Lions uniform changes

Proc

I really don't understand the people who want to jettison black from the uniform. I know it was badly applied, but even with that, I feel like the current uniforms look much better in action than the Sanders-era sets. Light blue and silver don't have nearly enough contrast on their own, and before the black was added, Bubbles was an indistinct blob. Now it actually looks like a lion. If the Lions hadn't half-assed the application, they would be a great example of how adding black can make some uniforms look much better.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't understand the people who want to jettison black from the uniform. I know it was badly applied, but even with that, I feel like the current uniforms look much better in action than the Sanders-era sets. Light blue and silver don't have nearly enough contrast on their own, and before the black was added, Bubbles was an indistinct blob. Now it actually looks like a lion. If the Lions hadn't half-assed the application, they would be a great example of how adding black can make some uniforms look much better.

What "it" are you referring to? I didn't think the logo was changed other than adding a black outline to it.

They just need to sharpen it up a little, nothing drastic, keeping the same silouette. So that most fans won't even notice anything, but Lions fans -- and us -- will notice the improvement.

If the Lions do switch things up in the near future, they first need to ditch the black and go back to the Barry Sanders-era. Keep Bubbles, but for a fresher look, take a page out of the Steelers' book and modify the digits to something similar to their wordmark and just keep the old uniforms.

Just an idea, but this is what I came up with...

lions_2010.png

6uXNWAo.png

What "it" are you referring to? I didn't think the logo was changed other than adding a black outline to it.

It wasn't changed. But before the black was added, it blended into the background. The outline makes it much easier to tell that it's a lion.

I really don't understand the people who want to jettison black from the uniform

Cause its black, and all teams that add black (no matter how small an addition it actually is) are the devil.

People act like these uniforms are so much different, then the "Barry Sanders-era" uniforms are. They really, are not.

Some of the black additions to the current uniform worked very well. Don't particularly like the black outline on the white jersey's. But, the rest of it, including the black alts, worked well. Black and honolulu blue, are striking colors, when paired together, and really make the blue "pop".

I may be the only one who feels this way, but...here goes...

...Apply a slight tweak/update to Bubbles, keep the honolulu blue and silver...and scrap everything else. I mean completely. Northwestern sleeve stripes, regular block numbers, the black--all of it. Wipe the slate completely clean...and start over.

While I do understand (and agree) that the Billy Sims/Barry Sanders era uniform was very visually appealing, it is also just that--a uniform of a past era. For those who connotate going back to a uniform of a successful era (or, at least as successul an era as the Lions could have had) with reinvigorating success in the current day and time, I keep thinking back to a certain Rick Pitino quote--and I don't remember if he was with Kentucky or the Celtics when he said this, or what player he was referencing (I think it was the Celtics and Larry Bird), but it went something like this:

"(Named player) ain't walking through that door."

That's not to say I want to see the Lions go the crazy piping/razzle-dazzle route in the vein of the recent Cardinals update and, in some ways, that of the Vikings two or three years ago, but I just feel like if the team wishes to use an updated uniform to help represent the ushering in of a fresh start and a new era in the Lions' story (like so many other teams have done over the years), then put some thought into it and really take it there.

(Of course, having said all that, we got to remember that William Clay Ford still owns the team and Martin Mayhew is still GM. So um...unless divine intervention sets in with the front office and they actually start building a good team, I don't really know how good a bearing a full-out change, or any change, really, is going to have. ^_^ )

And now I think I'll go run and hide in lieu of the flames that are about to be launched my direction...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I mentioned earlier I liked the Billy Sims era, but I could handle the throwbacks if they put the Leaping Lion on the helmet. Simple and done.

When they first came out with the black, people went crazy. You still see a ton of 'em in the stands. Its just that black is the color that Millen brought to make the Lions look like his beloved Raiders from his playing days and NO ONE in Motown wants anything to do with Millen.

Someone mentioned the Michigan Panthers and ColorWerx showed the colors. Those uniforms were incredible, especially in person. I was there when they beat the Oakland Invaders to advance to the USFL Championship game. Ah, good times. Those uniforms were and still are, among my Top 10 football uniforms of all time.

bhebert2.jpgbhebert.jpg

silver.jpg

I posted this a while ago in the Concepts forum, but I found this version of the Lions' logo in an old commemorative logo file I had:

DetroitLions_PropLogo_SOL_SRGB.gif

It probably has way too much detail in it, but I thought it was interesting.

I think they will revert to an older style of uniform, the prowling lion through the silver and blue streaks will be the primary logo, the leaping lion will be the secondary logo and helmet logo, I don't think stubborn as heck owner William Clay Ford Sr. and Bill Ford Jr. will allow any futuristic changes to the uni because of the tradition of the franchise (even though they went 0-16, but that uni with the black accents was part of the Millen error ,I mean era), something similar to the Giants and Browns did with their unis, I know the new school cats hate to hear it, but IMO what is going to happen because of the owner's input

Detroit61.gif

some modifications that could happen to the 1961 uni

TV numbers moved to the shoulders

Sleeve stripes widened

Pants Stipes widened a little bit (nothing San Francisco had during the 80's)

solid blue socks for home uni

no white outline on the helmet

Blue Silver Blue Stripes

Grey facemask

Black Shoes

White socks with blue northwestern stripes on the road like this sample

Detroit59.gif

ignore the home uni on this set and helmet on both home and away

something back to the night train, dick lebeau, lem barney, and alex karras (before the gambling) days

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I posted this a while ago in the Concepts forum, but I found this version of the Lions' logo in an old commemorative logo file I had:

The mouth... it's OPEN!!!!

I never understood why there was that seemingly random spot in the logo, but now I see why!

It'd look better with the mouth shut.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I say get rid of the black ,update the logo ala the Cardinals(nothing drastic) and go with more of a Barry Saunders era uni.

I still think Walter Layton was the best of all time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

While youre tossing out the black, take white with you. a blue and silver combo ala raiders silver/black would be awesome. honolulu/ navy/ silver would be even better. as for the lion, i agree a tweak would be nice. some navy details defining face, mane, and some shading would be easy and efficient.

The mouth... it's OPEN!!!!

I never understood why there was that seemingly random spot in the logo, but now I see why!

It'd look better with the mouth shut.

The problem with bubbles is that his lower jaw touches his upper leg (or right leg, as the case may be). There needs to be separation there.

Everyone loves a roundel.

If the Lions hadn't half-assed the application, they would be a great example of how adding black can make some uniforms look much better.

You're right. Had they standardized their use of black and integrated it rather then slapping it on, it would look nice.

That's not what happened though. They did indeed half-assed it. So rather then judging the uniforms they have now on what could have been, I'll judge them on what they actually are. Which is a classic design ruined by the sloppy application of a new colour.

Archived