change. Something to really goose the fans and turn the attitude around.

Play in nothing but loin cloths. You went 0-16, playing like you're an extra from "Meet the Spartans" shouldn't be any worse of a humiliation.

;)

As I've said many times in these forums, Leave bubbles alone!

Things that you can do to improve the Detroit Lions identity.

#1 - Remove the black

#2 - Lighten the Honolulu blue. Correct me if I'm wrong, Donovan, but didn't the Lions darken the blue fairly recently.

#3 - Tweak bubbles in a similar fashion to the Arizona Cardinals or Miami Dolphins. Nothing radical.

My two cents:

#1 - I always wanted Navy instead of Black anyway.

#2 - Yeah, they've had four different shades of Honolulu Blue that I've found so far in my research.

#3 - I agree.

#4 - They did that once - in 1952:

DetroitLions_FRC_1952_SOL_SRGB.jpg

I love the leaping Lion look!! He looks cool and sleek.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them adding a little black as as accent color here and there. But they've got everything outlined in it and the uniform looks so damned busy.

The black alts need to go.

I think as long as the employ Verlander (Cardinals, Texans, Seahawks) to recreate the Lions logos

I wonder if they'll use the same font again.

I say, why not use the main Ford Field/end zone font?

Ford Field font (It's just the lighting of the picture, but you can already tell it wouldn't look bad in something approaching the old Honolulu Blue.)

endzone font

...Funny how I had about as hard a time Googling a good picture of the Lions' endzone, as the team does reaching the real one.

NO COPPERPLATE, PLEEEEEASE.

SECONDED. Copperplate would be a disaster.

Sorry, I can't jump on that bandwagon. While it shouldn't run rampant, Copperplate does have its applications. I think it's foolish, (and perhaps the in-crowd's party line right now) to summarily poo-poo an entire font.

Archived