Lions uniform changes

Proc

Where did you gather that they are using a drop shadow? I have seen nothing that suggests that. As far as those uniforms, if legit, nothing to be excited about. They are better than what they had this past season, but not much different. They look A LOT like my lions uniform concept from years ago.

As ColorWerx, so correctly pointed out recently, the Lions main objective seems to be cleaning up their stripe pattern and making them match throughout the uniform. Looking at the old Lions uni's and comparing them to these potential new threads, really points out how badly "mis-striped" the old uni's were.

The helmet stripe, sleeve stripe and pant stripe, look like they will all match. That is a big improvement.

The colors didn't need to change. The Honalulu Blue, Silver and Black, were already great colors together. The black used in the Lions scheme, is really perfect and makes the blue, really "pop".

New logo, is an improvement.

Overall, it looks like a winner to me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

give it 5 years and we'll go from there the only dud is the socks. I dont like the black stripe on the socks. overall it's decent numerals matching the word mark and stripes on the helmets and pants looks like SF. I would have preferred the 1961 look but it's good to me let's give it 5 years

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Okay then. Is that a black facemask, or just poor picture quality? And does the rest of the numeral font bear as uncomfortable a resemblance to the Eagles'?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Okay then. Is that a black facemask, or just poor picture quality? And does the rest of the numeral font bear as uncomfortable a resemblance to the Eagles'?

Yes, the facemask is black. Just to be on the safe side though, I am going to shut my mouth now. Sorry guys.

Seeing the two logos side-by-side reinforces my first impression of an upgrade. It's a nice modernization.

As far as the uniforms, it doesn't look like they scaled back as far as I'd hoped. The black still looks out of place to me, even though they standardized the striping. It still looks like an add-on, especially on the blue. (Could be partly due to the blurry scanned sheet, but is that black-white-gray?) Maybe it always will look wrong to me. The numbers? Well, I figured that was coming. Half thought they'd go Orlando Predators and match the wordmark slashes.

But I really like the logo. Maybe a clearer look will make the rest look better, too.

Looks like the Jags (old?) font to me.

Hopefully it's original, though.

I definitely think so. I would like to see a side by side though.

Big let down on the uniforms. I can't believe that in this era of form-fitting sleeveless jerseys, a team would make a uniform change and still incorporate traditional sleeve stripes. The new logo is "charging", agressive and has contemporary elements, but the uniforms are "standing still" for lack of a better term. I'm not advocating a Cardinals / Vikings update, but I think it is possible to come up with something that is classic and contemporary, and at least translates well on modern templates.

It definitely looks like the Jaguars' font, but it's hard to tell from that picture.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Someone said in the Jags thread that the Jags will be switching to a more standard block font (unconfirmed). Maybe they gave their font to the Lions.

Overall, I like these. I don't consider it a lateral move. They upgraded the logo. They upgraded the wordmark (maybe not as much as they could have, but it's better for sure and I think it could stand the test of time). They didn't change the uniforms much, but they upgraded the striping by making it consistent across the jerseys, helmets and pants.

We need to celebrate uniform changes like this. The Lions got it right. Now is not the time to whine that they didn't do enough. Think of how badly this could have gone!

Now that I've gotten a chance to see most of if not all of this "new" identity for the Lions, I've come to this simple conclusion:

They blew it.

Looked at as a whole, this new identity does not impress me. As the Philly cat said above, you've got a "sleeker", more modern Lion with these "definition lines"--yet still constrained by that out-of-place black outline. (BTW...there's the silver in the logo? That is, unless the white is interchangeable for silver.) Then you've got this new wordmark that looks more like someone snipped some claw shapes out of the edges of the letters and then used the "Wave" effect in Illustrator and then mailed it in--oh, and let me not forget this part: the script mark is without black outline. A little incongruous, no? Then with these new uniforms. Good that they decided to standardize the striping patterns, BUT...two things here. One, why keep the black in the first place? The way it's used STILL makes it look like an afterthought. The black facemask (from what it appears)...why? And two...if they spent all that "time and energy" looking to modernize their identity, why stay with the same "traditional" look? (And BBTV, excellent point about the sleeve stripes and "armholes" o.k.a. "sleeves".) New number font...arranged in the same triple-layer style as the previous set. Shoulda just kept traditional block for all that.

Maybe it's time I dust off and finish up that Lions concept I've been hiding from y'all for the past two years... ^_^

EDIT: In retrospect, Jezus Ghoti, I guess I can kinda go with that. This could have gone far worse...but overall, I still ain't feeling it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As I said before, I really like the updated Bubbles. Its been a fixture here in Motown forever. Yes, its a losing identity, but its ours, LOL.

As for the uniforms...

It doesn't look like the black sleeve stripes were incorporated into the stripe pattern. They look like arm bands again, just on thinner scale.

The wordmark is fine. I never liked the circus-font, old one.

Jersey number font...the jury is out on this for me. I need to see it on real jersey. I am fan of the traditional block font numbers, so this is different. As someone mentioned, is this the font the Jaguars use/used?

And you can't tell from the pic, but is there any silver on the road jersey at all?

Overall? So far, it's o.k. Nothing great, but nothing bad. Evolutionary not revolutionary.

I really would've liked to see the throwback uniforms with the new Bubbles on the helmet. That would've been perfect. Kind of like this (I know the color doesn't match up, I'm not a photo shop expert by any means):

LionsThrowbackWNewBubbles.jpg

just on the supposed legitimate sheet, the uniforms (and maybe the logo) could be early incarnations, i do not believe the version number in the bottom left is a fate, so the helmets and uniforms may have changed. just saying it could be a possibility,(if i end up wrong sorry for the false hope)

by the way the script is one of the best scripts out there, definitely has a feel of a lion's tail in the letters

The Lions new unis remind me a lot of what the 49ers did.

Outside of them keeping the black in the uniform, I'm really happy with the look.

Not sure why everything has to go to piping or swooshes on the jerseys and pants.

I'll take this look over Denver's or Atlanta's any day. But hey, that's just me. :)

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but on Headline News this morning, the Lions' logo leak got a mention on the sports segment. It was very much in the same vein of "Those bumbling Lions can't even unveil a logo properly!"

Archived