Lions uniform changes

Proc

I think their color scheme is fine, but definitely drop the black. They need to change that logo, now that it is associated with the only 0-16 team in NFL history. Besides, they've had it on their helmets since 1962, and they can definitely do something more with a lion as a logo.

What happens when the new logo is associated with the second 0-16 team in history? Back to the drawing boards?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NO COPPERPLATE, PLEEEEEASE.

SECONDED. Copperplate would be a disaster.

Sorry, I can't jump on that bandwagon. While it shouldn't run rampant, Copperplate does have its applications. I think it's foolish, (and perhaps the in-crowd's party line right now) to summarily poo-poo an entire font.

I don't dislike the copperplate, but I really miss the old font, seen below:

small_detroit_logo.gif

I think a Cards/Phins-style revamp would be perfect. I don't see a real reason go away from the current logo that's been with the team for years. Honestly, I don't mind the black, either. I think it looks fine on the home and away uniforms. The thing that bothers me is that the team seems to feature the black as a primary color, which it shouldn't be. The website used to be primarily black, and, well I don't need to discuss the black jerseys, do I?

Sorry, I can't jump on that bandwagon. While it shouldn't run rampant, Copperplate does have its applications. I think it's foolish, (and perhaps the in-crowd's party line right now) to summarily poo-poo an entire font.

small_detroit_logo.gif

Ugh, that dated mess? It always reminded me too much of the Colts , and to a lesser extent the Cowboys.

small_detroit_logo.gif

I think a Cards/Phins-style revamp would be perfect. I don't see a real reason go away from the current logo that's been with the team for years. Honestly, I don't mind the black, either. I think it looks fine on the home and away uniforms. The thing that bothers me is that the team seems to feature the black as a primary color, which it shouldn't be. The website used to be primarily black, and, well I don't need to discuss the black jerseys, do I?

That IS the current wordmark. I don't know what the deal is with the Copperplate Ford Field wordmark, but it isn't the teams' official wordmark.

small_detroit_logo.gif

Ugh, that dated mess? It always reminded me too much of the Colts , and to a lesser extent the Cowboys.

Take into account that Dan Majerle is my favorite basketball player, and I religiously watch Home Improvement. I tend to like things that were around when I was 10 years old :D

But, yes, I do like that wordmark. I'd update/modernize it a bit....sounds like I might have a concept to make.

Yes! That's the look! And bring back Billy Sims while your at it!
I've said it before...they can go back to this simple look from the early 80s and I'd be happy...

ll-sims.jpg

The coolest aspect of those uniforms, were the "glitter" effect in the Silver numbers and stripes. Really unique in its day.

Please don't change bubbles. Silhouettes make for top notch helmet logos. The more "realistic", "detailed", or "ferocious" they try to make it, the worse it'll get. It's a great logo that's been around for a long time. I'd like 'em to ditch the black and go back to the Barry Sanders days, but I'd take what they have now over any messing with the logo.

Texas and Iowa should not mess with their silhouettes and neither should the Lions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Please don't change bubbles. Silhouettes make for top notch helmet logos. The more "realistic", "detailed", or "ferocious" they try to make it, the worse it'll get. It's a great logo that's been around for a long time. I'd like 'em to ditch the black and go back to the Barry Sanders days, but I'd take what they have now over any messing with the logo.

Texas and Iowa should not mess with their silhouettes and neither should the Lions.

You know, he makes a good point. I'd like to amend my position on Bubbles, to limit any changes to fixing that front raised paw.

small_detroit_logo.gif

It would be fairly simple to take the current wordmark and update it, using the same "spirit" to not stray too far from their classic look. I took that idea and came up with what I thought would be something of a Verlander-esque update:

lions-update.jpg

As you can see, there could be three potential routes... one being a simpler, reserved mark without the side-points and just using the indentions, one *with* the side points, and one utilizing the drop shadow, but done in their silver color to not busy up the look.

I make no attempts and even touching the logo itself. I just think that the wordmark could certainly be done very easily and still appease both those looking for something new and those looking to hold on to tradition.

If the above commentary is the consensus of changes/tweaks most would like to see to the Lions' look, then, well...y'all may not like my upcoming Lions concept very much. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It would be fairly simple to take the current wordmark and update it, using the same "spirit" to not stray too far from their classic look. I took that idea and came up with what I thought would be something of a Verlander-esque update:

lions-update.jpg

As you can see, there could be three potential routes... one being a simpler, reserved mark without the side-points and just using the indentions, one *with* the side points, and one utilizing the drop shadow, but done in their silver color to not busy up the look.

I make no attempts and even touching the logo itself. I just think that the wordmark could certainly be done very easily and still appease both those looking for something new and those looking to hold on to tradition.

I think any upcoming revamp would be a good time to ditch the whole "indents and side points" font altogether. I think Shumway's in the minority about having any kind of attachment to the existing wordmark, and most would be glad to see it updated.

I think they should use Champagne, Maroon and light blue. These are the only colors associated with a winning football team from Detroit.

Don't forget about the Drive, who appeared in six straight ArenaBowls and won four of them.

lions-update.jpg

If one was going for an update without the stretched type, starting with Rockwell Bold Condensed might be a place to start.

For those of you with iTunes, the radio section has sports radio. The detroit area, 97.1 the ticket is having listeners tell there suggestions on what they would like to change.

They're big on going retro, the retro unis, maybe add a few stripes, helmet logo can be the "mustang" lion logo with the two stripes, or none.

By "mustang" lion logo, are they referring to the stretched lion that is in their anniversary logo? They can't use that, it looks like it was drawn with an Etch-A-Sketch.

This is scary. I have a bad feeling that they could go Cards or Vikings on us with this one.While a modernized logo for those teams worked nice and could for the Lions as well the uniforms they are paired with absolutely suck. Then you have the other end of the spectrum where the Thanksgiving Day unis or something very similar could be used. I say get rid of the black ,update the logo ala the Cardinals(nothing drastic) and go with more of a Barry Saunders era uni.

Archived