Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think they need to go in a completely new direction. new logo and color scheme.

something Tama Bay did with their unis years ago?

yes

The difference being that the traditional Lions look isn't terrible, whereas the Bucco Bruce look was.

I've always liked the combination of black and blue, so I want to reiterate that I had no objection to the Lions incorporating black into their scheme...just that I wasn't all that impressed with how it was done. Enormous stripes on tiny sleeves just don't work for me, so some kind of reduction will have to occur in the next set...but I'm not calling for the elimination of the stripes. FWIW, I don't think it works all that well for Pittsburgh any more, either.

I think you could tweak the current set and be fine. Doubt that will happen, though.

New Unis = Playoff success

It's for that very reason why I would not complain all year if the team does take a different uni-wize direction. A retro look can look really good in their colors but I would not limit myself to just that.

PLAYOFFS?? LIONS??? PLAYOFFS???? (Is there any way to type in a Jim Mora Voice?)

Hey, if new uniforms got the Cardinals into the Super Bowl then they're capable of anything.

Worked to get the Broncos the trophy too, so I'm REEEALLLY hoping the Saints get off their a**es and do something with their unis soon.

And oh, a decent defense would help, too. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I respect your research and acknowledge that you are our resident color expert, but I have never seen a photo for the 1965 through 1979 uniforms in which the jerseys looked anywhere near as dark as the swatch you have here. I realize there are issues of monitor calibration, color accuracy of the original photos, etc., but your example just seems kind of dark to me, FWIW.

I went back to an official 1977 Style Guide sheet and re-measured the color chips on there to see if my estimate is off. And, yes, it's probably too dark.

Here's my new estimate (which is what I originally had, but then changed it):

DetroitLionsBlue_1979_SOL_SRGB.jpg

My previous post regarding this color will also change as well.

However, if you think that original estimate was too dark, wait 'till you see what they officially used for the 1994 throwbacks (these are using actual confirmed Pantone values):

DetroitLions_SP1_1994_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Damn...those first two colors are damn-near Dallas Cowboys territory!!!

(Which is funny...because until my sense of color really fully bloomed around age 12, I used to always confuse the Lions and Cowboys for each other. ^_^ )

Who hasn't? I used to always get the Cowboys and Lions confused when I was a kid... particulary the white uniforms.

The last time the Lions won a playoff game was in 1991, against Dallas. Troy Aikman threw a bushel of interceptions. The announcers remarked that maybe it was because the uniforms were so similar: colors, helmet and pants stripes, etc.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The Detroit Lions held a "Town Hall" style meeting for select season ticket holders last night. The question arose as to whether the Lions would change their uniforms.

From an Oakland (County) Press writer/blogger: "(Team President Tom) Lewand hinted that changes to the uniform and leaping Lion logo will be coming, though maybe not until the 2010 season. Uniform changes for this year had to be submitted last November. 'Stay tuned,' Lewand said." Blog regarding Lions Town Hall Meeting

The same story was reported on Detroit's Fox2 News by sports announcer and Lions radio, play-by-play man, Dan Miller.

I guess I'm in the minority because I never really liked the Lions logo UNITL they added black. It seems to make the blue and the logo pop. Same with the 49ers adding black. I also like the Ravens logo (well, without the B) but that seems to be a univerally hated logo here next to the Buffalo Banana Slug.

Wasn't there a Lions logo proposed a few years back that was pretty much a lion leaping fron maybe the ribcage up?

I respect your research and acknowledge that you are our resident color expert, but I have never seen a photo for the 1965 through 1979 uniforms in which the jerseys looked anywhere near as dark as the swatch you have here. I realize there are issues of monitor calibration, color accuracy of the original photos, etc., but your example just seems kind of dark to me, FWIW.

I went back to an official 1977 Style Guide sheet and re-measured the color chips on there to see if my estimate is off. And, yes, it's probably too dark.

Here's my new estimate (which is what I originally had, but then changed it):

DetroitLionsBlue_1979_SOL_SRGB.jpg

My previous post regarding this color will also change as well.

However, if you think that original estimate was too dark, wait 'till you see what they officially used for the 1994 throwbacks (these are using actual confirmed Pantone values):

DetroitLions_SP1_1994_SOL_SRGB.jpg

This new estimate seems much closer to the photos I've seen. Thanks!

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

ColorWerx, what is the current Pantone for the logo on the helmet now. It looks alot darker than the jerseys and might not be a bad color to go with either. Also to those saying they should scrap everythig and go in a new direction it's just not going to happen they already stated they are looking for evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

ColorWerx, what is the current Pantone for the logo on the helmet now. It looks alot darker than the jerseys and might not be a bad color to go with either. Also to those saying they should scrap everythig and go in a new direction it's just not going to happen they already stated they are looking for evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

And again, that's the exact phrase that the Eagles used just prior to introducing midnight green jerseys and pants, and dropping silver.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And again, that's the exact phrase that the Eagles used just prior to introducing midnight green jerseys and pants, and dropping silver.

And I'm thinking that's just might be a good thing.

Think about teams that have taken that "evolutionary" step:

Eagles

Broncos

Buccaneers

Falcons

Cardinals

Bengals

Chargers

From a logo side of things, I only consider the Bengals to have downgraded. Everyone else IMPROVED their identities (even if they still have minor flaws).

But from the uniform aspect, I would consider only the Eagles, Buccaneers, and Cardinals to have upgraded their look.

So I guess in applying this to the Lions, I would be for a brand new identity. The time has come for us to put Bubbles in the past. It's a great helmet logo, but that's about it. It's old, out-dated, and is just begging to be put down... (and this is coming from someone who was all for return to the 1970's look...)

And again...I say we should prepare for the impending introduction of midnight honolulu... ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And again...I say we should prepare for the impending introduction of midnight honolulu... ^_^

Sounds like a Melrose Place-esque spin-off of "Hawaii Five-O".

Considering the sporadic success the Lions have enjoyed, an overhaul the likes of what the Bucs did wouldn't be out of order. A successful revamp will maintain some historical continuity while better differentiating themselves from other teams like the Cowboys and Panthers. A failure would be to tuck tail and go back to a dated, uninspired look from a "good ol' days" that never existed. I don't believe a change away from bubbles is needed, outside of maybe a modernization.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived